Characters scrambled in 1Password for Windows and Chrome extension

I am trying out 1Password for Windows. I just imported my data from Lastpass. Everything is legible on my.1Password.com. However, in the windows app and the Chrome extension, the characters are not displaying correctly, as shown below.

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tjevans: Ouch! I'm glad you got in touch then. That's pretty unusable. Probably some text encoding issue. Can you tell me more about your setup?

1. What language/text encoding is the exported data?
    2. Where did you export the data (OS, browser, and app version)?
    3. What languages/locales are in use on your system?

We'll get to the bottom of this!

• tjevans
    tjevans
    Community Member
    1. English, encoded in unicode
    2. Windows 10 (Version 1803), Chrome 66, 1PW version 6.8.534.
    3. U.S./English are the only locales or languages in use.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tjevans: Thanks! Did you export data from the website then, in Chrome?

• tjevans
    tjevans
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

In Chrome, I went to my Lastpass vault for the export process. This resulted in Lastpass displaying a comma-separated list (no export buttons or anything on the page of data). I copied the text and pasted it into notepad to save it as a .csv. I then imported that data into my.1password.com via drag and drop into Chrome. (Hope that answers; not sure I'm using the correct terms).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@tjevans: It's definitely confusing, so no worries. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if you're using the website to export the data or the extension. The latter has proven to be problematic for many people (though not quite to this extent). You may have better luck following these instructions:

https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/

Let me know!

• tjevans
    tjevans
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brently. I used the website. I followed those instruction, in fact.

EDIT: Although I did not copy the data into the field. I saved it as a .csv first and then imported that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tjevans: Hmm. Very odd. I hate to ask even more questions, but I just haven't encountered anything like this before...and certainly we can't look at the data. Are you only using a PC, or do you have other devices you can use 1Password on too? I'm curious if this is affecting those, or just the Windows app, since you say everything seems fine in the website.

• tjevans
    tjevans
    Community Member

After I posted this, I downloaded the iOS app and have the same problem there.

On a perhaps related note, when I am in my.1password.com, the data is not searchable. No matter what search term is used, no results are returned.

• tjevans
    tjevans
    Community Member

@brenty I'm wondering if somehow copying the data into notepad first had something to do with it. I don't see how, but stranger things have happened. I would try to import again, simply copying the lastpass data and pasting it into the import field in 1PW, but I don't want to duplicate everything. Is there a way to delete data without deleting the account?

• @tjevans perhaps download was in Unicode instead of UTF8 and notepad saved it as ANSI? When you save text in notepad check that you have UTF8 encoding:

If you want to delete data - simply select all items in 1Password for Windows app, right click on selection and Move to Trash.

• tjevans
    tjevans
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty @SergeyTheAgile Deleting data and re-importing--this time by just copy and pasting and not going through notepad--seems to have worked. It even resolved the problem with the data not being searchable on my.1password.

Thanks for your help; consider this one resolved!

• Glad to hear it works now!

This discussion has been closed.