To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password 7: Family subscription vs standalone license. Migration paths.

Options
Andrey Brindeyev
Andrey Brindeyev
Community Member

Hi!

I'm a customer from 2009 and still using the old license model.

Running 1Password 6.8.8 from MAS, syncing the Primary vault to iCloud & the rest of them via Dropbox.

If I remember correctly, we were forced to buy MAS version in the past to be able to sync with iCloud (because of the existing requirements/limitations from Apple). In the recent blog post, I read (in the comments) that standalone version of 1Password 7 will be able to sync via iCloud. Has anything changed on your side or Apple changed this requirement?

I'm looking forward to hearing what might be pros and cons for me staying on MAS version (this implies a monthly Family subscription, I believe) vs buying standalone licenses for every platform (macOS, iOS are currently in use).

Thanks,
Andrey.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 MAS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra, iOS 11
Sync Type: iCloud, Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Andrey Brindeyev

It is true that in the past for an app to sync via iCloud it had to be downloaded through Apple’s App Stores. I suspect to help increase iCloud adoption rates Apple removed this restriction a few years ago.

If you wanted to continue to download/update 1Password through the Mac App Store you would need a subscription membership, yes. We don’t have any plans to offer licensing for standalone 1Password through the App Store further. We’ve detailed the reasoning behind this here.

1Password membership is an entirely 1st party solution. There is no need (and no ability) to sync membership vaults with a 3rd party provider such as Dropbox or iCloud. Doing this has made it possible for us to build sharing features that are easy to use but offer enhanced ability (such as the possibility of saying “I want Billy to have access to Vault A, but I don’t want him to change anything there. He also needs access to Vault B, and needs full access”). This isn’t possible with standalone vaults synced through a 3rd party.

You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Our recommendation, regardless of where you choose to download 1Password from, would be 1Password Families membership. This is particularly true when using 1Password across multiple platforms, muliple vaults, and/or sharing with others. It makes the most sense both from a cost and a feature set perspective.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Andrey Brindeyev
    Andrey Brindeyev
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

Thank you for responding fast! Appreciate quick turn around!

Could you please highlight what my migration path will look like if I decide to use 1Password subscription?

My configuration was outlined in my initial post.

I also would like to take advantage of the discounted 1Password gift card offering, but unable to find where should I purchase them, please advise.

Thanks,
    Andrey.

• Ben
    Options

Thank you for responding fast! Appreciate quick turn around!

You’re very welcome.

I also would like to take advantage of the discounted 1Password gift card offering, but unable to find where should I purchase them, please advise.

Gift cards can be found here:

Give a gift of strong, secure passwords | 1Password

Could you please highlight what my migration path will look like if I decide to use 1Password subscription?

Migration is outlined here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Because you have multiple vaults you’ll need to migrate manually, which is also outlined in that guide. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.