Cannot delete files during 1Password update

System
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: 🎉 1Password 7 for Windows Release Candidate is here and yep, it is totally lit..

Comments

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for your hard work.

I believe an update has been rolled out today (Win 10 beta 7 stable channel), and broke Win 10 1Password 7 Beta app (on two machines). I believe smth went wrong during automated installation (could not delete smth). Actual exe-file was deleted, so in order to get the app working again I uninstalled leftover not-anymore-functional 1Password app, deleted related userdata from Win profile folder, and installed the latest beta version. Also in Chrome I had to deal with disconnected extension.

I've disabled automated updates for now.

P.S. Can't find where to buy Windows 10 1Password 7 app license, with beta tester discount ;) I have a family trial account, 2 users currently on beta, so would like to buy two.

Thanks!

• Hi @wanderer,

Thanks for writing in.

I've split your post from the other thread, so we can help you directly.

If you received an error during the setup that says 1Password cannot delete the file, 99% of the times it is because it is anti-malware solution is interfering with 1Password's installation. Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using?

In the future, do not delete your data folder at all, you won't be able to recover any of your 1Password data if something goes wrong. You can delete the app folder but not the data folder.

P.S. Can't find where to buy Windows 10 1Password 7 app license, with beta tester discount ;) I have a family trial account, 2 users currently on beta, so would like to buy two.

You can go to the 1Password menu > License to click on the Buy Now button to get your license.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks Mike. I use Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium. ESET Internet Security and Windows Defender I also use, but that's less of anti-malware service, more of classic antivirus (based on signatures).

There is no 'Buy now' button there, please see the screenshot attached. Thanks!

• Hi @wanderer,

I use Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium. ESET

Both have interfered with 1Password in the past like this. I would suggest whitelisting the 1Password directory at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password. That should prevent it from happening again.

There is no 'Buy now' button there, please see the screenshot attached. Thanks!

That answers the question, you don't need to buy anything because you have a 1Password membership. All apps and future upgrades are included in your 1Password membership.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member

Thanks Mike, added exclusion and re-enabled auto-updates.

As for license, thank you for making me a member which I understand provided me with the license. In my web account it still says 'trial to be expired in 20 days', so I am slightly confused, will see what happens in 20 days :)

Cheers!

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi @wanderer,

You’re welcome.

Just to be clear, all 1Password memberships include support for local vaults. When you sign in to 1Password account in any 1Password apps (except for 1Password X extension, web app), all restrictions are removed including local vaults.

If you do not subscribe to a plan for your 1Password account, it’ll freeze by the end of the trial and you can only read your data. You’d have to renew or buy a license.

You’ll want to consider soon if you’re sticking with 1Password membership or get a license before the beta discount expires soon. The regular price for the Windows license is 65$.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. So, I understand, in 20 days, after trial ends, 'Buy license' button should magically appear in Windows desktop app.

Also, you've mentioned the price of 65$, though I read somewhere that beta-testers will get 50% discount. I am not sure what were the exact requirements, could you please let me know if I am eligible to buy 2 licenses with that discount?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wanderer,

After your trial ends, your account will get frozen. Moreover, the beta discount expires soon, so if you would like to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Windows, you can get it here.

I would recommend you to stick to your family account, as it has a lot of benefits and you can share your items easily. You can learn more about all the benefits on our website:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Please note that a standalone license purchase does not include 1Password account.

Let me know if it helps. If you have other questions, we are always here for you. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

I appreciate your clarification and patience :) I was under impression that license is the way of paying for 1Password cloud service, for every major version. With the alternative of subscription and monthly payments.

After reading the page you've linked, I realise that these are separate offerings actually. Will decide shortly, thanks!

• Yep. We need to do more to clarify the differences. In case others may read this, 1Password.com membership includes all apps including 1Password X extension that can run on ChromeOS, Linux and others, web site access, CLI and future upgrades, you never pay for any licenses or upgrades, it's already included as part of your 1Password account.

In addition, 1Password memberships also include the ability to support standalone vaults for certain apps, it removes all restrictions of any 1Password apps as soon as you sign in to your 1Password account. The exception is the 1Password X extensions and CLI.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

Another automated update didn't work. See attached screenshots. What will be the next step to work around?

• What about ESET?

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Alright, added the exclusion there as well. Waiting for next update then :)

Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Thanks, the next update should come very soon.

