1password 7 on Mac won't allow login screen

dbusk
dbusk
Community Member

Good afternoon. I'm attempting to migrate from the Mac App Store edition of 1password to membership-based 1password 7 from the site, following these instructions: https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/

Upon booting the app, I get the subscription screen (attached).

When I attempt to enter the email address attached to my 1password membership, it tells me to go back. I do, but the only option is the subscription screen.

As I installed 1password stand-alone on this machine previously before going to the Mac App store edition, it has me in some loop? Maybe delete some preferences in order to render the original login / password screen? I attempted both Reset All 1Password data and restart with no change.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member

I also had the MAS version, and decided as well to go to the subscription model to support development, but I got the new one also through the MAS as it is subscription only anyways, I didn't need the version from the website. I, however, did not follow those instructions. I removed everything from the previous versioning only saved one of the backup files to import into the new version. Upon launch I was able to import all my entries, and I never saw the subscribe window until I had 1Password all set up, extension installed, and went to log into a website. It would not allow me to log in until I subscribed. Don't know if this might help you get going, but it worked for me.

• jmmmv
    jmmmv
    Community Member

I am having the same issue. I cannot log in to the account I made on another machine. I only have the option upgrade which fails because my email address is already being used. This is just...bad.

I guess I will stay on 1Password 6 until this is resolved.

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member

Thanks, @DriverDon. I wonder if that's the only way to manage for it: Export from MAS v6, install v7, login. I do think I may have the same issue as @jmmmv, though, as I previously attached the same login email to an earlier edition. Fortunately, trashing v7 and returning to MAS version works fine while we get this solved.

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member

@dbusk If you have the MAS v6 installed, is it in standalone mode? Are you synching to iCloud?

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member

@driverdon, yep. MAS v6. Synching with iCloud. How might I determine whether it is in standalone mode?

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@dbusk Well, my question was kinda dumb as the v6 MAS version was a outright purchase, so yes it will be in standalone mode. My bad. So my suggestion would be, to download the MAS v7, as it is a free download (you subscribe in-app). Just close v6, and open v7, it should throw up the screen with Dropbox, iCloud etc.., select iCloud, see if it finds your vault and offers to let you unlock it. If it does, you're good to go, however logging into any websites in v7 will not work until you subscribe.

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@DriverDon That’s the trick. I subscribed on the site and that login isn’t allowing me the option to use the same email address. So is the answer to change my login email to one that isn’t in common with prior registrations or MAS?

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member

@dbusk So you subscribed on the site to a 1Password subscription already?

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member

@DriverDon, nope. It was a new subscription. The installer won’t accept that login and sends me back to the subscription options screen. It doesn’t allow for entering login / password at all.

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member

@DriverDon: To be clear, I activated a subscription on the site. I have not activated a plan previously. The installer insists I have an account already and sends me back to the subscription options page.

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@dbusk OK, when you launch 1Password, and you get this "Subscribe" splash screen, are you able to access the "Preferences" under 1Password on the menubar? If you can, see if you can add it manually there under "Accounts".

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member

@DriverDon Nope. Unfortunately, preferences is greyed out. I exported 1password 6 backup prior to going through the 1password 7 install so I'm going to see if I can do a proper uninstall of 1password 7 and start from scratch as you mentioned up-thread.

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member

@dbusk hope it works out!

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member

@driverdon, thanks. It appears to have worked! Took some trickery, but I finally got there. Thank you for your help. For everyone else's benefit, this is what worked for me --- it's a modification off Don's run down above. IF you plan to go from v6 / MAS edition / iCloud sync to v7 / direct download & 1password account, here's what worked for me:

• Before you do anything with the v7 direct download, open current 1password on your Mac, follow instructions to Export All items here: https://support.1password.com/export/ (NOTE: These will be unencrypted files so make sure they have made the move to v7 and then secure delete.)
    • Not sure if you will need this step, but I did: Follow manual uninstallation instructions for 1password v6 here here: https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/. (Again: Make sure the files from the prior edition are stored somewhere safe, preferably a USB drive so you know all data is saved. Technically, the vault data still rests in iCloud if you're syncing there as I did, but better safe than sorry.)
    • Restart
    • Download and install v7 from Agilebits site; login to your 1password site. You should see a freshly created account with a few starter items 1password was kind enough to add
    • Go to File / Import / Older 1Password and select the folder of the file items you previously set up. After a moment all should appear and will be sync'd with your 1password account. (You can hop on to the site to confirm in a few min.)

Now, back on your iOS device:

• Via settings you can add the 1password account
    • It will appear as a vault and as if there are duplicates of all the other iCloud-stored passwords. That's because you're seeing what the app believes are multiple vaults simultaneously - hence, the color ring in the upper left hand side
    • Once comfortable, you can switch to see your 1password vault if you prefer, eventually disconnecting the iCloud vault. (Suppose there's a means to properly delete that data via iCloud files, too, but haven't researched.)
  • DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member

@dbusk Glad to hear you got it going!

• dbusk
    dbusk
    Community Member

@driverdon, Thanks for all your help!

• Hi @dbusk @jmmmv @DriverDon ,

That was an error on our part. Version 7.0.2 now contains a link on that screen. Click that link if you already have a membership and it will take you to the sign-in screen.

Sorry for the inconvenience it has caused.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.