Local vaults on smartphones

Desentyer
Desentyer
Community Member

Hi guys,

The basic problem I have is the missing Google Drive sync. You noticed this feature request since years and from what I know from the forum is that you're waiting for a required technical solution from Google side or something like that. Correct?

So, you implemented the possibility to add local vaults to 1Password in the Windows and also the Mac version. I moved my vault files to my Google Drive synced folder and bam, here is my Google Drive feature :D (Please give me a hint if you see in Google Drive any security problem!) I know its a little bit like a workaround. The only missing part is now my smartphone which has to be synchronized via wifi server. Main problem: Only one device can be the wifi server. Regarding this problem I thought "why didn't AgileBits implemented local storages on Android devices?"
Google drive provides the option to make files locally available on your smartphone. For Android this feature is only available for single files, not for complete folders and thats a problem but could by solved anyway by the user. (E.g. apps like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.drivesync&hl=de)
In my eyes it would be a great step forward for your Android app and your complete software concept! I am not familiar with iOS but maybe there is also the possibility to implement this feature for iPhones and iPads?

What do you think?

Greetings from Germany
Desentyer

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The basic problem I have is the missing Google Drive sync. You noticed this feature request since years and from what I know from the forum is that you're waiting for a required technical solution from Google side or something like that. Correct?

@Desentyer: We stopped waiting and built our own. :)

So, you implemented the possibility to add local vaults to 1Password in the Windows and also the Mac version. I moved my vault files to my Google Drive synced folder and bam, here is my Google Drive feature :D (Please give me a hint if you see in Google Drive any security problem!) I know its a little bit like a workaround. The only missing part is now my smartphone which has to be synchronized via wifi server. Main problem: Only one device can be the wifi server. Regarding this problem I thought "why didn't AgileBits implemented local storages on Android devices?"

1Password for Android supports local folder sync for AgileKeychain. Support for OPVault will be added in version 7.

Google drive provides the option to make files locally available on your smartphone. For Android this feature is only available for single files, not for complete folders and thats a problem but could by solved anyway by the user. (E.g. apps like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.drivesync&hl=de) In my eyes it would be a great step forward for your Android app and your complete software concept! I am not familiar with iOS but maybe there is also the possibility to implement this feature for iPhones and iPads? What do you think?

It's not something we can recommend or support, but you're welcome to try it on Android. Just be sure to backup your data as Google Drive isn't something we have control over. On iOS it is not possible to write to an arbitrary "folder" outside of an app's sandbox. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• elvismacak
    elvismacak
    Community Member

This app supports folder sync with GoogleDrive, is google providing the feature after your result?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As I mentioned above, while you're free to use Google Drive if you wish, it's not something we support.

This discussion has been closed.