"1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working" randomly pops up while in Chrome/Firefox [Fixed]

Options
komocode
komocode
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I just installed the beta, upgrading from 1Password 4. Ever since then, I've been getting this error message "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working" randomly pop up. When I click "Close the program" nothing really happens. My 1Password stays open.

Also: how do I install the Chrome extension to make it work with 1Password 7 beta? When I click 1Password Extension, nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password Extension for Chrome (Tried stable and beta versions), but nothing happens when I click it.

Lastly: I was not given the option to purchase 1Password 7 for Windows.

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: 4.7.1.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @komocode,

Thanks for reporting this.

"1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working" randomly pop up.

This may be the Native Messaging process between 1Password extension and the main 1Password program. In this case, I'm guessing it is related to Chrome, which is why you can't get 1Password to work in it.

Can you check for an update in Chrome? Certain Chrome updates can leave it unsigned and which can cause our process to crash as it checks for valid certificates. We have fixed this for the next beta update that is coming soon.

Click on three dots within Chrome, select Help > About Google Chrome and see if you're up to date at Chrome 65. After updating, check if 1Password works now.

If not, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.

I ended up uninstalling 1Password 4 for Windows, rebooted, and the error message went away. Chrome extension now works.

Only issue is I don't have the option to pre-purchase 1Password 7 for Windows.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @komocode,

That's great to hear!

Only issue is I don't have the option to pre-purchase 1Password 7 for Windows.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. 1Password 7 Beta 1 does not yet have support for licenses and preordering. You'll get a large prompt about this in a future beta update when we're ready.

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

I might have a bit more to add on this one... I just returned from a very remote part of New Zealand, where there is zero coverage - I was running 100% offline. Either the modem was off, or the modem redirected to its own pages saying that there's no connection. I feel that maybe some kind online check is to blame for these...

I was constantly receiving these messages:

and event log:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 18/04/2018 12:17:32
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Description:
    Faulting application name: 1Password.exe, version: 7.0.532.0, time stamp: 0x5ab3e7af
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.371, time stamp: 0xee297154
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x00103ef2
    Faulting process ID: 0x1ebc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d6aaa4b30afb
    Faulting application path: C:\Users*\AppData\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 09e6c508-cc3e-4dac-aa05-d8b5984afc9c
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

1Password.exe
    5ab3e7af
    KERNELBASE.dll
    ee297154
    e0434352
    00103ef2
    1ebc
    01d3d6aaa4b30afb
    C:\Users*
    \AppData\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    09e6c508-cc3e-4dac-aa05-d8b5984afc9c

Log Name: Application
    Source: .NET Runtime
    Date: 18/04/2018 12:17:32
    Event ID: 1026
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: ***
    Description:
    Application: 1Password.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
    at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.WinIOError(Int32)
    at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.EndWrite(System.IAsyncResult)
    at System.IO.Stream+<>c.b__53_1(System.IO.Stream, System.IAsyncResult)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory1+FromAsyncTrimPromise1[[System.Threading.Tasks.VoidTaskResult, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Complete(System.__Canon, System.Func3<System.__Canon,System.IAsyncResult,System.Threading.Tasks.VoidTaskResult>, System.IAsyncResult, Boolean) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult() at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost+<WriteAsync>d__16.MoveNext() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].GetResult()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost+d__10.MoveNext()

Exception Info: System.AggregateException
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32, System.Threading.CancellationToken)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost.Run(System.String[])
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(System.String[])

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

Application: 1Password.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
    at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.WinIOError(Int32)
    at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.EndWrite(System.IAsyncResult)
    at System.IO.Stream+<>c.<BeginEndWriteAsync>b__53_1(System.IO.Stream, System.IAsyncResult)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory1+FromAsyncTrimPromise1[[System.Threading.Tasks.VoidTaskResult, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Complete(System.__Canon, System.Func3&lt;System.__Canon,System.IAsyncResult,System.Threading.Tasks.VoidTaskResult&gt;, System.IAsyncResult, Boolean) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult() at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost+&lt;WriteAsync&gt;d__16.MoveNext() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].GetResult()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost+<ListenBrowserAsync>d__10.MoveNext()

Exception Info: System.AggregateException
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32, System.Threading.CancellationToken)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost.Run(System.String[])
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(System.String[])

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

These crashes were happening rather frequently (every minute?) and to stop them, I just killed the browser (chrome or firefox) and then killed 1password in task manager. That stopped the messages from popping up. Now I'm back online, and I do not have these problems.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Gregs,

Thanks for reporting these issues. We've fixed them already in latest 1Password 7 beta updates, you're still using 1Password 7.0.532 (beta 4) and we're at 7.0.540 (beta 6). Please update 1Password and it should not have this issue anymore.

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

Oh - that's great! Yes I already updated yesterday, but the report was just waiting to be filed ! Good stuff!

• MikeT
    Options

Great, hopefully, we won't see this again.

• lajcik
    lajcik
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'm getting the same error. Just installed the beta (7.0.532) and every time I try to start it it pops up the "1password has stopped working" window.

Tried uninstalling 1password 4 and rebooting - no game.

That means I can't even generate the diagnostic report. I'm running on windows 7 if that helps.

Do you guys have the latest update available anywhere for manual download? Maybe that would do the trick :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lajcik,

You can always find the latest stable and beat updates on our updates site here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com

• lajcik
    lajcik
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Unfortunately simply installing the newest version didn't solve the issue.

After some digging around and locating 1password logs I've found that the problem was caused by not having .NET 4.6 installed on my system.

Here's the relevant bit from the logs:
    exception is not handled, terminating
    System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: 'The invocation of the constructor on type 'AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData' that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception.' Line number '20' and line position '8'. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork' threw an exception. ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String System.String.Format(System.IFormatProvider, System.String, System.Object)'.
    at System.Net.Http.Headers.MediaTypeHeaderValue.CheckMediaTypeFormat(String mediaType, String parameterName)
    at System.Net.Http.Headers.MediaTypeHeaderValue..ctor(String mediaType)
    at System.Net.Http.Headers.MediaTypeWithQualityHeaderValue..ctor(String mediaType)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork..cctor()

Everything is fine after installing .NET 4.6 :)

(if you need the whole log file just give me a shout)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lajcik,

That's strange, the installer would've tell you if .NET 4.6 or later wasn't installed.

Can you tell me what Windows OS you're using and if you recall why it may not be installed?

• lajcik
    lajcik
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on windows 7 Pro 64bit with SP1.

I honestly cannot tell why .NET 4.6 was not installed - I was surprised myself since a lot of games/apps tend to check/install .NET in the version they need.

• MikeT
    Options

That is very strange. Thanks for letting us know, we'll keep an eye on this.

• MikeT
    Options

I'm closing this thread because the issue is resolved but some folks might update here with an unrelated issue that has the same message,1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working.

That message is generic and doesn't pinpoint to any known issues. Please create a separate thread for that with the crash report or email us your 1Password diagnostics report. Use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com.

This discussion has been closed.