1P for work PC vs 1Password X

Having just signed up for a family membership, I am merrily installing the apps wherever I need them and I was wondering what I should use for my work PC. I use a shared PC (in fact several in different places) and have my own login which is secured by a decent password and usually using a single signon ID card. These are Windows 7 PCs and are fairly locked down but I still seem to have the ability to install 1P and then have to give the installer the proxy password. My personal storage is mostly on a network drive - every user has their own space. My employer has up to 10,000 employees on the system.

What I am wondering is: Am I better installing 1P for windows on each PC I have access to? Or would I be better off installing the 1Password X browser extension in the browser (Chrome)? These PCs are used by quite a lot of other users under their own logins.

Thanks for any advice.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• KevinS
    KevinS
    Community Member

:'( :'( :'(
    For goodness sake! I come here to ask for help and all I get is a spam response!
    This sort of leaves a bad taste in the mouth about my moving to 1P from another password manager.

Does anyone actually have a REAL answer to my question?

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi @KevinS,

Thanks for writing in.

Sorry about that spammer, we’ve marked it as spam. Unfortunately, there is no 100% proof way of blocking spam.

As for your question, we do not recommend using your personal 1Password data on shared computers, there’s just no safe way to protecting your 1Password in that situation. Imagine if someone’ve compromised it and installed a keylogger, they could get access to your data without you knowing it.

1Password doesn’t require admin rights, it installs to your user profile, that’s why you have that option.

There’s no extra security with 1Password X if you think it’d help. It’s still downloading your encrypted data to be stored in the browser’s database (still encrypted, only accessible by 1Password X), just as 1Password app is only storing encrypted data on drive.

You may find it is easier to just reset 1Password X by uninstalling it in Chrome whenever you need it.

My suggestion is to start with 1Password X in Chrome and see if it fits your needs. The less you have to do with 1Password, the better on that specific computer.

• KevinS
    KevinS
    Community Member

Thank you Mike.
    That’s definitely useful advice.

• You're welcome, let me know if there's anything else we can do for you.

This discussion has been closed.