1Password 7 for Windows Release Candidate is here and yep, it is totally lit.

MikeT
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Guys, it's here. It's finally here. Our first release candidate of 1Password 7 for Windows and best part is yet to come.

Download link

You can now buy licenses for 1Password 7 for Windows and register it right from the store. We've made a lot of improvements in this update because in addition to supporting licenses, we're also making it easier to migrate your standalone vaults to your new 1Password account if you add the standalone vault first and 1Password account afterward.

Here's our changelog showing what's new since the last beta update:

[NEW] 1Password can now be licensed with the new 1Password 7 for Windows licenses. Be sure to grab it now to get the beta discount. You can find the option to purchase in the 1Password menu. {OPW-1798, OPW-2147, OPW-2174}
[NEW] 1Password now supports read-only mode for standalone vaults if no license has been registered. {OPW-1798, OPW-2194}
[NEW] Added Help menu > About 1Password and 1Password menu > License windows. {OPW-1618}
[NEW] You can now copy standalone items with attachments and custom icons included to 1Password accounts. {OPW-1992}
[NEW] 1Password now offers to migrate your local data to your new 1Password account if you've signed in after first adding your standalone vault. {OPW-2170}
[NEW] If 1Password prompts to save a new Login item while you're in read-only mode, it will alert you of this and keep this dialog open to give you a chance to register your license or sign in to your 1Password account first. It'll update the Save Login dialog in real time to let you save this item. {OPW-2171}
[NEW] 1Password will automatically update the Master Password to the 1Password account's Master Password if the first standalone vault has been removed and the next available vault is in a 1Password account. {OPW-1881}
[IMPROVED] Nested tags can now be created without requiring a parent tag and support multiple-words in tag names. {OPW-2099, OPW-2139}
[IMPROVED] In the item's tags field, nested tags are now included in the auto-completion list.
[IMPROVED] Improved accessibility and keyboard support on the sidebar all views can be navigated to and you can tab to select the vault manage button that is next to each vault in the vault list. {OPW-1172}
[IMPROVED] We've improved accessibility for both the item details viewer and editor. 1Password will also announce new One-Time Password codes after it expires. {OPW-1370, OPW-375}
[IMPROVED] 1Password mini is now fully accessible with all items labeled for screen readers to use. {OPW-1611}
[IMPROVED] Strong Password Generator and Settings on the 1Password mini sidebar is now accessible with the arrow keys. {OPW-1358}
[IMPROVED] 1Password mini can now switch between sidebar and item list with right and left arrow keys. {OPW-1372}
[IMPROVED] When saving Logins using 1Password extensions, 1Password will now show up in the middle of the browser instead of right next to the mouse cursor. {OPW-1274}
[IMPROVED] We've pulled in a fresh set of translation improvements in all languages and we've localized more of the 1Password interface, including the search string in the search fields, One-Time Password options, custom field type selector, and the Document file drop areas. {OPW-2168, OPW-2166, OPW-2165, OPW-2161}
[IMPROVED] We've also improved some of the UIs to accommodate the longer translated strings such as the update buttons in Settings that was cut off at the far right side. {OPW-2169, OPW-2114}
[IMPROVED] In Settings, the text font size now dynamically adjusts to match the main interface. {OPW-2113}
[IMPROVED] All buttons and descriptions in Settings will now wrap around the next line instead of being clipped on the far right side, this will help with localizations. {OPW-1056}
[IMPROVED] 1Password now includes frozen account or read-only vaults in the vault list when saving new Login items and/or setting the default vault for saving. {OPW-1034}
[IMPROVED] 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) can now be imported into standalone vaults. Note: custom icons and attachments are not yet supported. {OPW-1307}
[IMPROVED] When importing 1PIF files, folders will be converted to nested tags. {OPW-1865, OPW-1442}
[IMPROVED] Import tag will now be created with dashes in its date instead of / to prevent being nested by date in the tags list. {OPW-2088}
[IMPROVED] 1Password will display a tooltip on frozen and read-only items to explain why they are either frozen or read-only. {OPW-2070}
[IMPROVED] 1Password is now better at showing exact Login item matches when scanning Login items with multiple URLs saved. {OPW-1337}
[IMPROVED] When opening legacy Agile Keychain vaults, 1Password will provide more details on what it will do to convert it to OPVault and provide a link to help configure it on other devices. {OPW-2173}
[IMPROVED] After converting your legacy Agile Keychain vaults to OPVault format, 1Password will rename the Agile Keychain folder extension to .legacyagilekeychain.
[IMPROVED] Shortcut key or Shift + F10 now works on 1Password mini's item and vault lists without requiring you to tab and select them first. {OPW-2184}
[FIXED] Security Audit's Weak Passwords incorrectly included items from Credit Card, Bank Account and a few other categories that didn't have a password field. {OPW-2131}
[FIXED] Watchtower was not able to update its database in certain conditions.
[FIXED] Legacy expiration dates for Credit Card items are now upgraded properly when converting to OPVault. {OPW-2144}
[FIXED] Moving Document items while they are queued for file upload can leave them stuck in the destination vault. 1Password will now skip any Document items that are still pending. {OPW-1929}
[FIXED] 1Password Save Login window didn't show rounded custom icons. {OPW-1460}
[FIXED] 1Password Save Login window would appear beyond the monitor's boundary if your mouse cursor is there while pressing enter on the keyboard. {OPW-2141}
[FIXED] Switching a custom date field to the text field would return a "AgileBits.OnePassword.SectionDateFieldPart" error string. {OPW-2178}
[FIXED] When tabbing to the vault list in 1Password mini, it was not possible to navigate back to the sidebar. {OPW-2178}
[FIXED] In the Settings > Browsers view, the connected or rejected browsers were not properly announced. {OPW-1079}

