All instances where I prefer 1Password v6 to v7 after updating.

Ivan_K
Ivan_K
Community Member

First of all I would like to thank the whole team for the great work on v7.

Probably my top 3 favourite enhancements are:

1) no need to occasionally sign in to iCloud in order for the 1 Password browser extension to work
2) new ability to see expiring credit cards in watchtower (would be great to be able to add "expiration field" to any item in future updates: will be just as useful for software licence, passports, memberships and other items in the vault)
3) markdown in notes

There are few things in the UI that I would like to mention which somewhat feel like a step back from v6 however:

1) Coloured icons for logins. Now I have always used 1 Password (v4 - v6) with "show rich icons" option disabled, which makes the interface look more clean and fastens my workflow. This change brings unnecessary color and the two letters that appear on each login definitely do not help me to find what I am looking for faster. Would definitely prefer to have an option to have the same "plain" icon for all the logins as it was in v6.

2) Password strength indicator "everywhere". Previously it was shown only for the top item, but now it is on each password field. It is a useful feature for sure, but this makes the UI a but more cluttered as well. When I create passwords for various accounts I am fine with what they are - to see a "reminder" of how "weak" or "not" they are is just an unnecessary attention grabber.

3) It would be nice to be able to lower the "Watchtower" list below "Categories" and "Tags" on the sidebar. I have noticed that due to reorganisation of the sidebar on MacBook Pro 13" display I am no longer able to see all my categories and tags open at once on the screen since there is not enough space. I pretty much always have these two "fields" open which allows me to find / open a particular item very quickly. On another side - I hardly use the watchtower at all.

4) The "minimise sidebar button" is a bit "too visible". The way I use 1 Password it just pops up all the time, when I however do not intend to do anything related to the sidebar size.

5) Preferred how 1 Password mini would open just below the button that triggered it. Both on internal screen and 27" one. This is however a very minor thing.

I will edit this post if I find something else. Hopefully this thread would make it easier to polish the interface of v7 further and make it a definite choice for all users.

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

First of all I would like to thank the whole team for the great work on v7. Probably my top 3 favourite enhancements are:
    1) no need to occasionally sign in to iCloud in order for the 1 Password browser extension to work
    2) new ability to see expiring credit cards in watchtower (would be great to be able to add "expiration field" to any item in future updates: will be just as useful for software licence, passports, memberships and other items in the vault)
    3) markdown in notes

@Ivan_K: Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password 7! #2 is an interesting idea. Can you tell me how you'd anticipate using expirations on other items? A few examples would be great!

There are few things in the UI that I would like to mention which somewhat feel like a step back from v6 however:
    1) Coloured icons for logins. Now I have always used 1 Password (v4 - v6) with "show rich icons" option disabled, which makes the interface look more clean and fastens my workflow. This change brings unnecessary color and the two letters that appear on each login definitely do not help me to find what I am looking for faster. Would definitely prefer to have an option to have the same "plain" icon for all the logins as it was in v6.

Hmm. I haven't hear anyone else say that throughout the beta, but that's an interesting perspective. We don't currently have plans to revert to "plain" icons, but it's something we'll keep in mind, especially if we get similar requests from many others.

2) Password strength indicator "everywhere". Previously it was shown only for the top item, but now it is on each password field. It is a useful feature for sure, but this makes the UI a but more cluttered as well. When I create passwords for various accounts I am fine with what they are - to see a "reminder" of how "weak" or "not" they are is just an unnecessary attention grabber.

Can you go into a bit more detail? It sounds like you're asking that 1Password not show strength indicators for all password fields, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

3) It would be nice to be able to lower the "Watchtower" list below "Categories" and "Tags" on the sidebar. I have noticed that due to reorganisation of the sidebar on MacBook Pro 13" display I am no longer able to see all my categories and tags open at once on the screen since there is not enough space. I pretty much always have these two "fields" open which allows me to find / open a particular item very quickly. On another side - I hardly use the watchtower at all.

