Feedback on the new 1Password mini

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add that the preference to keep your social security number out of mini seems to have disappeared.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot to mention, please add a way to re-center the min window after dragging it around. Kind of like how you can long-press the spotlight icon in the menu bar to recenter spotlight.

• dem
    dem
    Community Member
    Options

What kind of keyboard/layout are you using? I always do it one-handed, with my right thumb on and my right ring finger on \.

@brenty What finger is on ? I find one-handed double modifiers tricky with adjacent keys. I have a pre-butterfly MacBook Pro. I'll have to practice or re-map it because the shortcut is just too useful.

Can you tell me more about the context? What vault format are you using, and how old is the item involved? Anything else interesting about it?

I have a Families account and I created that note moments before taking the screenshot. I deliberately named the note so that it was first in the list. Before that a different note was first and showed the same symptoms, but it was one I didn't wish to share in a screenshot.

Here's another screenshot with a tall mini. First I stretched mini and then put it away. In the main window I deleted the previous first note and created a new one. Then I called up mini and navigated directly to the first note. If I then resize mini the display corrects itself. Just a minor annoyance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@whiteblade: You can edit any item to set "Display" to "Never display in browser", but that isn't working in the new 1Password mini yet. We'll get it fixed. :)

ref: apple-1323

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not going to comment on the new 1P Mini layout. There are things I preferred in the old one, and others I like in the new one. Most importantly, I feel the new big 1P Mini behaves much faaaster (open, search, etc.).

@thibaut: Glad you're enjoying it already, and it's only going to get better. :chuffed:

But you know what's really cool?
    Dark theme works without the icon in the menu bar! :sunglasses:
    Previously, the 1P Mini icon/menu had to be in the menu bar for the dark theme to work. It's not the case any more, and I'm happy to remove it since I never used this icon. :wink:

Glad you noticed! It's a small thing, but there's a lot of stuff like that which was constrained by the old design. We're also happy to have the flexibility to do a lot more to make 1Password mini both nicer to use and look at. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

What finger is on ⌥? I find one-handed double modifiers tricky with adjacent keys. I have a pre-butterfly MacBook Pro. I'll have to practice or re-map it because the shortcut is just too useful.

@dem: Sorry, I was a bit stupid there. I was thinking of "fill login" — ⌘ \ — not "show mini" — ⌘ ⌥ \ — when clearly you referenced the latter. I do think it could help you a lot to find a keyboard shortcut that better suits you, but I do apologize for causing that confusion. I'm not quite that dextrous! :lol:

First I stretched mini and then put it away. In the main window I deleted the previous first note and created a new one. Then I called up mini and navigated directly to the first note. If I then resize mini the display corrects itself. Just a minor annoyance.

Ah, that explains it. We'll see if we can get that fixed up. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I forgot to mention, please add a way to re-center the min window after dragging it around. Kind of like how you can long-press the spotlight icon in the menu bar to recenter spotlight.

@dem: We're thinking it might be nice to have it snap to center when you drag it there. Thanks! :)

ref: apple-865

• thefella
    thefella
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I'd share my feedback as well. Like a lot of people here, I think the 'mini' is now too big. There isn't enough difference between the mini and normal. It's like having an iPhone Plus and an iPad Mini.

With the latest beta update, I now can't move the mini window around. It opens in the middle of the screen and has no way to drag it into a useful position. 1Password also doesn't up at login now for some reason.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @thefella! :)

Ben

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

You can click and drag the top of the window to move it wherever you want.

@brenty Until you mentioned this, I had no idea! I had tried to drag the window several times, by clicking in negative space under the Password Generator or on the Categories title, or by clicking and dragging in the 1Password search field itself, or by using three finger touch on a touchpad.

I would love if dragging worked more like Spotlight, where the window can be dragged right from the search bar or other negative space.

Other than that, I think moving Identities above Credit Cards will be another positive move when that happens in a future release. Overall, I'm continuing to really enjoy the new 1Password Mini.

• jaysee_au
    jaysee_au
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Apologies if this has been raised before, but it seems that the "suggested" login matching is broken in the new Mini.

