1Password Mini in V7 has added clicks

FogCityNative
FogCityNative
Community Member

I like a lot of what I see in 1Password Version 7.

But the one thing I miss terribly is the windows that open automatically that were in V6 but removed in V7. Now, I read the notes and read the part about the interface being still in development.

But I liked when I would hover the mouse over a password in the list, that password would open in a window. If I needed to copy the username or login password, I just slid my mouse over to "copy" (or "reveal").

In V7, I now must click on the > in the circle on the far right to open the window that used to open automatically. This is the one thing in V7 I absolutely hate. The automatically appearing windows in V6 (and earlier) were elegant. The added click is not elegant and not needed.

I hope this change is just temporary in order to get the beta out for testing and not part of a new interface design. If the added click was intentional, I hope you will restore the elegant functioning of V6 in the final V7 release.

1Password Version: 7.00000019
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: AgileBits Subscription

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative: I'm not sure I understand what "window" you're referring to, but you can still mouseover most fields in 1Password and click to copy:

But you don't need to copy and paste passwords at all in most cases: you can use ⌘ \ too fill the login for the current page; or if you have 1Password mini open, pressing Return or clicking the selected item will fill. You can also use or the ( > ) icon to view the item details when necessary.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

Things like credit card or passport. Sometimes these fields cannot be auto-filled.

The previous version would "cascade" on mouse over, opening windows as it went, so as a user all I had to do was move the mouse slightly until the window I wanted appeared. It was very elegant compared to the clunky way the new interface feels. My muscle memory screams when using this version. I really do not like the clunky-ness. The previous versions never required scrolling in a box. The log-in, pw, and 2FA were all visible without any scrolling.

My I suggest a "fill" icon or button rather than just a key combo or pressing return which is much less intuitive.

Someone who has never seen 1P should be able to figure it out in less than a minute. The program should almost intuit what I might want to do next. This one feels like it is just sitting there waiting for me to do something. So, sorry but I just don't like the look and feel of the new interface. I hope you can understand what I am describing.

Also I am not seeing any pop-up notifications when the 2FA code is auto-saved to the clipboard and then the clipboard restored. Maybe they are there and I am just missing them..

• @FogCityNative Thanks for the feedback! There are certainly some improvements to be made here and we're still working on some of them. :)

Also I am not seeing any pop-up notifications when the 2FA code is auto-saved to the clipboard and then the clipboard restored. Maybe they are there and I am just missing them..

They should be showing in the top right of your screen. If you don't see them, open System Preferences and click Notifications. Click 1Password in the list and make sure Banners or Alerts are enabled.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

I submitted a new comment with a screenshot showing you exactly where the new click is required. Here it is again:

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

In older versions this was a mouse over, not a click.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, thanks for clarifying. Many users — myself included — found the flyout menus pretty fiddly and just wanted to fill most of the time, so we've made "Fill" the default action there (Return). If you want to view the item details, you can click the ( > ) or press on the keyboard. But we'll continue to listen to feedback to see if others have similar feelings. Cheers! :)

• Derimagia
    Derimagia
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

As someone who doesn't like autofilling and prefers copying to clipboard, a way to change the default is really needed. My workflow got more clunky with the update. Right clicking also doesn't do anything currently, so adding this back to bring up a context menu would be nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Derimagia: I'm sorry, but copy and paste is not something we're going to prioritize over filling. The vast majority of 1Password users use 1Password's filling because it's more convenient, but others still use it because it's more secure. The clipboard can be accessed by any app, and that includes web browsers. Filling bypasses this. So it isn't our focus.

That said, I'm sorry that you find the new setup clunky, and we'll be streamlining it as we continue to iterate on the design. I can't promise that we'll make the specific changes you're asking for, but we'll be taking your feedback into account along with everyone else's to see what will allow us to help the most people with future updates.

• Derimagia
    Derimagia
    Community Member

I get the security of it, bu there is also security in auto-filling as if something is matched incorrectly the site could read it.

However the main thing that filling doesn't work for is non-web passwords. API Credentials, Server Creds, Repo creds, etc. And for some reason now it's harder to get to the main vault (The default global key doesn't bring up the main interface anymore?) so getting to copy and paste these has become a pain.

The overall experience is mainly still good. It's just less focused on people who aren't just using simple website creds. I get the default settings, I can't say I understand not having the options to change some of them though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I get the security of it, bu there is also security in auto-filling as if something is matched incorrectly the site could read it.

@Derimagia: If you mean that autofill can be a security and privacy issue, we're in agreement on that, which is why 1Password never autofills; it only takes an action when you tell it to.

However the main thing that filling doesn't work for is non-web passwords. API Credentials, Server Creds, Repo creds, etc. And for some reason now it's harder to get to the main vault (The default global key doesn't bring up the main interface anymore?) so getting to copy and paste these has become a pain.

Can you elaborate on these two(?) issues? There may already be a solution, or perhaps there's something we can improve in a future version. But to clarify, if you want to be able to fill login credentials in the web browser, definitely use a Login item for that, as that's expressly what they're designed for. I know it can be tempting to use a "Server" or "Password" item for this purpose, but when what you want is browser-based login-filling functionality, Logins are the way to go. But again, I'm sorry if I've misunderstood some of your comments. Either way, I'm sure that more details will be beneficial. :)

The overall experience is mainly still good. It's just less focused on people who aren't just using simple website creds. I get the default settings, I can't say I understand not having the options to change some of them though.