Good point. Perhaps we can make it possible to reorder stuff in the sidebar in a future update.

4) The "minimise sidebar button" is a bit "too visible". The way I use 1 Password it just pops up all the time, when I however do not intend to do anything related to the sidebar size.

We've been thinking that to some extent too. I'm not sure what we'll do since it is good to have an indication that it's possible to collapse it, but perhaps we can find a better way.

5) Preferred how 1 Password mini would open just below the button that triggered it. Both on internal screen and 27" one. This is however a very minor thing.

We don't have plans to tether 1Password mini again, as it can now detect almost any app when you open it to try to show you relevant information, and there's just nothing to tether it to in most cases. The idea is that, like Spotlight, you can put it anywhere you want on screen and it will be there when you invoke it. But we're thinking of ways to make it more present when needed as well. Thank you for your feedback on this!

I will edit this post if I find something else. Hopefully this thread would make it easier to polish the interface of v7 further and make it a definite choice for all users.

You won't be able to edit after a while, but feel free to followup with additional comments. We're already working on the next update, and we're always open to suggestions. :)

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Can you tell me how you'd anticipate using expirations on other items? A few examples would be great!

1) Antivirus software that is activated on various computers for customers (or similar software which requires subscription). I keep track of what machines were activated in notes. Being able to include an "expiration field" would help me to prepare licence renewals and activations in advance with a handy reminder.

2) Domains expiration. Now there are always emails coming about that, but having a reminder within 1Password for a crucial domain renewal would make a situation when something was not paid on time hardly possible.

3) Passport / visa expiration date reminder. Could come handy to know that a colleagues pass / visa is soon to expire which might help for a business trip planning.

@brenty These things however could be easily managed in a To-Do app of choice, so it is only a question of making such "reminders" somewhat more convenient being in 1Password (like with credit cards).

Hmm. I haven't hear anyone else say that throughout the beta, but that's an interesting perspective. We don't currently have plans to revert to "plain" icons, but it's something we'll keep in mind, especially if we get similar requests from many others.

I though so. Quite strange however, since all other categories maintain "plain" type of icons.

Hopefully more users will mention this. I guess I just love using interfaces that allow me to customise experience in such way that nothing that I do not use is shown (like in Safari, Finder, etc.) All the focus on the content. This might be the reason why I actually prefer the sidebar in light color as well, rather then the "dark mode". When it is all in one color - there is no "switch" in vision. IMO - no need to make something "stand out" when it is absolutely clear where things are anyway.

Can you go into a bit more detail? It sounds like you're asking that 1Password not show strength indicators for all password fields, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Basically yes. It would be cool to have an option to be able to see the strength indicator only for the main password used with the username for login. Similar to option "Show item count in sidebar", which when unticked (the way I set it) - hides all the counters on the sidebar, but at the same time next to "All items" the counter is always visible.

This is really "nitpicking", something that could make the interface more streamlined in rare instances, such as administration of gsuite or similar service where to a main login many additional login / passwords fields can be added. The same applies to "Identities", where lots of custom passwords can be saved, some of which are what they are, sometimes simple and repeating, and... nothing is being changed for a reason since it is up for another person to choose what to use.

I would prefer password strength indicators work just as a nice file duplicate finder utility: it helps me to clean up and sort files when I do tiding up (read "checking/updating accounts in 1Password"), however - it is not running / not visible at all when I do not use it. I do "the clean ups" once a week at most, more like once a month really.

BTW, similar story is with the new "Unsecured Website" feature, which is great to have for sure. However, seeing the "pop up" about it all the time is somewhat questionable. Unfortunately some websites still do not support https. Nothing to do about it really. Will still be using the website with the custom password set in 1Password, fully aware that it is not secure.

Watchtower today has all the great features, helping to direct the user to places which needs attention. It would be nice to have a some kind of "watchtower mode" switch in preferences, which would turn on all the notifications / "pop ups" etc. - a "maintenance" mode for all the items stored in 1Password triggered at will to do the thorough clean up. And once this mode is off - there is no mention of "watchtower" features anywhere, only most clean and uncluttered UI and the content. That would be just awesome.

