A bit confused: WLAN Sync - PC vs MAC

Options
hagu
hagu
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello guys,

So sorry for mentioning WLAN sync again. I know you are probably sick of hearing about it.
However, I am about to purchase the standalone license for v.7 for Windows and I have only a few days till the discount expires to decide what to do.

I seem to get different information regarding the feature from the blog of the MAC and the Windows version of the software.
For example I found comments such as this one:

**Roustem Karimov says:
March 28, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Hi Thomas,

Yes, you should be able to use WLAN sync in 1Password for Mac 7. I do not think we changed this code in the new version.**

And this one: (showing that WLAN Sync will be available even for 1Password.com users on Mac)

**Dave Teare says:
May 21, 2018 at 7:01 am:

Long story short, your subscription will allow you to use vaults synced with our 1Password service and manage standalone vaults yourself as well.

To answer your questions specifically:

Yes, you can download from Mac App Store and connect to your existing membership.

Yes, you will be able to use local vaults and sync them yourself (using Dropbox, iCloud, or WLAN Sync). Payment is handled by your membership.**

At the same time I am finding comments for the Windows version such as this one:

**Dave Teare says:
March 20, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Hi Paule,

No, WLAN Sync is not in this beta and it will not be included in the final 1Password 7 release. At least not the initial 7.0 release anyway as we just have too many other things that need to be completed in the relatively short timeline that we’ve set for ourselves.**

You also have a newsletter on the windows forum for people to subscribe to show that they want WLAN sync and help you decide if you will support the feature at all.

It is hard for me to understand. If the code is not changed on Mac from v6 and the feature is just there why is it so complicated to leave it for Windows users? Is the feature just staying as it is for the Mac version but it will depend on the interest if it will ever be developed again for the Windows version of 1P7? If so why having two different standards for the same version of the software for the two different platforms? If not why do we have the newsletter subscription?

And then there is this comment:

** Kate Sebald says:
March 27, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Hey Anders! Are you currently syncing via WLAN by chance? If so, the current plan is not to support WLAN sync in 1Password 7 for Windows, at least not right away.**

Since I have a few days to decide if I will purchase the new standalone version or not and I am using Windows it is very important for me to be a bit more illuminated when it comes to the WLAN sync feature for 1PW7 for Windows.

1Password Version: 1PW 7 - Windows 10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hagu: I'm sorry for the confusion. You seem to be confusing 1Password for Windows with 1Password for Mac. 1Password for Windows version 7 does not have a WLAN Server feature. This app is brand new, written from scratch. It also does not share code with 1Password for Mac. So even though this feature exists in older versions of 1Password for Windows and the current version of 1Password for Mac, it is not in the new Windows app; there simply is no code for it there. If it's something you absolutely need to have, you should not purchase 1Password 7, as it does not have that. If you signed up for the newsletter, we will contact you if and when there is news in this area, but there is none at this time. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.