Master password doesn't work after upgrading to 7

Options
harczuk
harczuk
Community Member

Upgraded to version 7 from 6 and now my master password does not work, I can't get in!

Where is the old version 6, I AM DEAD IN THE WATER?

I tried the beta about a month or 2 with the online account, is this now wanting my online account password? I don't have it!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@harczuk: If the Master Password is different, it's because you'd used two different versions of 1Password at some point, setup different Master Passwords for them (it sounds like one was using a 1Password.com account), and selected the "wrong" one when setting up 1Password 7. Where is the 1Password data you want to use stored? 1Password.com? Dropbox? iCloud?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

iCloud and dropbox.

@harczuk: I think that may be part of the confusion, if you have different copies of data in different places.

What’s the fix, deleting a plist? how do I fix this?

If you're certain that everything you need is in either iCloud or Dropbox, and that you now the correct Master Password to decrypt the data, you can reset the app and then set it up again by syncing your data from one of those. Let me know how it goes!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

Yes I believe 1password 7 is trying to use my 1password.com account. I don't want anything to do with 1password.com. I want to sync with iCloud and dropbox. I am back to using 1password 6 like I stated above.

@harczuk: To clarify, 1Password.com accounts work with both 1Password 6 and 7, so if you've set one up it will still be there unless you remove it from Preferences > Accounts.

How do I reset 1password 7 so that It asks me where my vaults are? This should be an option like holding the command or option key when launching 1password and letting users use completely different vaults and master passwords.

We definitely don't want people to be able to wipe out their whole 1Password setup by holding option on launch. Please see my previous post for instructions on resetting the app.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Does it help if you go to 1Password 7 > Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password All 1Password Data, quit 1Password 7 using ⌃⌥⌘Q, drag the 1Password 7 app to the trash then reinstall 1Password 7 and follow the detailed steps in this AgileBits post?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stephen_C: Thank you! :chuffed:

@harczuk: Indeed, that should give you a fresh start, but we're here if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.