We've been thinking that to some extent too. I'm not sure what we'll do since it is good to have an indication that it's possible to collapse it, but perhaps we can find a better way.

Things 3 for Mac would be a great place for inspiration. Really recommend to take a look at it. I would love if 1Password 7 side bar would behave and look similarly. I loved that simple and at the same time customisable to a point interface so much that completely switched to Things 3 from Todoist for all my private tasks (still rely on it for group projects though).

We don't have plans to tether 1Password mini again, as it can now detect almost any app when you open it to try to show you relevant information, and there's just nothing to tether it to in most cases.

This is all good. New 1Password mini looks great - minimal, light (just like I like it). There is no watchtower "tab" at all and the sidebar is of the same color as the rest of the window. Something is telling me I will be sticking with the mini mostly for the time being. It is awesome and precisely its new ability to be untethered makes this possible.

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Can you tell me how you'd anticipate using expirations on other items? A few examples would be great!

1) Antivirus subscription or other software installed on multiple computers. In notes section I write when and on which PCs the licence was activated. To have a reminder of expiration would provide time to purchase new subscription and plan activations in advance.
    2) Passport / visa expiration fields reminder could be useful when it comes to planning business trips with colleagues.
    3) Car insurance / maintenance info.

@brenty This all however can be easily done in a preferred To-Do app. It is only a question of some “reminders” being more useful in 1Password, closer to the content itself (just like it is the case with expired credit cards). Not a “must have” feature in my book for sure.

Thats what I thought. It is quite strange however, since all other categories use “plain” icons.

Currently going through “All Items” in 1Password 7 reminds me of experience with one huge Excel table I happened to have, where pretty much all fields had it’s own color. It’s not as bad of course. It looks cluttered in 1Password, when it was literally painful to look at that Excel table on a 27” screen:-)

I only hope that more users will mention this as well.

I do. This a bit of “nitpicking” but really is about cleaner interface.

For example, while managing gsuite login for a company, there are many custom fields added for different users with corresponding passwords. It is just fine to always see password strength indicator next to the username at the top of the login, however indicators near all other passwords fields make the 1Password window have unnecessary "weight" to it.

This is also the case when custom fields are set for identities. Very often certain passwords are what they are, sometimes very simple and repeating, however there is no option to change those since they belong to another person. No need to always see a “red flag” about those.

Similar situation is with new notifications about “Unsecured Website”. Some websites unfortunately still do not use https, but although they are “unsafe” - they still have to be used.

Overall, Watchtower has become great and very powerful, helping users spot various places of potential concern in their digital life in just couple of clicks. However - it becomes more intrusive than it should.

Just as a nice duplicate finder app is a great help with a clean up of large collection of files (thumbs up for Gemini 2 and PhotoSweeper) - it is only used when the right time comes (which is once a month at best). When it is not used it is closed and completely out of sight. I love the mentioned apps, but would not support their integration into Finder for sure.

That is, It would be awesome to have an option of running 1Password in “watchtower mode” (triggered in preferences or other way). This could be that magical touch that helps users in making a thorough check of all the accounts and passwords when they see fit, meanwhile providing most clean and streamlined UI when it is all about working with the content. This “maintenance mode” in 1Password could be like a cleaning day at home - all the brushes are out of the closets to do the cleaning just for some hours of hard work and completely out of sight for the remaining week.

As of now however, the powerful “watchtower functionality” is spread out all around the UI, sometimes even repeating itself. Thus, all the “notifications” can be accessed through the sidebar, but they are also there (all the time) when simply browsing through various categories / items that these “notifications” are applicable too.

Good point. Perhaps we can make it possible to reorder stuff in the sidebar in a future update.