Comments

• Hi @MarcoZ, I wanted to ping you to let you know that we've made a lot of accessibility improvements to both the main 1Password app and especially the 1Password mini, please give it a try and let us know if there's still anything we've missed.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT , I've been running the beta (still standalone) and it's a vast improvement over 1P4. I'm a little unsure of my best purchase option though.

I had a 1P4 family license as my wife and I use all the computers, however we only ever used one vault. Now I can choose to upgrade to 1P7 Standalone, so do I need to buy two licenses (one each for the same vault)? Each license costs a similar amount to the family subscription (but of course is one-off) so I'm unclear on what my options are.

Thanks,
    James

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

A bit more info about my environment below.

A minimum of 4 computers at any one time, all Windows.
    A minimum of 2 phones, all Android.
    One vault synced between all devices, historically as local vault but experimenting with Dropbox.

I currently have the 1P4 family licence and have also licensed the Android app on both phones so I've essentially already paid for the subscription "access anywhere" features, but want to upgrade 1P4 to 7... I guess the main question is just whether I need one standalone license per user, or just per vault (since we share the same vault and Windows logon etc).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wraith: Indeed, 1Password is sold per-person, so you'd need a separate license for each of you if you go the standalone route. It does sound like Dropbox would work for you...but I will say that I felt the same way until I tried 1Password Families to get my own family on board using 1Password more. They had in the past, but basically only when I nagged them to. This actually got them using it much much, and without complaining! And, in the process, I found that I rather liked the simplicity of 1Password.com both for my own use and because it reduced "support costs" (i.e. family members needing help). Just my two cents. :)

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member

Totally agree with you Brenty. Not having to configure Dropbox on all devices was a real bonus when more than one family member was involved. Having it installed means now people will use it and automatically having a shared vault is useful if you want to share a login account (e.g. a shopping site) without sharing your whole private vault (my wife like to log into my HHonours account to see where she can use my points - storing that in the shared vault makes it really easy).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, it's saved me more time than I will ever really know! :lol:

• Eden Bensal
    Eden Bensal
    Community Member

I've bought the license today! I've been using 1password for 2-3 years in my mac and iOS device and I have one woro to say: AWESOME!!!

