firefox 1PX and down arrow

Hello,
1PX conflicts with firefox autocompletion using the down arrow key
Since, sometimes 1PX recognises incorrectly a user/password field, or sometimes I use a password not saved, I've seen that disabilng the icon inside forms changes this behaviour, but consider if it could be useful to keep icon in form (accessible using mouse pointer) and leaving the key to firefox

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1PX conflicts with firefox autocompletion using the down arrow key

@lcorsini: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm not sure we're going to design around browser autofill — it is always recommended to disable that for both security and usability reasons ("where is my stuff saved?"), but it's something we can look into. Can you clarify what the conflict is though?

Since, sometimes 1PX recognises incorrectly a user/password field, or sometimes I use a password not saved, I've seen that disabilng the icon inside forms changes this behaviour, but consider if it could be useful to keep icon in form (accessible using mouse pointer) and leaving the key to firefox

It sounds like the real issue may be that 1Password X is misidentifying the field. Is that the case? If so, that's definitely something we need to investigate. Can you tell me the URL?

We do want 1Password X to be accessible using the mouse cursor, as that allows people to use assistive devices — or just use the keyboard because they prefer it. But either way we want to improve whatever we can. :)

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member

Hi brenty,
    Let me explain better:
    Firefox caches the content of most form fields (and it's not related to the internal password manager) and this cache is accessible by pressing down arrow, the same (when internal password manager is disables) happens with username fied.
    For me, some password are better stored in my mind or I nedd to use a different user that is not stored in 1P, so mostly I autocomplete the username and insert the password by hand, and in this case 1px gets in the way trying to autocomplete the desired field

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Hi brenty, Let me explain better:
    Firefox caches the content of most form fields (and it's not related to the internal password manager) and this cache is accessible by pressing down arrow, the same (when internal password manager is disables) happens with username fied.

@lcorsini: Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. But again, there are known exploits of browser "autofill" in the wild that can result in this information being collected by websites, so we do recommend disabling it.

For me, some password are better stored in my mind or I nedd to use a different user that is not stored in 1P, so mostly I autocomplete the username and insert the password by hand, and in this case 1px gets in the way trying to autocomplete the desired field

You may prefer it for some reason, but it's definitely not "better" for either usability or security. 1Password exists because we have too many passwords to remember, or not enough to keep us safe and secure online. 1Password solves this saving and filling passwords for us so that it is feasible to have a unique, randomly-generated one for each. Storing weak passwords in our brains and trying them ourselves is the thing that people got 1Password to escape from, so it's just not something we're going to design around.

• Hey @lcorsini,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with Brent that you may have compatibility issues if you try to use the built-in auto fill at the same time as 1Password X. On the other hand, I’d like to add more control over keyboard shortcuts in a future release and the down arrow will be one of the ones on the list. :)

Mitch

• malumatos
    malumatos
    Community Member

Maybe just give us the option of disabling the arrow down. I never use the arrow down to load some 1PS stored info, every time I use the arrow down I just wanna see the options that are saved in my browser.
    I've already checked false on "Make 1Password the default password manager" and "Allow 1Password to show notifications" but it doesn't work the I way I thought would. Unfortunately when I'm working and I know I'll face this issue a lot (since I'm testing websites and often use lots of different logins which are temporary and I don't wanna keep on my 1PS) I have to disable 1PS plugin completely.

• Hey @malumatos. Disabling the "Make 1Password your default password manager" option allows you to continue using Firefox's built-in password manager, which may increase the occurrences where you're experiencing conflicts. Since it sounds like you prefer using Firefox's built-in dropdown menu for filling, you might find it useful to disable 1Password's inline menu and just using the popup to view and fill your items. You can disable 1Password's inline menu by opening the popup, clicking the gear icon in the top right corner, selecting Settings, then disabling "Offer to fill and save passwords".

• malumatos
    malumatos
    Community Member

Thank you, that's definitely a better option than disabling the plugin completely. But it would great if I could just disable the arrow down shortcut on the plugin and still have the option to click on the 1Password icon inside the inputs whenever I wish to use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again for the feedback. Perhaps we'll be able to offer more customizability in a future version. :)

• steshaw
    steshaw
    Community Member

What I find frustrating is that you are unable to select Firefox's suggestions with either the up/down keys when the 1Password add-on is enabled. It's not about auto-filling passwords from Firefox's password manager — I have that disabled. This is just auto-competing HTML's autocomplete fields.

e.g.

<input type="email" name="email" id="email" autocomplete="on">

Example on https://www.lifehack.org/

<input type="email" name="contact[email]" placeholder="Enter Your Best Email Address" required="" aria-required="true">

I only use 1Password for work, so I disable the add-on most of the time because of this issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steshaw: It sounds like it would be easier to just disable the inline filling menu:

You can still use the toolbar menu.

I think that was added at least in part to deal with this Firefox issue. I can't condone using autocomplete because of the privacy risks, but I can't stop you either. :lol:

• steshaw
    steshaw
    Community Member

:) What are the privacy risks? Do you have a link to something I can read about that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steshaw: Sure! Off the top of my head, this is probably one of the more famous examples:

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2017/12/27/no-boundaries-for-user-identities-web-trackers-exploit-browser-login-managers/

And this is a good demo/proof of concept that is easy to understand at a glance:

https://github.com/anttiviljami/browser-autofill-phishing

The browser vendors often make changes to help mitigate specific issues (as in the examples above)...but it comes up a few times a year because there is plenty of motivation for malicious entities to find new ways of doing it. So it's something that pretty universally recommended to disable -- not just because it can conflict with password managers. I hope this helps! :)

• steshaw
    steshaw
    Community Member

👍

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Cheers! :chuffed: :+1:

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @inspiredn – just curious who your question is directed at. I can't tell if you have a question about 1Password or if you're asking someone who has posted in this thread. If the latter, perhaps you can mention them so they get a notification for it. :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

No problem at all. I hope you enjoy your weekend! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of kaitlyn, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• swrobel
    swrobel
    Community Member

@Mitch said "On the other hand, I’d like to add more control over keyboard shortcuts in a future release and the down arrow will be one of the ones on the list."

Did you guys get anywhere with this? I still find it really annoying that 1Password shows up when I press the down key.

This discussion has been closed.