For the sidebar UI inspiration I can fully recommend to check Things 3 for Mac. I would love the sidebar in 1Password 7 to look and behave similar way. The guys nailed it. It is clean, simple, powerful. It is there when you need it and hidden when you don’t. In fact I loved Things 3 UI so much, that I have switched to it completely for managing all my private tasks (still use todoist for projects where collaboration with colleagues is needed). There is a reason why this app has raving reviews.

Speaking of UI - I definitely prefer light sidebar to dark one. Main reason is that there is no “switch in perception” going from “black on white” to “white on black” interface. There is also no real need to highlight something when it is absolutely clear as it already is. There are lots of apps which provide dark UI overall (lots of people like that) and some which only darken the sidebar. I am one of those who prefer the light theme for the whole app for the streamlined perception when content is in the middle of the focus. Brightness control works very well on Macs anyway and is a press of a button away.

We don't have plans to tether 1Password mini again, as it can now detect almost any app when you open it to try to show you relevant information, and there's just nothing to tether it to in most cases.

Sounds good to me. 1Password mini looks and behaves just right - light UI with no watchtower present. And thanks to the very reason that it is untethered as well I will be sticking to it mostly for the time being.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password 7!

You can be sure I will bring quite a few people to it from the Windows world once 1Password 7 is released for it.

Take your time guys. We love 1Password being polished, since functionality wise it pretty much already is an A+.

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member

I like the way new Tweetbot 4 for Mac handles this. When you make the sidebar small enough with the normal mousecursor, it will jump to only show the collapsed sidebar (see pictures).

Expanded sidebar:

Make the Expanded Sidebar small enough and it switches to the collapsed sidebar:

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

@Robs this is also a very nice option to keep things tidy. It is probably even a better way speaking of cross platform behaviour, where swipes are less common on Windows for example.

p.s. I see that two answers that I wrote to brenty are visible. Somehow when I wrote the first series of comments the post dissapeared completely during minor editing that I was doing, thus I wrote all the answers again later in the day... Ohh well:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Robs: Thank you! That's very helpful -- not only as an example, but also because I wasn't aware there were any Twitter clients left on the Mac. :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ivan_K: Indeed, you're going to have to forgive me if I miss something, but I'm getting a bit mixed up between the similar-but-not-quite-the-same comments you posted. :)

Thank you for the examples! While I am always a bit apprehensive about stuff like this that can start to steer 1Password away from its focus as a password manager into other tasks better suited to other apps (as you mentioned), I do want to bring this up with the team so we can discuss it, and this is very helpful.

Regarding the new Login initial icons, those are not for the category in the sidebar. Everything there gets a unique icon. While you're right that created items of other types by default still use only the generic icons, I do think that Logins are exceptional in two ways: 1) many get Rich Icons anyway, based on the URL, so most people's vaults are not as uniform as you might think; and 2) we have a lot more of them, and it does help a lot to differentiate them. I think this is the next logical step from Rich Icons actually, and a lot of people also add custom icons to the others anyway, since they help to differentiate -- and look cool. But maybe it makes sense to have the new icons function in conjunction with Rich Icons, and disable them both together.

We're definitely working on something that could help with "Unsecured Website" warnings that are not actionable. I'm not sure about "Watchtower mode" though. I can see how it's a cool idea, but almost no one is going to enter a separate mode intentionally to do 1Password housecleaning. I mean, you and I probably would, but the best way to get important security notices to people is not to wait for them to seek them out. That's a big part of the design of the new 1Password mini: helping people who use that almost exclusively get more out of 1Password by giving them access to information like this. You can always collapse it in the sidebar, or disable it until you do want to use it (though that's not recommended). But we'll continue to improve that and the main app window as well.

Thanks again for the kind words. We'll definitely take the time to continue to refine the new version thanks to feedback and a lot of hard work. :)

ref: apple-1424, apple-1425

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

But maybe it makes sense to have the new icons function in conjunction with Rich Icons, and disable them both together.

Indeed it is. This will be in line with how things presently are in 1Password on iOS.

I'm getting a bit mixed up between the similar-but-not-quite-the-same comments you posted.

