1Password 7 Local Sync Option?

Options
briankross
briankross
Community Member

Using 1Password 7.0.1 for macOS, is there a local sync option? I don't see one.

I've just upgraded to 1PW7 from 1PW6 and have an existing 1PW6 vault that I sync with a friend that I'd like to now add to 1PW7 without sharing as a family member.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 Local Sync Option?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @briankross

Using 1Password 7.0.1 for macOS, is there a local sync option? I don't see one.

Yes, it does. To access it you’ll either need to not be signed into any 1Password membership accounts, or enable 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts.

I've just upgraded to 1PW7 from 1PW6 and have an existing 1PW6 vault that I sync with a friend that I'd like to now add to 1PW7 without sharing as a family member.

Sharing 1Password data through the use of a 3rd party sync option (such as Dropbox’s folder sharing) is not a supported configuration. While it may technically work, it isn’t something we’ll be able to assist with or provide instruction for. We’ve seen a number of cases with this type of configuration where things simply stop working without any notification to any of the users. This sometimes goes undiscovered for some time, at which point the data sets may be different enough that merging them is a real headache (and again will not be something that we can help with).

We’d highly recommend using 1Password membership to accomplish any sharing of 1Password data. That is the only supported solution. If you’re using 1Password Families and just need to share a single vault with someone who isn’t a family member there is a solution for that: guests. You can learn more about that here:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

Of course if you are accomplishing this by simply using the same sync account across all devices then this isn’t really so much “sharing” as it is vanilla “syncing.” That would be supported.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• briankross
    briankross
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Hi Ben, thanks for the info!

This is the part where I say, "but I've been syncing via Dropbox for years and it's been working fine!". lol, all kidding aside, I have no doubt there can be issues, but I'm also sure that some companies have cloud policies where their data must be kept on their servers and synced that way.

Along the lines of either using Families or Teams, I'm not sure which one to use. On one side I have family and on the other side I have a couple of clients that each have a vault that I sync with them for web work. Sharing with guests is for a temporary time from what I understand, is that correct? If syncing with Dropbox is ultimately problematic, I'd like to make the switch, but also don't feel the need to pay for a client account in the process. :-)

What do you think?

Also, I'm in the process of going from an individual account via Apple subscriptions to a Family plan. I've cancelled the Apple subscription but have to wait for AgileBits to cancel it on their backend before I can move forward.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @briankross,

If you think the 1Password Families could be a good fit for your personal needs then I'd have thought combining the two approaches would work pretty well here. Have the account for your family where you can set up vaults for sharing between yourselves and leave Dropbox for your clients where you don't need to force them to change their habits.

Should your clients start to see benefits to the 1Password accounts they can then add you as a guest or member of their team and share stuff with you. That way it's their vault and their items but you still have the access you need to support them. If they don't want to have a 1Password account the Dropbox synced vault will continue to work as well in 1Password 7 as it did in 6.

If you've emailed us to help move the cancelled Apple subscription along have you received an automated reply that contained a ticket ID? If you post the ticket ID here we can find the ticket and get that done for you :smile:

• briankross
    briankross
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

Support ID: #BZP-99878-814

That makes sense but I have a question.

Can you explain this?:
    "Enabling this feature will create a Primary vault on your Mac. You will use the Primary vault to unlock 1Password from now on."

I don't really want or need a Primary vault on my Mac, does this replace my Personal vault on my account? I think I'd just do this on my primary Mac where I do the work.

• briankross
    briankross
    Community Member
    Options

Also, can I only invite a guest to access a vault only if they have a 1Password account?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @briankross,

Okay, so that's an undesirable side-effect I forgot to anticipate. To have any local vaults does mean the existence of a Primary vault but it can literally be an empty vault that you don't use for anything. It won't interfere or take over your Personal vault that is part of your 1Password account. The side-effect though would mean that for consistency, when you created the Primary vault you would want to set it to the same Master Password as your 1Password account so that you're not needing to remember two complex passwords. You would also need to update the Master Password for the Primary vault if you altered your 1Password account Master Password to retain the consistency. An empty Primary vault though would mean you could then attach Dropbox synced vaults and you can still perform all of your personal filling and saving using your Personal vault.

If any of that isn't clear do let me know.

ref: BZP-99878-814

• briankross
    briankross
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Got it, makes sense, thanks!

Two questions:

1. When do you think I might be able to make the switch to Families (ref support ID)
    2. With a 1PW account, can I only invite a guest to access a vault only if they have a 1Password account? (not referring to vaults outside of 1PW accounts).

Thank you.

• jswidler
    jswidler
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @Ben , I am trying to follow your instructions:

Yes, it does. To access it you’ll either need to not be signed into any 1Password membership accounts, or enable 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts.

But I cannot even open the preferences with version 7. Maybe this is because I am logged in with a 1password account? If so this is a circular problem for me. I set one up once, but I went back to using a local file and I don't know how to log into it.. I would like to downgrade back to version 6, but I can't even find a place to download it.

• briankross
    briankross
    Community Member
    Options
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @briankross,

So I believe one of my colleagues has responded to your email and I think you're good to go in terms of 1. For the second, I'm going to have to hold my hands up and say it's a bit of a weak area for me but I'm hoping the following support pages can help.

1. Share with guests in 1Password Families
    2. Share with guests in your team

If they don't answer all of your questions about the guest feature let me know. It might be opening a new thread in the Memberships section of our forums means your query is seen by more informed people than myself. Now if you have a question about the extension, then I'm your guy :lol:

• briankross
    briankross
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Number 1 is squared away (I can imagine you guys are swamped, totally understandable), and I'll check out 2.

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do let us know if we can be of any further assistance with this or any other query. We'll keep working with you until you're confident and happy you've got the right setup for you.

This discussion has been closed.