If you see the same problem, try to find out who is locking the 1Password.exe file with this guide.

• Mirtma
    Mirtma
    Community Member

ESET is OK. Malwarebytes is causing problems. I also put 1Pass to exclusion and still get an error. Then I killed Malwarebytes service through Task manager and it all went OK.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mirtma,

Thank you for the additional info! I am glad to hear that you were able to update 1Password. :) This info will be helpful for everyone reading this topic.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Mirtma
    Mirtma
    Community Member

:)

• Hi @Mirtma,

Would it be possible to ask if you can report this issue with MalwareBytes team to understand why they're not excluding it properly?

• Mirtma
    Mirtma
    Community Member

I will.

• Thank you big times!

@wanderer, can you try what Mirtma did and see if it helps today. We're aiming to have an update today.

• Mirtma
    Mirtma
    Community Member

Ticket submitted.

• 🎉 👍 Thanks again.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

On one of 2 machines I've excluded '1password.exe' as 'app that connects to internet' in Malwarebytes service, i.e. not only a folder. Will report if 1Password on that machine is successful at updating itself)

• Awesome, hopefully, we can narrow it down for MalwareBytes team.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Didn't help unfortunately. @Mirtma, thanks for posting an issue around MBAM exclusion mechanism. Could you please drop the link to the issue here, so we can watch it. Cheers!

P.S.
    It is weird that I can't see in MBAM activity history that it blocked smth.

• Mirtma
    Mirtma
    Community Member

I had to kill two MWB services from task manager. Then it worked.

• :( That is concerning. Hopefully, MalwareBytes can explain what’s going on.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Wondering if 1Password team plans to adopt Windows Store as a way of app distribution/updating.. curious why Windows Store wasn't targeted for all-new app in the first place, probably due to still large Windows 7 audience, but that's just the matter of time.

• @wanderer as a matter of fact we have started as Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 metro app, which later was transformed into Windows 10 Store app that could run on Windows Phones, Windows or HoloLens. At one point in time we chose to port it to regular Windows desktop. When you look at numbers, Windows 7 is still roughly the same share of desktop OS as Windows 10. If we start to support both desktop and Store models - it will drain a lot of development resources. But that's not the major reason to be honest, there are others.

Today if your 1Password crashes, on next launch you will be presented with banner offering to send crash report to us. We are notified of these reports in few seconds and we are able to act quickly. If we see that many reports are coming after new update, we can quickly turn it off, avoiding spread of bad build. We can fix the issue and redeploy, sometimes it took less than 15 minutes. How long does it take with the Store? Well, 3 days after the crash, we might see an issue in the Dashboard. I saw errors like 0 UNKNOWN - does that tell me anything? It gives nothing actionable. Same error would be reported differently by different Windows 10 devices, error location is often hidden and even if we figure out what to fix, the certification could take from 20 minutes (big thanks to all Microsoft people who did their job that fast!) to 3 days. Then it will take 1-3 days for certified update to reach users.

Most important blocker to us is that Store app model does not like integration with the rest of your system. It can be both good and bad, depends on from which point to look at it. We did tests by deploying the app through Store and neither Chrome, nor Firefox browser were able to connect to it. Store apps are isolated away from the rest of your system. Last time I checked Microsoft Edge has like 5% of browser market, Firefox 10% and Chrome over 60%. These numbers are approximate and vary from report to report, but you can get the scale. We can't just put app to Store and expect everyone to abandon their preferred browsers.

While current issue with updater failing to copy files is greatly annoying, at least you can close other browsers/whitelist 1Password in your AV or simply try to install again. When people wrote to us with "Store app is failing to update" we could do nothing at all. Just hope for mysterious updates or resetting Store app to work.

Personally I'd love to get back of doing Store app, we are working with Microsoft to find the solution that will work for everyone. But it takes time and we can't promise anything yet.

I hope that explains a little bit why things are happening this way. We are also investigating few other options to reduce/remove these file deletion issues.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@SergeyTheAgile, thanks for taking time and elaborating on the topic. It's unfortunate that collaboration with Microsoft (incl. usage of their services) is not as smooth as we would like it to be. Things you say make total sense, and I look forward to seeing improvements you will come up with.

Just FYI, likely you are aware of that already - one of your competitors solved the problem of store apps isolation via separate standalone native messaging host app, which lets core store app to communicate with browsers extensions.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.