The short story is that there are things that worked perfectly and it is a bit sad to see them go. I consider as a step back some of the UI changes in v7 (black sidebar on the left and already mentioned login icons).

Let me give you one example – macOS 10.14 Mojave. Apple brought an option to turn on the “dark mode”, as well as favicons in Safari. Both things are optional – they will just make more users happy. On the contrary, you can be sure there would be tons of unhappy users if the dark UI would be “the only way” and even if the favicons in Safari “become mandatory”.

It would be very nice if 1Password would follow the same trait – give more options, while not taking away from what works great. Since V4 when I switched to it – each version felt like an improvement both in functionality as well as design. It is only with v7 when very few UI changes feel like a pretty big step back to me. And don’t take me wrong - I have managed to get somewhat disappointed with v7 not because it is bad, but because how good v6 already is.

I can see how it's a cool idea, but almost no one is going to enter a separate mode intentionally to do 1Password housecleaning. I mean, you and I probably would, but the best way to get important security notices to people is not to wait for them to seek them out.

Completely agree.

On top of this, from my experience, the biggest challenge for most users who come to password managers is actually organizing items. I’ve seen how people with only around 30-50 items in the vault had a hard time of finding what’s needed due to bad structure (naming, use of categories, “marking” similar items the same way). On such occurrences I would end up helping with a structure, renaming items, which in turn made users much happier with the 1Password experience. People get pretty impressed, when I show how 800 items is a breeze to work with. The app is not a limitation – lack of proper “order” however can be.

The problem is very common in file management in general, when for example improper use of basic structure which Finder provides makes it hard for people to find what they are looking for. Things might work with tens of gigabytes of data but will quickly become a big problem when the count goes to hundreds of gigabytes.

IMO - users get more advanced when they start to explore and learn the functionality of the app; proper file organization - is a ground zero for everything computer involved. Those with weak organization skills rarely are advanced users and usually do not take much time to explore app functionality. Watchtower is there to help bring "order" in many of the fields (with focus on security), thus I believe that in fact it is more used by more advanced users who are "organisers" rather than novice users (who are more likely to skip what Watchtower offers altogether).

Well organized application settings and UI on another hand – help get more out of the app. It makes sense to expose only the most essential elements, while hiding the rest from view. Pretty much everyone has different taste in how things work, but there is no problem to satisfy all users. Apples approach to nailing the UI experience for its native apps is providing the right click and “customize toolbar” option. Some apps (like 1Password) provide the choice and flexibility with options in settings and view options. All approaches work well as long as options are there.

@Brenty, please, don’t take away the “right click” from 1Password. Don’t force functionality onto users, make it optional. It does not matter how app is acting by default, as long as the behaviour can be adjusted to the liking. Just as with a payment model – more options will make more users happy, forcing one particular way – not so much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It would be very nice if 1Password would follow the same trait – give more options, while not taking away from what works great. Since V4 when I switched to it – each version felt like an improvement both in functionality as well as design. It is only with v7 when very few UI changes feel like a pretty big step back to me. And don’t take me wrong - I have managed to get somewhat disappointed with v7 not because it is bad, but because how good v6 already is.

That's fair, and these are certainly things we're considering as we continue iterating on version 7. "Give more options" can lead to "get more issues" though, so we're generally going to shy away from doing that unless the benefits vastly outweigh the downsides for most people. It's on us to make you feel the way about 7 over time the way you've come to feel about 6. :)

On top of this, from my experience, the biggest challenge for most users who come to password managers is actually organizing items. I’ve seen how people with only around 30-50 items in the vault had a hard time of finding what’s needed due to bad structure (naming, use of categories, “marking” similar items the same way). On such occurrences I would end up helping with a structure, renaming items, which in turn made users much happier with the 1Password experience. People get pretty impressed, when I show how 800 items is a breeze to work with. The app is not a limitation – lack of proper “order” however can be.

