Dark menu bar c/w light 1P mini?

hafm
hafm
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I always use the "dark" menu bar within macOS SysPref. But in doing so the 1P mini window also comes up in dark. Is it possible to change this as I am not at all keen on this. Many thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0 (70000019)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nope. "Use dark menu bar and Dock" (System Preferences > General) turns our mini menu bar app — 1Password mini — dark as well. It will only be in "light" mode if you disable "dark" mode.

• hafm
    hafm
    Community Member

:'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's never come up before, and I guess it never occurred to me that someone would want the menu bar dark but nothing else...

• quotidian
    quotidian
    Community Member

Yeah. I like a dark menu bar and prefer light interfaces to everything else. The dark 1password is almost unreadable to those of us with poor eyesight

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@quotidian: I don't think we'll be ignoring the OS dark setting, especially with this becoming even broader in the upcoming macOS Mohave release. It's something we can consider, but everyone else we've gotten "dark mode" feedback from wants all of 1Password to become darker when this is enabled, including the main app window. We'll continue to listen to feedback from everyone and evaluate though.

• quotidian
    quotidian
    Community Member

Can't you just have a separate preference rather than piggy-backing off OS X's desktop settings? Every other app I have that does themes simply has a "light/dark" preference directly in the app. In makes no sense to me that a setting for dock/menu bar necessarily implies anything about apps. The menu bar dock are essentially the chrome and border of the screen. Also, one reason I keep my dock and menu bar dark is to minimize burn-in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we can consider, but generally we think it's best to follow Apple's lead where we can. Not only does that offer consistency with their OS, but also helps us avoid weird UI issues other apps that go it their own way face when Apple changes things. Which is not so rare.

• In the next version of macOS (10.14 Mojave), the dark dock and menu bar setting will be extended to the entire UI. See: https://www.apple.com/macos/mojave-preview/

• pgriffin90
    pgriffin90
    Community Member

I'd like to make the same request. I can't see the blue and red when in dark mode. I'm getting older.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If you disable "Use dark menu bar and Dock" in System Preferences > General, 1Password will respect the OS setting and follow suit.

This discussion has been closed.