Plugin API for creating custom two factor auths

Options
atishay811
atishay811
Community Member

There are multiple 2nd factor auth implementations out there. Is it possible to say only on desktop have a programmatic way to plug-in an algorithm that generates 2nd factor auth keys which could be used in the same UI and maybe store some secret key within 1Password. I don't mind it being another process running in background doing this. That way potentially we could have plugins for things like VIP Access/Authy/Okta that could sync everything via 1Password and work with the same UI.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@atishay811: Thanks for getting in touch! Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do? I'm not certain how this pertains to 1Password. Perhaps an example would help. 1Password itself supports the TOTP standard, both for generating one-time passwords and also as two-factor authentication for signing into 1Password.com accounts. Interested to hear more about what you have in mind. Thanks in advance! :)

• atishay811
    atishay811
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I am looking to integrate something like https://github.com/cyrozap/python-vipaccess into 1Password. There seems to be no way to create a plugin like that. I understand the reasons why your team cannot do that, but an open source extension that provides this and is able to sync this across macs will be very useful.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Not sure whether I understand this correctly, but don’t you have to run that Python script just once? From then on you should be able to use the 1Password built-in TOTP generator.

At least that’s what some people (including me) did for PayPal’s VIP access:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/73050/totp-for-paypal-in-1password-success/p1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@atishay811: I think XIII may be right. Definitely take a look at that. 1Password won't be able to help you with proprietary stuff where it has nothing to work with, but in cases where an open standard like TOTP is being used that may work. You may also want to check out the CLI app (currently in beta), as that can be used in automation, and we're always interested in feedback and different use cases as we build it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.