Transferring linked documents between vaults

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I've raised this issue before and was told that, in interests of time to get the previous release out, the decision was made to forego this feature.

Now that Mac v7 has been announced for imminent release, is one of the new features the ability to keep links when transferring records between vaults?

This is important for me as I am the keeper of my wife's records and I transfer records between my vault, the shared vault, and the "travel" vault.

Given current capability, I have to transfer records and re-link the files up to 54 times. Example, Global entry card info. I have three records per card: Logon, card photo as a document, and global number. Multiply that by three per vault, that amounts to 27 re-links. Add my wife's data, and that bumps up to 54 re-links.

This effort is not acceptable but is currently unavoidable. Imbedded tags are an improvement but I would still have to leave the current record to select the proper tag/record.

Comment?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51: It's something we'd like as well, but links cannot be maintained between items which have different UUIDs when you copy them and which are encrypted separately in each vault. We would like to have a workaround to help automate this, but it's probably not something that's possible in the short term. Can you tell me why you're moving these around to different vaults so much (repeatedly?) It seems like it would be easier to just keep them in a shared vault for that purpose. I'm curious to understand what you're trying to accomplish.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

I keep all records in my vault. My wife also keeps her records in the shared vault (I copy them to that vault so she will have access). I also keep certain records in my travel vault when traveling.

• Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your use case. Unfortunately I don’t have a better solution to offer at the moment (and one isn’t coming in 1Password 7.0 for Mac), but hopefully we can address this in the future.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51: Thanks for following up! I have to say that I'm still unclear on why you're doing this, and I'd very much like to understand in case there's a solution you haven't considered, or something we can do to help with the use case in the future.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you both have access to the shared vault, it seems that you could simply store the items in question only there. They'd be accessible to both of you, but since they only existed in a single vault, you wouldn't have to go through this elaborate process to update information in multiple places when making a change. Again, based on your description, it sounds like that should work. But, if not, can you explain why?

For me personally, I've done something similar in the past but moved away from it because it became clear that it was far too easy for me to make a mistake and forget to update everything when making a change — or, frankly, I was too lazy to do so at times. So I'm curious to explore this further and see if there's a solution for you as well. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

I keep my wife's data in my personal vault to protect her from herself. She has 'fumble fingers' and has been known to delete records without knowing, and if she does't know, then I don't know and the data is lost.

The best solution (for us) would be for my personal vault to have an option where I can share records in Read only mode. This way I she has access without being able to do damage. If going to the record level is to difficult programming wise, then have then having the option to make the vault itself read only would suffice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I keep my wife's data in my personal vault to protect her from herself. She has 'fumble fingers' and has been known to delete records without knowing, and if she does't know, then I don't know and the data is lost.

@rlgleason51: I feel like we may have had this conversation before, so I apologize if I'm making you repeat yourself (or boring you by repeating myself), but have you looked at item history?

View and restore previous versions of items

1Password Families and individual 1Password.com memberships allow you to restore deleted items or even previous versions of items going back up to a full year.

The best solution (for us) would be for my personal vault to have an option where I can share records in Read only mode. This way I she has access without being able to do damage. If going to the record level is to difficult programming wise, then have then having the option to make the vault itself read only would suffice.

You can share a vault with her as read-only:

Create and share vaults

And, if you wish, you could even invite her as a guest instead, so that she'll only have access to a single vault you share with her (and potentially manage for her):

Share with guests in 1Password Families

Does any of that help? Let me know if you have questions about any of this. :)

This discussion has been closed.