Firefox private browsing & 1Password 7 mini

Stephen_C
Stephen_C
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have been trying for some time to get the bottom of why ⌥⌘\ will sometimes not bring up 1Password mini and on other occasions it will. I have at last understood that if I am browsing in a Firefox private window (as I normally do: see the Mozilla explanation of private browsing) that command will never bring up the 1Password 7 mini. It will do so when I am not in private browsing mode.

That is a regression from the 1Password 6 behaviour. With 1Password 6 I was always able to use that shortcut to bring up 1Password mini, even when browsing in a Firefox private window. In that case selecting a site in mini and pressing enter would open a new non-private window and log me in to that site. To my mind that was a much preferable workflow as I now always have to remember to open first a non-private window and only then use the shortcut to bring up 1Password mini.

I am using Firefox 60.0.1.

Stephen

1Password Version: 1Password 7.0
Extension Version: 4.7.1.3
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• @Stephen_C,

@littlebobbytables is working towards a fix for this. Essentially when you're operating in private browsing mode, its as if you have no windows open. And when there are no windows open mini never gets back a response to the request for the activeURL. It won't be in 7.0.1, but it will be sooner rather than later that this gets resolved.

Rudy

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@rudy thanks for the very helpful response. I'm happy it will be resolved in due course.

Edit: I also have great confidence that if it's in the hands of @littlebobbytables it will be sorted! ;)

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

lil bobby is my hero. :love:

• lwintriss
    lwintriss
    Community Member

I am having the same problem as others and cannot get the 1Password 7 add-on working while private browsing in Firefox 61.1 on macOS 10.13.6. Clicking the 1Password icon in my tool bar just brings up a blank box. Is AgileBits getting any closer to resolving this? I never had the problem with prior versions, and am sorry to see this change. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

• lwintriss
    lwintriss
    Community Member

Of course I meant Firefox 61.0.1 (64-bit) in my earlier inquiry. My first comment pertained to this problem on my MacBook Air (13" mid-2013), which was given to me recently. Oddly enough, I do NOT have this issue on my Mac Mini, which is running the same MacOS and version of Firefox and 1Password. Any thoughts on the discrepancy? Thanks again for any input.

• Hi @lwintriss ,

I'm actually not sure why it is working on your other machine, unless you had a window open that you didn't notice. Regardless, a fix is on the way.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Is this issue still being worked on? I'm unable to bring up the mini window when in a Firefox Private Browsing window.

This is on MacOS 10.13.6 with Firefox 61.0.2.

• @slacker074,

are you using the 1Password 7.1 beta?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slacker074: Are you maybe using 1Password X, not the desktop extension for 1Password for Mac being discussed here?

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

EDIT: Nevermind. After quitting and restarting both Firefox and 1Password, it's now working again. I should've tried that first. Sorry about that.

@rudy and @brenty,

I'm using:

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.7 (70007001)
    Mac App Store

Extension version: 4.7.2.90

I don't know what 1Password X is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

No worries. Never hurts to try. Thanks for the update! Just glad that all is well for you again. :)

P.S: 1Password X is our relatively new, self-sufficient browser extension. ;)

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@brenty

Interesting. Seems perfect for a Chromebook.

Does it have any advantage over using the desktop app and extension on a Mac?

• @slacker074,

I'd suggest trying out the 7.1 beta then, work was done to address this in that release.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

@rudy

My issue was fixed after a restart of both Firefox and 1Password. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rudy, you are most welcome! Sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

• jpmtam
    jpmtam
    Community Member

I am running 1password X in Firefox and 1password 7 on my Mac (installed 2 days ago). I am never prompted for my vault password when in private browsing mode. Normal browsing works fine. I see these other responses but I'm not sure what I should do for next steps? I am running the latest version on the 1password website for 1passwordX (firefox) and 1password7. Running macOS 10.14

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jpmtam: This discussion is about 1Password for Mac and its desktop extension. 1Password X is not involved in that. It sounds like you're having this problem:

Firefox private browsing mode issue [Firefox doesn't support background page 1Password X depends on]

1Password X can only work in Firefox when not in private browsing mode.

This discussion has been closed.