How to convert a trial to a stand alone license for 1Password 7 mac?

I down loaded 1Password 7 for mac from the website, but it would not give me the option to buy a license. I only had the option to start a trial. I want to take advantage of the special pricing for the Stand alone license, but it looks like I only have membership options to purchase. How do i get the option for a stand alone license with the ability to sync via dropbox?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0 (70000019)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to convert a trial to a stand alone license for 1Password 7 for mac

Comments

• I would like to know this as well. If I need 1Password on iOS then I cannot buy standalone licenses? I wouldn't mind being limited to read-only on iOS.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi folks. You won’t be able to purchase a license while signed into a membership. This is intentional, and is designed to prevent folks from accidentally purchasing things they don’t need (as a membership covers access to all of our 1Password apps). If you are signed into a membership, but want to purchase a license, you’ll need to sign out of that membership first. Instructions on migrating from a membership to a standalone vault can be found here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

On iOS the basic features a free, and Pro features are available as an in-app purchase (once signed out of any membership accounts).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• davewells@mac.com[email protected] Junior Member

Not really, and neither on the APP Store, nor your website does the PRICE for a license ever seem to appear. Is this a case that you only know the price after you have made a choice, without that information?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited June 2018

Pricing for licenses is mentioned here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever - AgileBits Blog

We’re no longer advertising licenses, which is why you won’t see information about them plastered all over 1Password.com, but they are still available for folks that know that is what they want.

The App Store no longer sells 1Password licenses.

Ben

• davewells@mac.com[email protected] Junior Member

And the price is....? And it can be purchased where....?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

From the above mentioned post...:

https://1password.com/downloads

:)

Ben

• This is some terrible transparency guys. I'm glad I won't be having to jump ship to a competitor, but I had to dig like crazy to find out if I even could keep a standalone program. (Which is a deal breaker for me -- Happy to pay for the upgrade, but do not want a membership.) You really need to explain this better.

• Dave's emphatic email announcement this morning ("I can't wait to share") won't cover up the fact that it's all set to shift everyone to the membership model. For the first time, as a faithful customer, I have questioned my commitment to Agilebits...

• Oh my god. This really is as bad as everyone has said. You try to purchase a new standalone account under the cheaper price. It hides it as best it can, putting memberships up front. I say, 'No thanks, purchase a license'. It takes me to another page, which demands I (wait for it!) subscribe!

Is this intentional, AgileBits? Are you really this shamelessly obstructing the purchase of single licenses? Because this is coming across as absolutely shameful.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@JackSlack, @jbligh: Folks, it's not "hidden". You can find pricing in the announcements detailing what's new in the thing you'd potentially be buying, which Ben already linked to above in this very discussion:

Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many PCs as you have. 1Password 7 for Mac is a separate purchase.

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Dave's emphatic email announcement this morning ("I can't wait to share") won't cover up the fact that it's all set to shift everyone to the membership model. For the first time, as a faithful customer, I have questioned my commitment to Agilebits...

@Ymo: As someone who's watched us spend the better part of the last year getting the new Windows app ready for licenses and local vaults in response for customers asking us to, I find this ironic. We're also working on local vault stuff on Android currently getting ready for version 7. The tales of us making everyone move to memberships (which would have made more sense two years ago, before putting in all this work) are greatly exaggerated. :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@jbligh,

We’ve mentioned in a huge number of threads that 1Password 7 licenses can be purchased in the app. We’re intentionally not endorsing that link because it isn’t a supported way to purchase a license. The only supported way is from within the app.

Really. I've always liked your software and have always recommended you to friends & family

Thanks for saying so.

and frankly find this behavior a little surprising and insulting.

I’m sorry that we’ve made you feel that way.

Ben

• As a owner of 1Password for a dozen years, I, too, am a little irritated by all this. You say it's ironic that I want to remain a "stand-alone" buyer and not a subscriber because so many other people want a subscribe option. I don't see any irony, What's ironic is that you keep pounding in the point that 1Password is still available as a stand-alone purchase, when that option has been completely wiped from your website; the only way I could figure this out is by searching your discussion page. That's kind of slimy.

Furthermore, I sent in a support ticket while trying to figure this all out, and after a week, the response I got was that I could buy a subscription. The response completely evaded my question.

I feel like a sheep being pushed off a cliff. I don't want to feel like I need to trick the installer into allowing me to just buy the application, without getting enrolled into a monthly bill. Clearly I'm not the only one who's disgusted by all this. Please don't make assumptions about all your committed power-users and toss us all into the same group as the novices.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

As a owner of 1Password for a dozen years, I, too, am a little irritated by all this. You say it's ironic that I want to remain a "stand-alone" buyer and not a subscriber because so many other people want a subscribe option. I don't see any irony,

@incolor: Begging your pardon, but I think you misunderstood my comments. I probably didn't communicate this well, but the irony I see is comments that we don't care about standalone users in light of how much work we've put into building support for local vaults and licenses into the new Windows app, and continuing to support them across all platforms. It would have been much easier for us to not do that, both from a development standpoint and also with regard to support.

