Splash Screen Over and Over [Fixed in the latest 1Password for Edge update at MS Store]

Options
Rei Vilo
Rei Vilo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When power cycling my PC, this splash screen pops-up over and over.

How to get rid of it?

I'm using 1Password 7.0.534.Beta on Windows 10 1803 17134.48.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Rei Vilo,

Thanks for writing in.

This is a new issue caused by Microsoft's changes to Edge in Windows 10 1803 update, the window is from 1Password extension for Edge.

Check for updates in the Microsoft Store, there should be one for 1Password, you should see 1Password 7.0.545 available to be installed.

Once it is installed, you shouldn't see this issue again, hopefully.

• Rei Vilo
    Rei Vilo
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thank you for your prompt answer. Indeed, Edge extension 7.0.545 was proposed for update, and there is no more splash screen now.

One question though:

• Why the 1Password extension for Edge is numbered 7.0.545,
    • When the main 1Password application remains at 7.0.543?
  • MikeT
    Options

Hi @Rei Vilo,

That's great to hear and you're welcome.

Why the 1Password extension for Edge is numbered 7.0.545, when the main 1Password application remains at 7.0.543?

They are two separate apps and they will have different versions in order to make sure we have the right information, we use unique version number for each different 1Password app. If you come in and say you're using 545, we'd know you're talking about 1Password for Edge and not 1Password for Windows program.

As for why they're two separate apps, all Microsoft Edge extensions are required to be submitted to Microsoft Store. So, we can't host it on our site and the regular 1Password desktop program can direct you to that like we do for Firefox and Chrome.

Some companies can choose to embed the Edge extension in the program and submit the whole program to the Microsoft store. This is something we'd like to do for 1Password as well but due to the nature of 1Password design involving with multiple integrations with browsers like Chrome, Firefox and such, we can't because the Microsoft Store have rules against this at the moment. They may loosen it up in the future and if they do, we'll submit 1Password to Microsoft Store and there'll only be one program you need.

Now, we don't need to update 1Password app for Edge often, the whole app is to just let the 1Password extension work for Edge and then connect to the regular 1Password desktop program. Thus the verison numbers will be out of sync quickly as we ship updates to the 1Password desktop program all the time.

• Rei Vilo
    Rei Vilo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the detailed explanations.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

• zfil
    zfil
    Community Member
    Options

Hello

I'm running Windows 10 1803 with 1Password 7.0.543 however I can't manage to install Edge extension 7.0.545 I'm stuck to version 4.6.12.90 (see screenshot).

However if I look at the windows store it says indeed that version 7.0.545 is installed ...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @zfil,

Thanks for writing in.

The internal version you're seeing (4.6.12.90) is correct, it's the embedded 1Password extension version and we're going to make a change to show the 1Password for Edge app version instead in the next update.

When are you seeing the splash screen? Is it at every Windows boot? If yes, do you have 1Password configured to start when you boot your computer?

What version is the installed 1Password for Windows desktop program on your computer?

• zfil
    zfil
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Actually I see the 1Password desktop application opening at every windows boot, and if I try to unlock it, it crashes …
    But if I restart 1Password everything is fine afterwards ...

I'm running 1Password 7.0.543 beta and the latest windows 10 update (1803).

Thanks

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @zfil,

The crash may be related. Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report to help us figure out what's going on there and get it fixed. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• zfil
    zfil
    Community Member
    Options

Done :) !

• MikeT
    Options

Got it, thanks! We'll reply there as soon as we finish analyzing your report.

ref: QEI-26945-614

• Rei Vilo
    Rei Vilo
    Community Member
    Options

The annoying splash screen started popping-up again today, but the Windows Store lists no available update for the Edge extension.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Rei Vilo,

Do you have Edge as the default browser? If yes, try to de-select it as the default and reboot, see if that stops the splash screen.

We’re investigating it but so far almost all users said that as long as Edge isn’t the default browser, the splash screen stops. We believe this may be a bug in Edge/Windows 10 1803 update.

This discussion has been closed.