• Hi @Eden Bensal,

Definitely awesome, thank you for buying the license. The best part is yet to come, so much features we want to implement soon.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Hi, hope this is the best place for my issue. Updated to the release candidate, and am in the process of deleting my current tag structure, now nested-tags are supported. To do this, I went to All Items, and used Ctrl+A to select everything. Then proceeded to use the right-click menu to remove each tag group

However, after my first attempt at removing tags, usually 1-2 tags in a group (e.g. banking & money) remained and needed another removal pass. In the case of my Software Licences tag group, it's needed multiple removal passes (only 5-6 items are removed after each pass).

Just wondering if this unique to my account, and whether I can provide any information to help you understand why this is happening? I use 1Password on windows, macOS, android & iOS.

• Hi @pbryanw,

Thanks for reporting this.

How long did you wait before you try again? If it is a lot of items, it may take a few sync calls to update all of the items.

I'm not able to reproduce this but please do send us your 1Password diagnostics report, use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT - I noticed that the items, while being detagged, would go into Offline Changes temporarily, so I waited for them to leave Offline Changes before trying again. I've generated the report and emailed it to you, so will look forward to your response there.

Thanks for your help with this :+1:

• Thanks, we got the report and will reply there as soon as possible.

ref: DMG-63747-833

• cellsheet
    cellsheet
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Hello! For some reason whenever I attempt to update I get the following message after just booting:

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
    DeleteFile failed; code 32.
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel the installation.

I've just booted my computer, so I've no idea why it's giving me this message as I haven't touched anything else other than 1password when trying to update. I've also disabled the 1password desktop extension from chrome, to no avail. I've updated through my laptop by uninstalling/reinstalling, though I never saw the option to purchase the standalone license leading me to think (I highly doubt this is the case though, as I'm probably overlooking something simple here) this can only be initiated through upgrading and not with a fresh install.

I'm currently using windows 10 Pro (Education edition on my laptop) 64 bit, with 1password extension (desktop app required).

EDIT: A further bit of research shows this could potentially be due to anti-virus, though I've temporarily disabled all of my anti-virus for this, though it yields the same results. I'm currently using Avast 18.4.2338 and MalwareBytes 3.5.1, as well as periodic scanning with windows defender.

• Hi @cellsheet,

What anti-malware solution are you using? 99% of the times, it is caused by the anti-malware solution scanning the 1Password files while 1Password updates.

• cellsheet
    cellsheet
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick reply! I've edited my above post with the details on that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@cellsheet: Indeed, both of those are known to interfere, especially with regard to deleting, quarantining, or denying access to files needed to run and update 1Password. Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking without those running and see if the issue goes away.

• cellsheet
    cellsheet
    Community Member

Ah, I actually just uninstalled/reinstalled it on my desktop as I found out I just had to logout in order to purchase, so now I've got the standalone license now at this point! Super happy with 1password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that did the trick. Thanks for the update — and for your support! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I have been a long-time 1Password standalone user w/ passwords synced between my Mac, PC and iOS devices. I've been using the beta on my PC and it'd been fantastic, love the changes. I just wanted to be sure that if I buy the new standalone license of $40 that I can use this same license on my PC, Mac and iOS devices and that I don't need to buy a new license for each platform right?

If so, how do I access the discounted price? I saw one popup on my PC this morning, but it looked like it was going to charge me the full price, now I can't seem to find that screen again.

• kevinq
    kevinq
    Community Member

Since this is already in RC, and the free beta period ends May 25, I'm concerned that I still cannot create a new standalone vault on a fresh install. I am ready to buy 5+ licenses at work, but we will need to create/use local vaults only.

When do you expect the ability to create a new standalone vault on a fresh install?