What's ironic is that you keep pounding in the point that 1Password is still available as a stand-alone purchase, when that option has been completely wiped from your website; the only way I could figure this out is by searching your discussion page. That's kind of slimy.

Slimy how? You may not personally be interested in a 1Password.com membership, but there are many more people who are, and both we and our customers had enough of the added confusion of presenting both side by side. This is not a new change, and in fact for over a year after introducing 1Password.com memberships we had things setup that way. I appreciate your position, as someone who perhaps doesn't care that we offer a subscription option at all, but 1Password.com memberships offer what most people want and expect these days: a ways to use 1Password seamlessly across all their devices — no separate purchases for different platforms, upgrade fees, or sync settings to fiddle with. I'm sorry for the confusion the new site has caused you, but when we were inundated with emails from people purchasing licenses who were confused, frustrated, and angry when they couldn't use 1Password everywhere, it became clear that this was the only way forward.

Furthermore, I sent in a support ticket while trying to figure this all out, and after a week, the response I got was that I could buy a subscription. The response completely evaded my question.

No. You asked about the Master Password, not licenses. And David didn't mention subscriptions or 1Password.com memberships at all in his reply to you. If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. But he answered the question you posed at that time.

I feel like a sheep being pushed off a cliff. I don't want to feel like I need to trick the installer into allowing me to just buy the application, without getting enrolled into a monthly bill.

No tricks are necessary. If you setup 1Password 7 with only local vaults, you'll be prompted to purchase a license for it. But if you have any trouble at all getting the app setup, just let us know the specifics so we can help.

Clearly I'm not the only one who's disgusted by all this. Please don't make assumptions about all your committed power-users and toss us all into the same group as the novices.

Most people are not "power users", and that's okay. This doesn't need to be an "us versus them" thing. We're here to help you too, even if you don't consider yourself to be a "novice".

• incolorincolor
    edited June 2018

You can dissect each thing that I said and come up with an answer (or not) from your company's POV, or you can listen to what I'm reporting from my POV. As the customer, it's not my job to care about what your problems are. As the seller, it is your job, however, to listen to what I'm saying and try to prevent me from experiencing grief.

With all your responses, you still didn't address the problem from my shoes. There are several mentions about being able to use 1P without a subscription, but there are no instructions about how to do so. And every path I start down ends me at a nudge to subscribe. Yes, if I keep going down that path, eventually I end up at a place where I can buy without subscribing. That's what I'm calling slimy. More appropriately, it's confusing and frustrating. I kept feeling like I was doing something wrong and I was lost.

Again, you can come up with an excuse, or you can completely disregard me as a complainer, but I'm a computer user of 40 years, and I've never bought a software upgrade like this before. As a long time user of 1P, I'm dissatisfied with the upgrade process. A smart company listens to their customers when they point out problems.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@incolor: I'm sorry you feel that way. We do listen, but can only do so to what you tell us. What is the specific point where you're stuck getting setup with a license/standalone? I'll be happy to help with that if you'll let me know. :)

• There's nowhere in your store where you can simply buy a standalone license. There's also no clear place to find documentation which explains how to buy a standalone license or even that buying a standalone license is possible. What do you do if you own a standalone license and want to upgrade? It's not possible from the Mac App Store or your website. This is your designated page for upgrading: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/

You don't see a problem here?

• I have to say, I'm totally with incolor on this. Sorry brenty, but you keep beating about the bush. There is a simple question to be answered, and you just don't come up with an answer. I will repeat the question for you people at agilebits:

How can you buy a standalone version of 1Password?<<

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@incolor

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this.

There's nowhere in your store where you can simply buy a standalone license.

We no longer have a store. 1Password licenses are sold by FastSpring within the 1Password apps.

You don't see a problem here?

I don’t, no. The page you linked says:

If you purchased a license before then, you’ll see two options in the app when you upgrade:

• Try a 1Password membership free for 30 days, which includes 1Password 7.
    • Purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac.

(Emphasis added)

It also says:

Upgrade to 1Password 7

To get started, download 1Password 7 and install it.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@ralphthelizard

How can you buy a standalone version of 1Password?

Download 1Password 7 and select the “need a license? We have those too” option.

