Sharing Items to Other Accounts?

Michael Tennes
Michael Tennes
Community Member

Is there a way to send an item to another person's account? I have my own family account and have set up separate accounts for parents and two brothers all with there own families. I don't want or need access to there accounts, but being the family tech guy, there are many instances where I need to create a web account, set up strong security and other option, then send that item to my nephew, niece, dad etc... I remember at one time 1P would encrypt & send via email or txt msg and it was just that simple. Is there any such functionality. It's just plain cumbersome to have me using up one of their users just for the purpose of being able to disseminate items to my extended family.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Subscription

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is there a way to send an item to another person's account? I have my own family account and have set up separate accounts for parents and two brothers all with there own families. I don't want or need access to there accounts, but being the family tech guy, there are many instances where I need to create a web account, set up strong security and other option, then send that item to my nephew, niece, dad etc...

@Michael Tennes: You could have them invite you as a guest (or vice versa) to get access to a single shared vault. Otherwise there's no encryption established, and securely sharing is impossible (without exchanging public GPG keys or something).

I remember at one time 1P would encrypt & send via email or txt msg and it was just that simple. Is there any such functionality. It's just plain cumbersome to have me using up one of their users just for the purpose of being able to disseminate items to my extended family.

No, that functionality never existed. What you're thinking of is that it is possible to send an item URL encoded via text or email, but this is not encrypted and is entirely insecure. After all, if it were encrypted, they would not be able to open it. You can still do this using the Share option, but it's not something we recommend obviously for security reasons. You could, however, transmit this information using an already established secure channel, like Telegram.

This discussion has been closed.