7.0.539.BETA – released 2018-04-17
    1Password now lets you create new standalone vaults via 1Password menu > New vault on this PC. Note: it is not yet possible do this on a fresh install, opening an existing standalone vault or signing in to 1Password.com account is required before you can use this menu option. {OPW-1475}

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi guys,

@kevinq

The RC build already have this if you apply a license first, it will be required to have a license or 1Password account to create a new standalone vault. Here's what it looks like with the license applied first, the Create a new vault on this PC option on the bottom there.

We have a bug where the options in the 1Password menu are still disabled even in the RC build. This is going to be fixed soon.

@OTGGamer,

If so, how do I access the discounted price? I saw one popup on my PC this morning, but it looked like it was going to charge me the full price, now I can't seem to find that screen again.

Go to the 1Password menu > License, you'll see the option to buy now. It is normal for it to show the full price, it's static right now but if you click on it, it'll open the store in your default browser and show you the beta price. We're trying to see if we can update the price properly in the app soon.

I just wanted to be sure that if I buy the new standalone license of $40 that I can use this same license on my PC, Mac and iOS devices and that I don't need to buy a new license for each platform right?

No, you'd need a separate license for each platform, there is no bundled license that works on all platforms and Apple's App Store doesn't have licenses. So, you can either buy the licenses separately or get a 1Password.com membership that includes access to all 1Password apps and future upgrades automatically at no extra cost. You can find out more here.

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks @MikeT
    I've been meaning to get my wife and in-laws on 1Password as well, so I think it may just be easier (and cheaper at least initially) to subscribe to the family plan instead of buying a whole pile of of licenses. Gonna try that now over the next couple of days to make a decision.

Is there any sort of discount promo code deal for beta testers who subscribe to the family plan?
    It's alright if there isn't, just figured it was worth asking before doing so.

• Hi @OTGGamer,

In case you might not be aware, it is 30 days free for all new 1Password accounts.

Please email us at sales@agilebits.com for that answer, I don't think there is a discount because 1Password 6 stable has been available for a while for 1Password accounts.

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member

Thanks again @MikeT Yeah I only meant a couple of days in case I still wanted to go with the discounted stand-alone license, I did see that you get a 30 day trial. Sorry for the confusion.

• You're welcome, let us know if there's anything we can do.

• AxelHenry
    AxelHenry
    Community Member

I have been using the Windows beta for a while and it works fine.
    Coming from long time use on Mac & iPhone synced through Dropbox I expected updating the master password on the Mac would also apply to the Win machine as it does to the iPhone, but no it does not. And I do not have an option to change the master password on the Win machine.
    Today I purchased a stand-alone license (which was always my intent) thinking that would unlock an option but if so I cannot find it.
    I change my master password monthly and if there is a technical reason the Win machine must be changed separately then so be it, but at the moment I have a licensed version with a password some months old.
    Am I missing something?
    By the way all the data syncs OK, and I do like the face recognition feature but I would also like to control my master password..thanks.

• Hi @AxelHenry,

Thanks for writing in.

There's no UI setting to change the master password yet, it's coming in a future update. Generally, our advice for 1Password master password is that you set a strong password and that's it, you almost never have to change it again. It's not stored anywhere because it is only used to decrypt an encrypted but unique strong encryption key that's stored on the disk.

I change my master password monthly and if there is a technical reason

Is there a specific reason you're changing your master password once a month? There's rarely any reason to change your master password as long as it is strong in the first place and you're not writing it down anywhere. Your master password isn't stored anywhere and your data is protected with strong encryption protocols, so it is not the same practice as changing your web site account, which is used for authentication and not usually stored in an encrypted fashion.

• snm77
    snm77
    Community Member

Wow. FINALLY. It just works again, at least on Windows! Going to update 1p for OSx next,keeping fingers crossed.... Maybe, after over 3 years, my vaults will FINALLY sync properly between iOS, OSx, and Windows. I hope..... Thanks for the ding, folks. Took a long time but looks like it may well have been worth the wait!

• Hi @snm77,

Thanks for writing in. I'm sorry that it did take us that long to make OPVault finally work for you on Windows and hopefully the rest of the platforms too.

This discussion has been closed.