restore to new phone

Options
jillwdc
jillwdc
Community Member

hi,
my old iphone died and is not accessible. i don’t know if i had a secret key but i don’t think so. how do i get my data (passwords) on the new phone?

of the choices under 'Already using 1Password?', i don’t know what to select (1Password,com, iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN Server. i’m pretty sure i didn't back up to icloud or a server, but it seems i need a secret key for 1Password.com Is a dropbox vault a 1Password backup or something separate?

i have 1Password v.7.06 on my ipad, which was not synced with my phone.

thanks,
jill

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 11.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:restore to new phone

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jillwdc: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately if the old iPhone is inaccessible and you do not have your 1Password data stored anywhere else, it's gone and you will need to start over. There's just no way around that.

To clarify, you will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. And similarly, if you never setup syncing with iCloud or Dropbox, you will not have your data there either. But if you do have something to work with, I'll be happy to help walk you through things.

Did you backup your 1Password data at some point?

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you copy it to other devices, or sync it somewhere?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Let me know and we'll go from there.

• jillwdc
    jillwdc
    Community Member
    Options

since there’s no way right now to recover my passwords from my old phone, i decided to set up a 1password account online and sync the vault from my ipad to add those passwords to my new phone.

so now i have a secret key. when i tried to add that new account to my ipad (which already had the app and a vault with passwords), i get an SSL error, saying that a secure connection to the server cannot be made.

can you advise?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jillwdc: What is the exact error? And how are you entering your account credentials? Certainly if 1Password cannot connect securely you'll get an error like that, but we need to consider other possibilities as well.

• jillwdc
    jillwdc
    Community Member
    Options

the exact error is:
    An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.

i'm not sure what you mean by “how are you entering your account credentials?”
    i types in my email, secret key, and master password. maybe i’ve entered the wrong address for sign-in address. what goes in that field?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@jillwdc: Aha! Perfect! Thank you! Indeed, I think you may be using the wrong sign in address. To be clear, while it sounds like you may have just now signed up for a 1Password.com membership, that won't have any data unless you have just added it. Do you have your Emergency Kit?

• jillwdc
    jillwdc
    Community Member
    Options

i think i have a membership. isn’t that how users get a secret key?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jillwdc: Correct, but it sounds like you just signed up for that. Do you have your Emergency Kit for the account? That will contain all of your account credentials — including the sign in address.

• jillwdc
    jillwdc
    Community Member
    Options

correct, i just signed up for it. where does it download the emergency kit to on an ipad? i clicked to download it in my ipad's browser and i thought a pdf would pop up that i could save to the ipad, but no pdf popped up. does it not download to ipads?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jillwdc: You should be able to view the PDF and save it. Sign into your account Profile page:

https://start.1password.com/profile

Scroll down and select "Save Your Emergency Kit" to view it. You should then be able to save it from the Share [ ↑ ] menu. Let me know if that helps!

• jillwdc
    jillwdc
    Community Member
    Options

nope. as i said above, when i select that, it shows me a download button, but clicking the download button does not show me a pdf. all it shows is a pop up that says “Keep it Safe; print it, save it, copy it, and Got It.”

• jillwdc
    jillwdc
    Community Member
    Options

never mind brenty. it seems to be a 1password bug on ipads. i logged in on a computer and the emergency kit downloaded as expected. but please advice your tech people of the issue.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jillwdc,

That's strange. I just tried it on my iPad and it worked as expected. Tapping on the download button opened the Emergency Kit in a new tab in Safari. When I closed the Emergency Kit I saw the "pop up" as you described. In any event -- I'm glad to hear you were able to get this resolved.

Ben

• jillwdc
    jillwdc
    Community Member
    Options

i was using chrome (v. 66.0.3359.122). maybe the bug is specific to chrome on an ipad?

• Ben
    Options

That's possible. Thanks for letting us know, @jillwdc.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jillwdc: Definitely give it a try in Safari. Chrome is nice, but it can be a bit weird on iOS.

This discussion has been closed.