Aside from syncing, does Family require Internet?

Options
Teniralc
Teniralc
Community Member

I use the stand alone 1Password app now. I use it with or without internet but rely on internet for syncing. If I switch to Family, is it always through a browser? If we have a lapse of power or internet service or are traveling on an airplane or outside of wifi or phone service, can I still access my passwords like I do now with the stand alone app? Thank you

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OSx 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Teniralc,

1Password Families uses the same 1Password apps you’re familiar with from the standalone offering. The web UI is available, but most people only use it for administrative tasks (like inviting or removing family members). Just like when syncing standalone vaults your data is encryped and cached on each of your devices before it is synced with 1Password.com. Because of this you can access your data and even make changes while offline. Obviously it won’t sync up with the rest of your devices until you re-connect to the internet. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Teniralc
    Teniralc
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thank you. That answers my question. And then just to re-confirm what I think I understand, there is no need for Dropbox. So all my family members can use the Family app and I don't have to sync each of their apps with Dropbox (which has been problematic at times for me using 1Password). Thank you again

• Ben
    Options

Correct, 1Password Families replaces the need to sync 1Password vaults via Dropbox. :) You’re very welcome.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.