Reason why 1Password 7 requires mac OS 10.12

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

Hi, is there a technical reason why 1Password 7 for Mac requires at least 10.12, ie. do you need operation system features that only 10.12+ provides?
I'm currently running 10.11 and can't upgrade because of the old hardware and my Mac is running 1Password 6 just fine.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Manaburner, good question!

This is due to technical restrictions in macOS 10.11. In particular, parts of the app are written in Swift, and we needed a version of Xcode that would be able to compile and debug those snippets of code.

If you still need to upgrade your machine to the latest version of 1Password 6 (6.8.9), you can still download it here.

I hope that was informative :).
    Jad

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Yes informative. And sad because I don’t see me buy a new Mac in the near future because their lineup is currently pretty meh. ;)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner - well, you're a regular around here. We'll leave the light on for you. :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Thx @Lars There’s still The Windows Version for me so I’m not completely off the 7 train

• @Manaburner,

The Swift vs Xcode was the clincher here, but there were a number of other reasons such as the auto layout implementation on 10.11 (and even 10.12) not being quite up to snuff. 10.14 will I'm sure pull us forward again.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.