Having behaviours changeable means more development, more testing, and more opportunities for user confusion. So unless there's going to be a much greater net benefit, we try to avoid adding additional options. But they're absolutely something we're always willing to consider on a case-by-case basis.

Thank you for not only your kind words, but also your constructive criticism. Both are greatly appreciated, and motivate us to make 1Password even better. :)

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I'd like to add to the reason why copy and paste are still necessary.

So many sites are using third party API's to handle sign-ins. Sign in with Facebook, Google, and now Microsoft or LinkedIn. Or even Amazon. I assume the websites like these APIs for the data they receive from the third party and the fact they don't have to manage the code or log-in database.

But at the moment, 1Password has no facility whatsoever to recognize these third party authenticators and use them in any kind of workflow. You need to come up with a way to recognize them and use them in the same easy manner you have handled unique site credentials and 2FA codes. I'd say 20% of the sites I visit are using third-party authentification APIs.

For example, I get a free Washington Post subscription as part of my Amazon Prime membership. When I go to the WaPo site, I have no WaPo credentials to use. 1Password is stumped. I must click on the Sign In With button and then use 1Password to look up the third party credential and copy and paste it since fill doesn't work in many cases.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative: That's a really interesting point. First, if you'll share the specific URLs where you're encountering this, I'd appreciate it, as I wasn't able to find the page you're showing there.

But more to the point, you're right: if the page URL is sfchronicle.com, 1Password isn't going to offer to fill an amazon.com login for you. That's very intentional, as different behaviour would make it easy for all of us to fall prey to phishing scams. So 1Password will only fill on a website that matches the URL you have saved for the login. We're not going to change that.

However, in most cases, the single sign on things using Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. do the right thing and forward you to a URL for the login credentials you need to use. For example, when I go to https://feedly.com and click Login, it takes me to a window asking me to select from Google, Facebook, or a Feedly account to login. This is a feedly.com webpage. But when I click Google, it takes me to an accounts.google.com URL, so 1Password fills my Google account credentials just fine there. Similarly, clicking Facebook takes me to a facebook.com URL to login. This is the right way to do things from a security perspective, and while I remember when especially Facebook didn't require websites to handle things this way, they have for a while now. So you're not giving your facebook.com login credentials to some random site: you give them to Facebook, and they redirect your logged in session back to the site you're trying to use.

But the hard part is still that first page, when you're presented with multiple options. Which to choose? What I do is save a "dummy" login for that site, which tells me what I need to select. So at feedly.com, invoking 1Password shows me a fake login with "Google" as the username, so that I know to select Google, and then I can sign in using those credentials. Does that help?

Certainly not all websites do this the right way though, so copying and pasting may be necessary in some cases. Just make sure that you think twice about doing so.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

SF Chronicle.com pops a login box. While it has FB, Google, etc to log in. It also takes User name and password.

I have a direct user name and password for this site. 1Password will properly fill the login box. But it doesn't submit it properly. And I don't get logged in. It just closes the login box. If I manually re-open the login box, my username and password are still there where 1PW inserted them. But pressing return doesn't log me in. Pressing the sign in red button will sign me in. You'd probably need a user name and PW to test.

I appreciate the idea for creating the reminder as to which third party log in to use. But often the pops up for the third party is not taking me to the third party's site. So here this pop up box is asking for Amazon's credentials with 1Password seeing a change in the URL.

Try it with wapo.com. The Washington Post. click on the Amazon button. Go to 1PW browser pop-up. Is it showing your Amazon credentials? Or is it still showing wapo'com. It you don't have a wapo entry in 1PW, what credential is 1PW showing? If I can't just click fill and have 1PW enter my Amazon credentials while trying to use Amazon credentials to log into wapo.com I have to resort to copy and paste.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

SF Chronicle.com pops a login box. While it has FB, Google, etc to log in. It also takes User name and password. I have a direct user name and password for this site. 1Password will properly fill the login box. But it doesn't submit it properly. And I don't get logged in. It just closes the login box. If I manually re-open the login box, my username and password are still there where 1PW inserted them. But pressing return doesn't log me in. Pressing the sign in red button will sign me in. You'd probably need a user name and PW to test.

@FogCityNative: What's URL for where you're logging in there? I don't see anything that says "Sign In", etc. I'll be happy to test it, but I can't see where.

I appreciate the idea for creating the reminder as to which third party log in to use. But often the pops up for the third party is not taking me to the third party's site. So here this pop up box is asking for Amazon's credentials with 1Password seeing a change in the URL. Try it with wapo.com. The Washington Post. click on the Amazon button. Go to 1PW browser pop-up. Is it showing your Amazon credentials? Or is it still showing wapo'com. It you don't have a wapo entry in 1PW, what credential is 1PW showing? If I can't just click fill and have 1PW enter my Amazon credentials while trying to use Amazon credentials to log into wapo.com I have to resort to copy and paste.

It definitely matches, as this is an Amazon page:

I think the difficulty you're having is that they're hiding the browser toolbar. You can press ⌘ \ though to fill with 1Password. Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.