Mac App Store: Upgrading from 6 to 7 (Subscription Model)

Options
hnnnng
hnnnng
Community Member

I would like to upgrade from 6.8.8 to 7.0.1 but I didn't find any manual or guidance how to do this ideally.

Paying for the subscription model I guess I can download the new version via App Store, activate it and then can delete my old version? But how do I delete the old version without leaving any waste on my mac? Or should I delete the App Store version completely first and download a 1PW version from your website? Or... ?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1PW

Comments

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I quit version 6, installed version 7, tested it out, then moved version 6 to the trash. Seems to have done the trick..... save for the bugs and UI quirks in 1Password 7 but I don't think that's related to how you install it!

It was my understanding that apps are self contained packages in macOS so you can just drag to the trash to get rid of it all?

• hnnnng
    hnnnng
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

It was my understanding that apps are self contained packages in macOS so you can just drag to the trash to get rid of it all?

Every app creates files in ~/Library/Containers (if downloaded via Mac App Store) or ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Support. Some use apps like AppZapper to delete those files automatically but some report that those apps delete the wrong or too much files.

My preferred way is to look at the website of the program I would like to delete and to follow their instruction how to uninstall all files (like 1PW did).

But in this case (upgrading 1PW) and having the possibility of downloading the app through the App Store or directly on this page confuses me a bit because all I want is to upgrade an already installed program.

• DexM
    DexM
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I have AppStore subscription for 1Password 6. That's how I did it (so far everything seems to work fine):

1. Remove Safari extension
    2. Quit 1Password mini (instructions here)
    3. Drag 1Password to trash, there right click and Delete immediately
    4. Then in terminal you can run following commands to find 1Password related folders and delete them:
      • find ~ -iname *agilebits*
      • find ~ -iname *1password*
      • find ~ -iname *onepassword*
    5. After that install 1Password 7 from AppStore
    6. Login with 1Password credentials
    7. Install Safari extension
  • hnnnng
    hnnnng
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Why did you install the App Store Version instead of the direct download? Because you bought the subscription via App Store (if that is possible)?

• DexM
    DexM
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I had 1Password 6 subscription from AppStore. It still works with 1Password 7.

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @hnnnng! Just wanted to check in with you here. Are things working now? :) It sounds like you got them resolved but I just want to check.

• hnnnng
    hnnnng
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob, thank you for asking. Will try the way @DexM described this weekend and will report if every went fine as expected.

• hnnnng
    hnnnng
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update: Just installed the direct download of 1PW 7 after I deleted the 1PW 6 Mac App Store version (and all corresponding files). Everything works fine and now I will check out all the new Watchtower features.

Thanks again!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update!

Ben

• Danilochamorro
    Danilochamorro
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Im frustrated as I can not upgrade, have not been able to figure out, have tried everything and imposible.

I have version 6 purchased on Mac App Store.

I downloaded version 7, when I try to login in it ask me for password, I enter my password and does nor recognize.

Need help, I have been with you since first version but im running out of options, have not been able.

Is there somebody that can guide by phone?

Regards

Danilo

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Danilochamorro

I see you have an existing email conversation with Daniel on this subject. He is awaiting your reply. Please review the instructions Daniel sent you and if you have trouble following them please reply to him by email and let him know which step you’re having trouble with, and what the trouble is.

As a small team with a large customer base unfortunately we’re not able to provide telephone support.

Ben

ref: QKP-66966-282

• Danilochamorro
    Danilochamorro
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben, I do not see the email, from him, can you ask him to resend, I do not know how contact him, regards

• Ben
    Options

I see you’ve replied to Daniel’s email now. He’ll continue the conversation with you there. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.