Troy Hunt announces partnership between Have I Been Pwnd and 1Password

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Lounge

Cool news: Troy Hunt announces partnership between Have I Been Pwnd and 1Password.

https://www.troyhunt.com/have-i-been-pwned-is-now-partnering-with-1password/

Comments

• Ben
    Options

We’re pretty excited about it too. :)

Ben

• 7thson
    7thson
    Community Member
    Options

Is this a feature that is exclusive to membership accounts? Or has it not integrated yet? I’m not seeing it and am wondering if it’s because I bought the apps pre-membership offerings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@7thson: We originally added a proof of concept to the 1Password.com web interface, but last week we introduced the beta of 1Password for Mac version 7 with preliminary support for HIBP as well. Cheers! :)

• 7thson
    7thson
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@brenty Ok that makes sense. I primarily use 1Password on iOS so I’ll look for it in a future update. Thanks.

• To be clear, the partnership doesn't technically have anything to do with 1Password features. It's about making Have I Been Pwnd provide clear recommendations to its users about steps they should take to protect themselves.

That being said, we really like HIBP and would love to bring the "Check Password" feature to all of our apps.

Rick

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I logged into my account and wanted to play with this, and I don’t see a “check my password” option.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@prime,

It isn't obvious but you will have to use the keyboard shortcut:

https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/02/22/finding-pwned-passwords-with-1password/

Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    Click Open Vault to view the items in a vault, then click an item to see its details.
    Enter the magic keyboard sequence Shift-Control-Option-C (or Shift+Ctrl+Alt+C on Windows) to unlock the proof of concept.
    Click the Check Password button that appears next to your password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@wkleem: Yep. Thank you! We definitely want to improve it more and then make it available to everyone by default though. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty so not everyone who has the subscription model has it?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@wkleem I did that and no option.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@prime,

It worked for me but I am on Teams Pro. I don’t know but assume it should work for other subscription models like Families and Individuals?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

so not everyone who has the subscription model has it?

@prime: It's there in the web interface for everyone with a membership, but as wkleem pointed out it needs to be enabled first.

I did that and no option.

Can you tell me which OS and browser versions you're using there? Maybe there's an edge case we need to account for. It should definitely work for all 1Password members and we need to fix it if it isn't.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

My MacBook is at home, but it’s running El Capitan (this is the latest my MacBook will run) with the updated safari (not sure what number I’m on). I did the Shift-Control-Option-C and it just shows the password with the option to enlarge, hide, and a 3rd on I can’t remwber off hand. But nothing to check the password.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm.

I tried it again, Chrome 66.0.3359.181 with 1Password X 1.7.3/Extension 4.7.1.4, Shift-Ctrl-Alt (reveal password). The "-C" is being ignored? Worked previously.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@prime, @wkleem: I'm really sorry, I think I'm being stupid here, getting different apps confused. If you select Watchtower in the sidebar on 1Password.com while you're viewing an individual vault, it will generate a report for you — no messing with key combinations necessary. From there you can check for vulnerable passwords on the right. Does that help? A lot has changed in a short amount of time, and I apologize for confusing things further! :(

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I get it now :)

You guys are kicking butt with these updates lately.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the kind words, prime. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.