I regularly find myself searching for a login using mini (with Cmd-\, which I also find works anywhere rather than just in the browser now, vs having Command-Option-\ in v6?) and now it's far less efficient as it seems to no longer match the domain of the current window and suggest those logins first. Is this a design choice or a bug? 🤔

1Password mini v6

1Password mini v7

Thanks!
    John

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Apologies if this has been raised before, but it seems that the "suggested" login matching is broken in the new Mini.

@jaysee_au: I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the context here, but it appears that you're searching in 1Password mini. At that point, it isn't showing you results based on the current webpage (which will only happen if the browser is focused anyway), but rather based on your search term.

Now, I agree that there's room for improvement in search and suggested in general, but it doesn't seem like that's reflected in this case. Please let me know if I've misunderstood though, or if there are more concrete steps to reproduce what you're reporting.

But I did also want to mention that the purpose of ⌘ \ working globally now is that it, well...works globally to match logins. Just try it in iTunes or the App Store. We can't integrate with those, but it's very helpful nevertheless. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

Until you mentioned this, I had no idea! I had tried to drag the window several times, by clicking in negative space under the Password Generator or on the Categories title, or by clicking and dragging in the 1Password search field itself, or by using three finger touch on a touchpad.

@EnerJi: Yeah, it's a bit of a narrow margin there...

I would love if dragging worked more like Spotlight, where the window can be dragged right from the search bar or other negative space.

I'm not certain we can do that, but I agree that might be good. However, someone else raised the possibility of using the lock screen for moving the window. What do you think of that?

Other than that, I think moving Identities above Credit Cards will be another positive move when that happens in a future release.

Agreed! :)

Overall, I'm continuing to really enjoy the new 1Password Mini.

Glad to hear it! And definitely let us know if you have any other feedback on how we can make it better. :chuffed:

• jaysee_au
    jaysee_au
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the context here, but it appears that you're searching in 1Password mini. At that point, it isn't showing you results based on the current webpage (which will only happen if the browser is focused anyway), but rather based on your search term.

Now, I agree that there's room for improvement in search and suggested in general, but it doesn't seem like that's reflected in this case. Please let me know if I've misunderstood though, or if there are more concrete steps to reproduce what you're reporting.

Well, I'm searching from the browser just the way I used to ( same shortcut, ⌘ \ ) - and I have 217 Google logins in my vault (I'm an IT Consultant) so searching them is the only practical way to use 1Password Mini. It was invoked the way it always has been (shortcut), and as you can see, in v6 it used to still provide the suggested logins... So it sounds like this is an unintended side effect of a new model (being that 1Password Mini is available "everywhere all the time"... which is fine, except when you invoke it from a browser plugin I'd kinda expect it to still work the way it did. 🤷‍♂️)

But I did also want to mention that the purpose of ⌘ \ working globally now is that it, well...works globally to match logins. Just try it in iTunes or the App Store. We can't integrate with those, but it's very helpful nevertheless. ;)

I'll try that, but given I only use my own login there, and it's 2FA, password filling is of minimal use given I can copy and paste as I've always done for the couple of times a year I need to. Perhaps 1Password mini could be made intelligent to know when it's in a browser (doesn't seem unreasonable) and when it's not...? Or give us the option to use Cmd-Opt-\ as in the past for "global mini"?

Either way, all I can say is it's incredibly frustrating to not be able to just search and then hit enter (i.e. hit cmd-\, type 4 letters of person's name, hit return to autofill as the top entry was always the right site's login. This used to be the workflow I'd do hundreds of times a week across many different websites... now I get other logins for that same name offered before the one for the site I was on before I invoked 1Password mini... 🤷‍♂️

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, I'm searching from the browser just the way I used to ( same shortcut, ⌘ \ ) - and I have 217 Google logins in my vault (I'm an IT Consultant) so searching them is the only practical way to use 1Password Mini. It was invoked the way it always has been (shortcut), and as you can see, in v6 it used to still provide the suggested logins... So it sounds like this is an unintended side effect of a new model (being that 1Password Mini is available "everywhere all the time"... which is fine, except when you invoke it from a browser plugin I'd kinda expect it to still work the way it did. 🤷‍♂️)

@jaysee_au: I guess I'm not clear on what you're referring to. I think you're assuming that I know things about your workflow that I don't. Can you give me an example? I've got a lot of Google logins too, just not that many. I am able to find things by searching. To be clear, "suggested" is brand new, so there's nothing to compare it to in version 6. Is that maybe throwing you off?

