Fast user switching breaks Safari extension

Options
vtecjunkie
vtecjunkie
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

I have installed 1Password 7.0.1 on two macs running 10.13.4, and using a Families Account. First off, amazing piece of software, and nice job on the new interface. Everything seems to work well, except the Safari extension is unresponsive on both macs when the toolbar button is pushed. About 1 out of 10 presses, it may work, but usually there is no response. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the extension, and restarted both computers, with no change in behavior. Also, I have tried installing the extension from the Gallery and from the Developer, with no difference. Any help or confirmation of an upcoming fix is appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Families Account

Comments

• quarksta
    quarksta
    Community Member
    Options

With the release of 1Password 7 I decided it was time to go with the family subscription so that all my family members can have their own password vault. I have multiple user accounts on the one computer (OS X), however, 1Password only seems to work on one account (mine). I have installed it on the other accounts and set each of them up with their own vault and login.

The problem becomes apparent when trying to use 1Password with Safari. There is no automatic prompt to save passwords when logging into a website. Further, even if I add the login details manually, I still cannot enter them automatically in a website using the Command \ shortcut. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Safari extension but it does not seem to make any difference. In fact, each time I try to use 1Password mini in the browser, it asks me to install the Safari extension even though it is already installed.

1Password Version: 7.0
    Extension Version: 4.7.1
    OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
    Sync Type: 1Password.com

• Huracan
    Huracan
    Community Member
    Options

I believe there is a bug in the Safari Extension that makes it open the floating extension window on the first account you used 1Password after rebooting. Let's say you have users Jane and John. If Jane logs in and uses 1Password in Safari, and then the user account is switched to John without logging out of Jane's account the Safari Extension window will open in Jane's account even if you are clicking on it when seeing John's account. I hope the explanation makes sense. It seems like the extension opens some sort of socket that will cause the extension window to open on another user's screen. Try clicking on the button and then switch to the other account and see if the open floating 1Password window is waiting for you there. Seems to work fine on Firefox and Chrome.

• vtecjunkie
    vtecjunkie
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, nice work narrowing down the bug! You are 100% correct. Each of my Macs has 2 user accounts, and I verified your scenario. When I click on the toolbar button in my account, nothing happens, but when I switch over to the 2nd account, the extension window is open and waiting for the password. I verified this on each Mac, and it is consistently repeatable. Just FYI, I had not installed any beta versions....just did a straightforward upgrade from 6 to 7 once it was released. Thanks for your help! Hopefully, we will see an extension fix soon.

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I upgraded from 1PW6 to v7 with one account on the Mac. All went AOK, Mini extension, Safari extension and the main app all work OK. When I switched to the other account, only the main app seems to work. The Mini in the toolbar and the Safari extension don't work. I've reinstalled the Safari extension twice and rebooted and no change.

• quarksta
    quarksta
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same problem. Multiple user accounts on the same Mac but the extension only works on one account. I tried clicking on the extension on a non-functioning user account and can confirm that it did open the 1Password window on my main user account as described above. I've sent an email to 1Password support so hopefully this gets fixed soon. Until it is fixed, family 1Password accounts are not very useful.

• quarksta
    quarksta
    Community Member
    Options

I came across this discussion thread that identifies the cause of the problem.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/434168

It looks like there is a bug with the 1Password 7 extension although there is no fix for it yet.

• brianols
    brianols
    Community Member
    Options

This looks like a regression from an old bug I saw way back in the 1Password 4(ish) days. It's very annoying, and I'm seeing the same problem. Multiple people logged in on High Sierra, and the extension only works for one of them.

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having the same problem.

• stucki
    stucki
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I followed the instructions of the support, deleted the extension, installed it new, started new etc.
    It still doesn't work. (High Sierra 10.13.4 on a mac Mini, Safari Version 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.4) )

• stucki
    stucki
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem with firefox 60.0.1 ! So please hurry up, agile bits!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for reaching out, folks. I'm really sorry for the trouble. Indeed, there appears to be an issue where 1Password can sometimes not connect to Safari in subsequent user accounts when it was initially used in another. For now, using another browser can help, but we're looking for a fix and any other workarounds in the mean time. Thank you for your patience!

ref: apple-1428

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

7.0.3 did not fix this as suggested by the release notes. I am still seeing the problem.

• quarksta
    quarksta
    Community Member
    Options

It didn’t fix it immediately for me either but I updated to OS 10.13.5 and restarted and everything appears to be working fine now. Not sure if it was the OS update or restart but something obviously worked.

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

@quarksta i also updated MacOS today. I did that first (during which it reboots) and then did the 1PW update. I'll try rebooting again to see if that changes anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@quarksta: Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that did the trick for you. I was surprised by how small an update 10.13.5 was myself. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtk67: Definitely let me know. We've been hearing from others that 7.0.3 fixed this for them, so if that isn't the case for you we'll need to investigate.

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty a reboot did not resolve the issue for me.

• Ben
    Options

@mtk67,

What exactly are the symptoms that you are still experiencing?

Ben

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@ben It works fine for the user that I installed the update for. But if I switch to the other user on the Mac, nothing happens when I click the Mini toolbar icon. And the safari extension doesn’t appear to be functional either and since 7.0.3 when I use the 1PW app and try to switch vaults, the list on the right does not change at all. This seems to be the case for both users on the Mac.

• vtecjunkie
    vtecjunkie
    Community Member
    Options

As the original poster, I’ve verified that the upgrade to 1PW 7.0.3 and also upgrading to macOS 10.13.5 does not resolve the problem on either of my macs (which have 2 user accounts). When installing the updates to 1PW or macOS, I only had one user account active / logged in. Upon restarting, one account works fine. When switching to the second account, when I press the 1PW extension button in Safari, nothing happens....but, when switching back to the first account, the extension window is up and waiting for the password. Still appears that pressing the extension button in the second account triggers the extension in the first account. If any diagnostic data or other info is needed, I’ll be happy to provide.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks folks. I’ve re-opened the bug on this. We’ll be in touch if further information is needed.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

If you are still experiencing this issue I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90679/
    • Your forum username
    • A reference to the bug in question: apple-1428

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• vtecjunkie
    vtecjunkie
    Community Member
    Options

Just emailed the requested diagnostic report. The support ID is #PBI-21641-568. Thank you for your help!

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I will get mine to you on Thursday.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtk67: Sounds good. We'll be here! :chuffed: :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vtecjunkie: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you as soon as we're able! :)

ref: PBI-21641-568

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

I emailed the diagnostic report. The support ID is #BFK-76731-273.

Thanks,
    Mike

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@mtk67: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you as soon as we can! :)

ref: BFK-76731-273

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member
    Options

I assume this issue remains open? A few weeks ago the extension began working in both partitions. It seems a temporary fix may have been implemented that "mirrors" the use of the extension in 1 partition, in Safari in my other partition.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @davidboone,

The issue discussed here was fixed and was regarding the use of 1Password in multiple user accounts while both are signed in (through the use of Fast User Switching). The issue was resolved in v7.0.5 back in June. If you’re having the issue discussed here please update 1Password to the latest version. If instead the issue is that you have multiple operating systems installed in different partitions and are having trouble using 1Password under those circumstances please start a new thread with as detailed a description of the problem you can provide as well as all requested version information.

Thank you!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.