2-Factor Authentication on Second Phone

Options
Community Member

I have a 1Password membership and use it on 1 Mac and 2 iPhones. I set up the Mac and iPhone #1 fine, but I'm unable to log in on iPhone #2 without a 2-factor authentication, and the code on from iPhone #1 doesn't work on iPhone #2. How can I set up on iPhone #2?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @2349378428

Have you set up an authenticator app other than 1Password, such as Authy or Google Authenticator? Using 1Password as the generator for TOTP codes for 1Password is not recommended.

Ben

Community Member
    Options

I may have been unclear. I enabled 2-factor authentication and successfully linked my 1Password account on my iPhone #1 using a third party authenticator app. Then, I tried to link my 1Password account on iPhone #2 (same iCloud account), but the code from iPhone #1 does not work for iPhone #2 setup. The question is how to get a different code on iPhone #2. The 2-factor setup process only seems to anticipate 1 iPhone.

• Ben
    Options

@2349378428

The codes are time based (they change every 30 seconds), so you’d need to go back to the Authenticator app and get a fresh code from there each time you go to sign in on a new device.

Does that address your question?

Ben

Community Member
    Options

Closer, but still not quite ;) The timing isn't the issue, as the codes haven't expired. Rather, the code from iPhone #1 doesn't work on iPhone #2—at all.

• Ben
    Options

So, just to be clear: you have an authenticator app installed on iPhone #1 that is generating TOTP codes for your 1Password membership. You are able to use these codes to authenticate in the 1Password app on that same device, but not in the 1Password app on iPhone #2?

If so there are really only a couple of possibilities I can think of:

1. The date, time, or timezone on one of the devices is wrong, or doesn’t match the other devices
    2. There is a problem with one of your other credentials (sign-in URL, Master Password, etc) that is manifesting as a 2FA issue

Please check the time settings on all devices and make sure they are the same, and then also verify that you’re entering all other credentials exactly the same on both devices.

I hope that helps!

Ben

Community Member
    Options

Hm. I'll give it one more go, because I don't believe it is #1 or #2. Will check back!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. :)

This discussion has been closed.