I'll try that, but given I only use my own login there, and it's 2FA, password filling is of minimal use given I can copy and paste as I've always done for the couple of times a year I need to.

Wait, you're doing WHAT?! NOOOOOOOO!!! Definitely don't copy and paste! A while ago (about a year?) we introduced automatic TOTP copy. If you use 1Password to fill the login, it will copy its one-time password to the clipboard for you. Give that a try and let me know if that helps.

Perhaps 1Password mini could be made intelligent to know when it's in a browser (doesn't seem unreasonable) and when it's not...?

Again, there's information here I'm missing. What are you doing, and what is happening (or not) that's different from what you expect?

Or give us the option to use Cmd-Opt-\ as in the past for "global mini"?

⌘ ⌥ \ is just the keyboard shortcut for "show 1Password mini". Nothing fancier than that. ⌘ \ is for "fill login", but if 1Password cannot fill when you invoke this, it will at least try to show you relevant information based on the context, like the website you're at or the app that's focused.

Either way, all I can say is it's incredibly frustrating to not be able to just search and then hit enter (i.e. hit cmd-\, type 4 letters of person's name, hit return to autofill as the top entry was always the right site's login. This used to be the workflow I'd do hundreds of times a week across many different websites... now I get other logins for that same name offered before the one for the site I was on before I invoked 1Password mini... 🤷‍♂️

Let's break it down. When you do this, what is the URL you're visiting, and the URL for the login you want to fill?

• jaysee_au
    jaysee_au
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty ... Ok, I don't really understand what isn't clear from my screenshots / previous descriptions but I'll try again as this change is driving me nuts and wasting heaps of time.

I use 1Password mini to autofill logins in websites. It usually can't autofill automatically because I have multiple logins. Previously, it helpfully showed my favourites at the top of the list, and then others logins for that site below it. I could search that list, and the logins matching the search pattern that matched the current page (that I'd invoked Cmd-\ for) would be grouped at the top.

This is what I did on v6:

1. Find myself at a login page
    2. Press Cmd-\
    3. Type a string (in my screenshots "mark p" above) to limit the list of logins
    4. On v6, all the logins that match the search string which are for the current page were grouped at the top (look at the screenshot above)
    5. Arrow cursor down (almost always a single stroke down) and hit return to autofill that login
    6. Login would complete6.

On v7 that workflow doesn't work.

1. Find myself at a login page
    2. Press Cmd-\
    3. Type a string (in my screenshots "mark p" above) to limit the list of logins
    4. On v7, all logins that match the string are shown, but logins that match the current page are not grouped at the top
    5. Now I need to actually process what each login is, mentally, and press the down arrow a different number of times every time to find the right one. In the screenshot above, for example, the top entry is "Open and Fill" in a new window, but the second option is "Fill" this window. 1Password knows that the second option can fill the current page, those entries just aren't being grouped at the top the way they used to be.
    6. Once I find the right login, I hit return and it works.

So the issue is at Step 5 with the way search results are grouped. This has changed from the old way. Hopefully this helps.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

I see. Thanks @jaysee_au. I’ll pass this along to development and see if this is how they intended it to be, or if perhaps this is a bug.

Ben

ref: apple-1343

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty

I'm not certain we can do that, but I agree that might be good. However, someone else raised the possibility of using the lock screen for moving the window. What do you think of that?

Now that you mention it, dragging from the lock screen seems like a good workaround. At the time, it wasn't immediately obvious to me that dragging the lock screen would affect the positioning of the unlock screen. (Although it's obvious in retrospect.)