Your comments here really hit home for me. I am only good at organizing stuff in 1Password now after a lot of trial and error. If I hadn't learned how to name/tag/annotate things by making mistakes and not being able to find stuff easily, I couldn't have scaled with my vault over time either; I'd be lost. To this day I still find stuff I was careless with early on, and it make edits so that they're easier for me to find in the future. Present Me really hates Past Me sometimes.

The problem is very common in file management in general, when for example improper use of basic structure which Finder provides makes it hard for people to find what they are looking for. Things might work with tens of gigabytes of data but will quickly become a big problem when the count goes to hundreds of gigabytes.

Agreed. But honestly I think it's a human problem. Everyone is different. What makes sense to me as far as organization will be inscrutable to others. Actually, Present Me finds Past Me pretty inscrutable -- sort of having to try to decipher things the way archaeologists do with neanderthal cave paintings.

IMO - users get more advanced when they start to explore and learn the functionality of the app; proper file organization - is a ground zero for everything computer involved. Those with weak organization skills rarely are advanced users and usually do not take much time to explore app functionality. Watchtower is there to help bring "order" in many of the fields (with focus on security), thus I believe that in fact it is more used by more advanced users who are "organisers" rather than novice users (who are more likely to skip what Watchtower offers altogether).

You may be right, but I've already seen a lot of new people interested just since the new Watchtower stuff was introduced. Maybe that won't work out long-term, if it's sort of the newness factor that attracts people. But we'll keep building on it over time to hopefully make it compelling for more and more people.

@Brenty, please, don’t take away the “right click” from 1Password. Don’t force functionality onto users, make it optional. It does not matter how app is acting by default, as long as the behaviour can be adjusted to the liking. Just as with a payment model – more options will make more users happy, forcing one particular way – not so much.

Okay, you lost me here. Why said anything about getting rid of right-click? I think Apple might actually send us some nasty emails or something if we did that. We definitely want to make important stuff usable and obvious without having to depend on menus, but menus are useful too. I find that a lot of novice users actually rely on them heavily, which seems counterintuitive until we realize that menus are a thing in pretty much any app, so it's just one thing they need to learn which can lead them to discover a lot of functionality they might not have otherwise. :)

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I would like to add something if its not already been mentioned. When you open 1p mini from the browser extension, password generator in 1p6 seemed very easy to quickly use, in 1p7 it seems to have been pushed back into the menus. I may be wrong but im sure it was a lot quicker to use before without having to navigate to it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telUK: My reaction was the same at first, actually, because it isn't in exactly the same place. It is easy to access still, but it does take a bit of an adjustment. It's just a click on the left, or you can use the keyboard to get there quickly. Does that help?

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

@brenty Reading this exchange prompted me to add a couple of use case items.

In my primary vault are WiFi SSIDs and Passwords, Router management credentials, ISP credentials and account numbers, iCloud credentials, Software licenses, Information for multiple vehicles [VIN and such, OnStar account, SiriusXM accounts (traffic only), Hot Spot credentials, minutes for voice calling, and Insurance polices} with renewal dates, AAA memberships, Driver's Licenses, and, a whole lot more. Add to that client credentials (geriatric mode). So the idea of including dates is already here. Just making 1PW sensitive to them is the issue.

Tags make chaos into ordered sets - like SSID, WiFi, OnStar, Car Name, OrgName or PersonName, AppName, iCloud, and, others. When working on the school network 1Password quickly serves me all the credentials needed to manage the ISP, the gateway, the routers, and, even system and database application access. Individual clients receive the same more efficient service as well. Today my Tags outnumber Categories better than two to one.

I agree completely about not cluttering up the item view with mostly useless password ratings past a primary login password. For most clients, I am happy that they record their credentials securely and, albeit infrequently, use me and 1Password as their memory for even macOS login credentials. I know their limits for using passwords, but with the assistance of 1Password, I can at least be certain that different passwords/passphrases for different access are used and, once in a while, changed.

