Beta testing: Blank 1P window pops when l log in on a site using Edge

Dahu
Dahu
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Using Edge, I now get blank pop ups from 1P when prompted (to register a new password or most probably to unlock 1P).
I just upgraded simultaneously to the latest version of Windows 10 (Version 10.0.17134 Numéro 17134) and 1P Beta (7.0553), and I cannot tell which caused the change on behaviour, but everything was fine before using the Edge extension with earlier versions.!

Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0

Tell me if you need more information for debugging.
Regards,
Rodolphe

1Password Version: Beta (7.0553)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 (Version 10.0.17134 Numéro 17134)
Sync Type: Edge

Comments

• Hi @Dahu,

Thanks for reporting this.

Do you have Intel Graphics? If yes, can you uninstall the Intel graphics drivers and reboot, see if that'll address the issue. We're seeing reports of this type of issue with Intel drivers on Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update.

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your quick reply.

Do I have Intel Graphics? I do not know, but I suppose so: "Manage" says my card is "Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000". The driver is up to date.

If I uninstall the driver, how will the PC work afterwards? Isn't the driver needed for the PC to function?
    Waiting for a response before I proceed.

However, I find it weird that users must uninstall drivers for a passord manager to work when every other application seems to work correctly...

Regards,
    Rodolphe

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

(continued) Well, you seem to know what you are talking about, so I did not wait and followed your instructions. Long reboot, then disply screen with an unusual low resolution… then everything back to normal, and 1Password still not working. It seems that Windows simply reinstalled the driver that was needed.

• Hi @Dahu,

Thanks for trying that. I'm sorry that we didn't get back sooner to answer your questions before you try it.

If I uninstall the driver, how will the PC work afterwards? Isn't the driver needed for the PC to function?

Windows will reinstall the basic drivers and pull updated drivers after the reboot. Sometime the reinstall itself fixes the issue.

However, I find it weird that users must uninstall drivers for a passord manager to work when every other application seems to work correctly...

The reason I bought up Intel is because we have a small spike of reports from Intel users reporting identical UI glitches as soon as they install Windows 10 April 2018 update. When UI glitches start as soon as a Windows update is installed and we have not changed anything, it almost always is a driver issue as new Windows upgrade include new GPU drivers.

We use Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), which uses DirectX (which then uses GPU) to render our UI. DirectX is impacted by your graphics drivers. When the DirectX doesn't work right, it generally affects all WPF apps but not all WPF apps uses the same UI components that are affected.

Here's one with the identical report yesterday: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/433455/#Comment_433455

The problem is, this is an issue with Windows, not 1Password. We had an identical issue 2-3 years ago and Intel addressed it in a follow-up driver update.

then everything back to normal, and 1Password still not working.

Hmm, can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, we need to reproduce it and report it to Intel. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

Thanks for your detailed answer. Support from AgileBits in itself is a good reason to choose 1Password.

About the WinBug: There was an updated version of the driver yesterday (not visible the day before). The update failed, then I received an update of Windows 10, which did not solve the issue, then I looked for driver updates again, there were none, then I trying your trick again (removing the driver)…

and it worked!

Thanks for your initial directions which eventually led me to the solution.

Regards,
    Rodolphe

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

Well… the issue comes back after a while. It seems that Windows uses a basic driver after I remove the one from Intel Graphics, but automatically "udaptes" and reinstalls the faulty driver.
    About your suggestion: not sure I can have a diagnostic, since 1Password does not crash in any way. It is the the content of the window that does not display, but the cursor changes between I-beam and arrow when I fly over the blank window. So, I suspect that from the application's perspective, everything is fine.
    I think I will just avoid Edge for a while…

Regards,
    Rodolphe

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dahu,

Thank you for keeping us posted! We are investigating this issue now. Are you using 1Password extension in other browsers? Does the issue remain there? Please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

Yes, I also use Chrome. Same issue. However, I just reactivated the extension for the sake of testing. With Chrome, I am using 1PasswordX instead, with which I have no problem.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Dahu: Thank you for your reply! 1Password X is different, so we do not expect you to see this issue there.

Hopefully, Intel will be able to provide a fix soon. We will also check what we can do from our side. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

Follow up in case other users are impacted by this. This bug apparently stroke other Windows 10 users after other Win10 updates with other applications, with other drivers and cards.
    What worked for me: use DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1095). Apparently, this utility does more than just removing the driver, it also does some cleaning up (to be run in Safe mode, tricky to find in Win10).

Regards,
    Rodolphe

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

Weird: after removing the Intel driver, I still had a default driver, and everything seemed to work fine, except that I could no longer use an external screen or projector… This was not acceptable for my job, so I had to reinstall the Intel driver, and of course the bug came back.

Then, I realized duet display did not work. I reinstalled (simple repair failed) duet display (great software for owner of an iPad Pro!), and not only DD works… but that apparently cured the "empty window" bug as well.

In French, "tomber en panne" means to break down, and "tomber" means "to fall". For Microsoft devices, we had to invent "tomber en marche" which I cannot translate. Something like "fail up", suggesting that a device accidently works for no apparent reason, without you understanding what makes it work, and without any confidence.

Regards,
    Rodolphe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dahu: Wow. Thanks for the update! That does seem odd, but it's good to know what worked for you in case it helps others as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.