Still, I hope the developers are able to come up with a more draggable approach in the unlocked mini as well. Given that the designers seem to have taken some inspiration from Spotlight, it would be nice to see them adopt some of spotlight's "draggability" as well. ;)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback on this @EnerJi. Hopefully we can continue to iterate here. :)

Ben

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

@ben: I hope that it's a bug. I prefer the v6 behavior that @jaysee_au expects. His use case is a compelling one.

• Ben
    Options

I agree, @nils_enevoldsen. :)

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

I assume that before you ship version 7 a modification to allow the mini window to be reduced in size will be made?

• Ben
    Options

I can’t say for certain.

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

hi @Ben,

IMHO, that will be a poorly judged decision. I am finding the size very distracting and annoying on a 12" MacBook. On the other hand, it will keep the forum busy!

• dmz
    dmz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to chime in as another voice for really, really wanting the new mini to be able to pop up somewhere near the toolbar button in my browser when I click on it. I understand that it's possible to use the keyboard to pop it up and fill in logins and all that... but I don't navigate the web with a keyboard. And given that I clicked the toolbar button with the mouse, it feels like I shouldn't have to mouse somewhere else (ranging from "right near the button" to "all the way to the middle of the screen", depending on what browser window I'm in, where it's located, etc.) to use the popup I triggered from the toolbar.

I actually feel the same way about the system menu bar widget; namely, if I mouse up to the menu bar to click on that, the resulting popup should not require me to mouse back to the middle of the screen to use it. It just feels odd, making me do extra work and being visually detached from the point at which I triggered it. I know Spotlight behaves like that as well... but I don't like it there, either, and I basically never use Spotlight anyway.

Obviously, not everybody uses it the same way, and a lot of people like using the keyboard for this sort of thing and don't mind stuff popping up in the middle of their screens; but for me, it breaks me out of the workflow I've had with 1Password for... well, since there's been a browser plugin, and it would be nice if it could optionally open somewhere near the control that triggered it when triggered by a mouse click.

All of this having been said, I like the new look and functionality a lot!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HRD: I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's not necessary to delay getting 1Password 7 out to everyone else who's been waiting patiently for it. The size of 1Password mini isn't a bug at all, and certainly not a showstopper like a security flaw or crasher. Again, there's some agreement, both from customers and folks here who use smaller screens, that making better use of space would be preferable, so it's something we'll continue to work on and refine. There's just no need to rush, as we'll continue to receive updates for the new version for the foreseeable future.

I am curious though about why folks want it to be smaller. I've read a lot of comments that it's too big, but to play devils advocate, so what? Is it preventing you from doing something and negatively impacting your workflow? That's some feedback I haven't seen, and I'd be interested to know exactly how making it smaller would help you and others in actual usage, so we can consider those things as we continue to iterate. Otherwise, if we just "make it smaller", it may end up making the experience worse for people inadvertently. Let me know. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dmz: Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you're liking it overall, but at the same time it's good to know the sorts of improvements you're looking for. Have you tried moving 1Password mini though? You can position it right by the button if you wish. It's easiest to drag when locked, but you can also do so using the top edge when unlocked. Let me know if that helps, or, if it doesn't, why not. Cheers! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

hi @brenty,

I have said my piece - the mini takes up a disproportionate amount of room on a 12" screen but is fine on an iMac. I know it is not a bug.

All I wish is for is the flexibility of altering its size to make the mini smaller - presently you make only make the mini larger.

I trust I am not asking too much relative to your justified reasons for wanting to ship the product?

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

The new mini should at a minimum allow us to collapse the sidebar down to icon level and automatically resize the overall window accordingly. For those using a 12 or 13 inch laptop this eould improve usability considerably. The improvement in our workflow is simply the ability to see more of the underlying website when using the mini.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As a lover of small screens – hell, I even have an iPhone SE! — I agree with the requests to make 1Password mini fit in better on 11- to 13-inch screens. There are definitely some things we are considering, and you can be sure I’ll continue to advocate on your behalf (and mine).

I know a lot of work has gone into making 1Password mini as great as it is, but as brenty mentioned we’re definitely not done. There were some things (like optimizations on smaller screens) that just aren’t going to make it into 7.0. But I’m confident we’ll get it sorted out in one of the many updates on the way. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.