Besides reinforcing @Ivan_K's input, I guess what I am trying to convey is that you as a software vendor can only guess at the breadth of applications for your software. 1Password is such an omnibus application that we really want KISS as a UI design approach. Little things like the disclosure (Hide/Show) controls let us simplify the view we use as appropriate for our use. So if, for example, you decided to move that control to Preferences {I know, it is absurd, but I needed an example.) it would be agonizing for users without providing any kind of real improvement. The existence of this dialog shows that agilebits tries to understand that.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xz4gb8: Excellent points. And the "absurd" example is actually a really good one. It can be tempting sometimes to move things to Preferences to declutter the UI, but that's just shifting from one usability problem to another. There are a lot of things to consider, and you're right that there's a lot we wouldn't necessarily be aware of without feedback from everyone here. Thank you. :)

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

"Give more options" can lead to "get more issues" though, so we're generally going to shy away from doing that unless the benefits vastly outweigh the downsides for most people.

@brenty Speaking of UI colour and looking at what macOS future brings us in the form of Mojave, I’d guess that most apps on macOS will eventually support two themes: dark and light. Some apps in fact already switched to this model. Other than the left panel of main window in 1Password, today the app has light UI. It would be nice to see that panel turn light as it was in v6 (or as it is now in mini view) and later in autumn dark theme join the parade by the time macOS Mojave is released (for those people who prefer the dark side of things).

Okay, you lost me here. Why said anything about getting rid of right-click?

I think I was just not clear enough. I am all for not removing the options. Right-click, menus or anything else – all works for me as long as customization option is there.

I would like to add something if its not already been mentioned. When you open 1p mini from the browser extension, password generator in 1p6 seemed very easy to quickly use, in 1p7 it seems to have been pushed back into the menus. I may be wrong but im sure it was a lot quicker to use before without having to navigate to it.

@telUK That’s how I felt about it at first. However, “Password Generator” in mini mode can always be found now under “Favourites”, so it’s not really hidden, but rather moved to its very own place.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Speaking of UI colour and looking at what macOS future brings us in the form of Mojave, I’d guess that most apps on macOS will eventually support two themes: dark and light. Some apps in fact already switched to this model.

@Ivan_K: I suspect we will as well. :)

Other than the left panel of main window in 1Password, today the app has light UI. It would be nice to see that panel turn light as it was in v6 (or as it is now in mini view) and later in autumn dark theme join the parade by the time macOS Mojave is released (for those people who prefer the dark side of things).

I'm not certain we'll do that specifically, but it's still early. I don't think Mohave is even available as a public beta yet. We didn't have any foreknowledge of this direction Apple is taken, or we very well might have done things a bit differently. It's certainly an opportunity for us to reevaluate and see what might be the best way forward, and perhaps we'll end up doing just what you suggest. Time will tell. ;)

I think I was just not clear enough. I am all for not removing the options. Right-click, menus or anything else – all works for me as long as customization option is there.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. :)

That’s how I felt about it at first. However, “Password Generator” in mini mode can always be found now under “Favourites”, so it’s not really hidden, but rather moved to its very own place.

Indeed, it's definitely a change from what we were used to in earlier versions, but the new 1Password mini is pretty much the old one (categories), shifted to the left to display more information on the right without us having to wait for flyout menus. For me, it's a welcome change, even if it took a few days to adjust. :)

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

I don't think Mohave is even available as a public beta yet.

@brenty Public beta was just released yesterday. Already installed it on a reserve MacBook Pro and submitted a bug report about Finder, which I hope will be fixed eventually (right click option “Right Size All Columns Individually” in columns view is not persistent for years now).

For me, it's a welcome change, even if it took a few days to adjust :)

Yes. Same here)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Public beta was just released yesterday.

@Ivan_K: Thank you! I swear, every time I take a day off something big happens. :dizzy:

Already installed it on a reserve MacBook Pro and submitted a bug report about Finder, which I hope will be fixed eventually (right click option “Right Size All Columns Individually” in columns view is not persistent for years now).

We can only hope! :lol:

Yes. Same here)

Glad to hear it! Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.