How to upgrade from 1P6 to 1P7

Options
giusep71
giusep71
Community Member

Hi there.
I'm on 1Password 6 (6.8.9), standalone license. I don't see any option for the upgrade to 1P7.
Can you please advise?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• yolanda
    yolanda
    Community Member
    Options

Me too. And i don't want this online membership because your Servers are insecure against NSA sniffing placed in the states. For People like me in Europe this is undiscussable. If you don't provide standalone licence i quit with 1password 6.

• Donaldd
    Donaldd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @giusep71 . I think you need to buy a new license for 1P7 if you're using a standalone version of 1P6.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase.>

There're more information on Dave's blog post:
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @Donaldd and thanks for your answer.

@DaveTeare

I've to say I'm disappointed, and I mean in Agilebits decision to have all us standalone users to pay for the upgrade to 1P7. If on one hand I understand your model to move as many users as possible to the monthly plan, I'm one of those (and I'm sure we are many) who wants to stay a standalone user. I've been using 1P for years. No doubt your app is great. But I refuse to pay (as you write only) $49.99 during the launch period for the upgrade to 1P7. Aren't you already offering 1P7 to monthly paying users? Their monthly fee didn't change, right? So why would you have us standalone users to pay to go from 1P6 to 1P7?

Regards

• srmiller
    srmiller
    Community Member
    Options

If I choose not to upgrade to 1P7 can I continue to use 1P6? Mine completely disappeared. How do I retrieve my data if I decide to go to another password vault?

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

@giusep71
    You can't have it both ways! The whole point of the monthly subscripton model is that you don't pay separately for upgrades. If you don't subscribe you pay for the upgrades. That's how it is in all subscription model software.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@giusep71 Hi there. I don't understand your your comment that, as the subscriber's monthly rate hasn't changed, there shouldn't be an upgrade price for 1P7. I am not trying to start an argument, I simply don't understand your point.

Subscribers are paying $36 every year to stay current (12 months x $3). Over 2 years that's $72 and over 3 years it's $108 . If you add up all their subscriptions over time it will be more than the 1-off upgrade price.

If you bought 1Password for Mac in 2013, this will be your first paid update in 5 years! That isn't so bad is it?
    (1Password v5 and v6 were both free updates for v4 users, and v4 was free for those that bought v3 in 2013).

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@yolanda I think the answer to your concerns about NSA etc is to create an account at 1password.eu rather than 1password.com. Of course, you may have other reasons for staying with the licence.

@srmiller you can definitely continue to use 1PW6. It will become obsolete in time, but that time will be a couple of years off, at a guess. When I installed 1PW7 it provided a zipped version of 1PW6 in my Applications folder, but some of the advice from AgileBits suggests this zipped version may be inside the 1PW7 package.

While I do agree that the upgrade price for a licence is a little high compared with the standard price, remember that AgileBits did not charge for the upgrades from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6. In a sense, they are victims of their own previous generosity.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@danco @yolanda ...not sure 1password.eu makes any difference. I have a 1password.com account and just happily logged into 1password.eu with all my info there. I think both domains point to the same place.

Having said that, I live in the EU and am not remotely bothered about the NSA due to 1Password's encryption policy (cannot say that about many other Services though).

[edited for a typo]

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @JamesHenderson,

They don't point to the same server and the encrypted data is hosted in very separate places. What can happen is you visit 1password.eu and if you select an existing account known to the browser it will redirect you to the correct server.

@yolanda: as others have covered, 1Password 7 still supports licences and standalone vaults for those that wish. I would like to point out though that our servers never see anything but data encrypted locally from your 1Password client and we purposely went to some lengths to ensure this. I would ask that you read our white paper as to how security and encryption works with our 1Password accounts.

@srmiller, please let us know if Danco's reply didn't help. 1Password 7 didn't remove the 1Password 6 support data i.e. your vaults and you should still find the 1Password 6 application bundle as Danco has detailed.

@giusep71: As others have explained quite well, the subscription costs cover not just the hosting of the encrypted data but continued access to the current versions of 1Password on all supported platforms, that's part of what the subscription offers. With the more traditional licence model it is not realistic to expect a single, one-off purchase will be able to financially cover all future support and development expenses. Every so often a new version will have to be a paid update to keep the lights on and the developers in stock of coffee. We've always stated that a new major version may be a paid update, it's just we haven't bothered since 1Password 4 was released.I don't think it's unfair to say that 1Password 7 licence sales will be closely monitored to see if there is still a genuine demand for licences and standalone accounts and for that very reason I didn't hesitate to purchase. I want us to keep the licence option for those that moved to 1Password for that very reason.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks for that!! :chuffed:

How can I move my data across from .com to .eu?

[edited: Typo and rephrased to a question]

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @JamesHenderson,

I believe you would need to create a new 1Password account and manually copy over everything from inside a copy of 1Password that has both accounts connected. You could then delete the account you no longer want. That said, it's probably worth writing to us first to make sure that if you're going to make the move we make it as painless as we can. support@agilebits.com is probably the best bet and then we can help.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks. Its not critical for me (as I wrote above - I am happy with the encryption as it is) but I leave in the EU so maybe get a speed advantage??

I'll ping an email across on the next few days - thanks!

• yolanda
    yolanda
    Community Member
    Options

@danco @littlebobbytables thanks for replying. I know you believe in encryption - we all do - BUT we all don't know what comes. It could be possible that current ciphers could be broken in the future and the NSA is storing sniffed data for years. For me the concept of using a password manager and storing the vault in the cloud is like facepalm. But everyone has its own concept of security ;-)

For the record: Many thanks to the stuff at agilebits for providing a standalone licence for 1password 7! I bought it and it works flawlessly. Even if i find the price to high for this "upgrade" I support the developers and hope my money will help 1password to be continued.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yolanda,

I'm also happy we have continued to support licences in 1Password 7. I'm even happier that 1Password 7 for Windows will finally allow 1Password 4 for Windows users to update. 1Password 6 for Windows had to concentrate on building a client that could support our 1Password accounts as otherwise we would have had no support on the Windows side at all. 1Password 7 now closes the loop so both operating systems have a current 1Password that supports both scenarios.

This discussion has been closed.