Ben

• In retrospect, it seems clear after I've done the upgrade, or had I'd already understood how the process would play out. But otherwise it's not clear. You could say something like, if you want to upgrade a standalone license without subscribing, then you will be given that option after installing, during the registration process. In any case, like I said, it seems clear if you already understand the process. It wasn't clear to me, and I read that page at least three times before I decided to just jump in and take my chances. Call me an idiot if you wish, but I'm also a developer of many years.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks @incolor. I certainly don’t think you’re an idiot. To be fair we intentionally aren’t “in your face” with the standalone licensing option, but we do want it to be a painless process for those who do decide to go that route. We strongly feel that membership offers the best experience and value for the majority of customers, but obviously there are a portion of customers who feel licensing is the right choice for them.

Ben

• Well that's annoying. You can type in a comment, but then it asks you for your "Comment As....." and you lose your comment. A bit dumb for a software company to not ask you to register first. Huh?

Well I totally agree with "incolor" and "ralphthelizard".
    You have gone to the subscription pathway to eke more money out of your customers. Lifetime purchase is not really a lifetime purchase is it?
    Your earlier customers helped you survive, helped to bring you to this point, Now you have an obscure upgrade pathway that costs significant money. Oh but there is a discount if you buy within a certain timeframe!! My advice to you is to fix your business principles and make the upgrade process transparent to all and sundry. Secondly look after your foundation customers. Stop trying to screw them for more money!!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Well that's annoying. You can type in a comment, but then it asks you for your "Comment As....." and you lose your comment. A bit dumb for a software company to not ask you to register first. Huh?

@oraserat: I'm sorry for the confusion. We make 1Password, not forum software. But from what I can tell, they do suggest creating an account:

Well I totally agree with "incolor" and "ralphthelizard". You have gone to the subscription pathway to eke more money out of your customers.

I don't know about all that. We're working harder than ever. Running a service like 1Password.com and continually developing that and half a dozen different apps costs money. But sure, we make money off of 1Password memberships and licenses. I can't imagine you don't get paid for your work. We do too. :)

Lifetime purchase is not really a lifetime purchase is it?

We've never sold anything that said "lifetime". 1Password licenses don't expire, but they're for a specific version of the app. That's been the case since the beginning.

Your earlier customers helped you survive, helped to bring you to this point, Now you have an obscure upgrade pathway that costs significant money. Oh but there is a discount if you buy within a certain timeframe!! My advice to you is to fix your business principles and make the upgrade process transparent to all and sundry. Secondly look after your foundation customers. Stop trying to screw them for more money!!

We don't run the sort of business you seem to be thinking of. ;) We're a software company. We make products and charge for them. It's also pretty straightforward: we charge sustainable prices for our products so that we can develop, test, and support them. That's all we do, and it hasn't changed. If you value the work that we do, you have two options: 1) pay for a 1Password membership so you get everything, or 2) buy licenses "a la carte" for only the versions you want. And doing either is very transparent:

• If your preference is 1), click here and subscribe to a 1Password membership plan that fits your needs after using the free trial.
    • If your preference is 2), click the link for the version you want — Mac or Windows — and download it. You can then purchase the license from within the app to remove the "read only" restriction.

But if you need help with either, just ask. We're happy to assist. :)

• I came here with the same question -- eight months later. I couldn't find a way to even the cost of a standalone license. You have all the same links there now despite your customers telling you they're not getting the information they need from them. If your interface is causing confusion don't you think you should look into changing it rather than telling customers they're wrong and that it's OK? What you think of it doesn't matter if it doesn't work for customers.

OK, so I could download the installation file and then maybe find out what the price is. Who wants to do that? Your pricing page for subscriptions is pretty clear. Can't you put the price someplace instead of requiring people to download and install software to "unlock" the secret price? Would you take a product home from a store before finding out what it costs?

FYI, I had to come to this eight month old forum thread to find the price of a standalone license. Everything about membership is easy and transparent. I just spent a lot of time trying to find the standalone price including many searches of your support pages. I finally found this thread through a Google search (off your site).

Like incolor I'm a long-time computer user, coder, builder but longer in my case having started with mainframes 50 years ago. I shouldn't have to say this but I guess I'm not the only one who does.

This is all a really easy fix compared with trying to explain to customers that they're wrong. Astonishingly bad practice.

BTW, I'm getting a subscription. I thought I probably would but I just wanted to do was see all the options before deciding. That should be easy.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@msimmons: I'm sorry that you've had some trouble, but the last post in this discussion was in July and we have had people purchasing since then, so I have to disagree that it's as difficult as you make it out to be. As mentioned above, licenses are available from within the apps themselves, so that someone using it as "standalone" without a license can easily purchase. And if you follow the links I posted back in June, pricing is included in the announcements. We do focus on memberships though since that's the best option for the vast majority of people -- including, apparently, yourself. We've tried the alternative and it caused much more trouble, as there certainly was not a lack of additional comments for months regarding confusion where people were purchasing a license and expecting it to work on all their devices. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file