Please add Multiple Local Vault Support to the Android App

Options
raaomoka
raaomoka
Community Member

With 1Password 7 on Windows, you guys have done a very great job revamping the UI. In the process however, you also ditched a key organization function of 1Password 4; folders. On the up side, you provided the more intuitive option of having multiple local vaults, which can be used in a similar way to folders; categorize credentials. So, no issues on the Windows side.

However, the Android App currently doesn't support multiple local vaults, it only works with 1, making it impossible to locally keep my credentials in sync between my Note 8 and Surface Pro 2, like I've been doing with 1Password 4.

Now before you say it's not needed due to your 1Password.com online service offering it, keep in mind that there are those of us who only considered 1Password due to it all working locally. Multiple local vaults are needed for those of us who don't want to use your cloud service. If I were fine with putting all my credentials in someone else's storage (a.k.a. the cloud), I wouldn't have ever considered 1Password to begin with. LastPass has forever been doing that and did it better on Android last time I used it. However with my growing awareness of security/privacy issues, I'd much rather keep all sensitive data local only, the cloud is only for data I don't mind shearing with the next person on the street.

Please kindly implement multiple local vault support in the 1Password Android app, and provide a complete upgrade experience. Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.1.1
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• peri
    Options

Thanks for reaching out @raaomoka. We don't have plans to support multiple standalone vaults, as we're currently concentrating on 1Password memberships. I'll pass your feedback on to our team, though, in case we ever revisit this. Thanks!

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Well, guess I wouldn't be buying the 1Password 7 then, no point in buying an "upgrade" that downgrades my experience with the product...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's your prerogative, but it doesn't make any sense to me: that isn't a feature we've removed; 1Password for Android has never supported multiple local vaults. I'm not sure it's something we can devote development resources to given the small number of users whom it would benefit. If you had something else in mind though, please let me know.

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

That isn't a feature we've removed

It is a feature you guys made necessary by ditching folders. In fact, your current 1Password 7 UI for saving new credentials works with vaults EXACTLY like 1Password 4 worked with folders; for quickly categorizing new logins:

So, why not make the mobile app capable of taking advantage of this new and more intuitive replacement for folders? Heck, you guys implemented multiple local vault support for iOS way back in 2014, so, this is clearly just disregard for Android user experience, which I won't be supporting:

https://9to5mac.com/2014/04/22/1password-for-ios-updated-with-all-new-design-support-for-multiple-vaults-and-more/

You guy's current idea of using "nested tags" as a replacement for folders isn't even user friendly with your current dialog for saving new credentials. It lives a lot of room for errors by requiring us to manually recall and type out the tag names every time we save a credential, and it's a slower process compared to how you had folders setup in 1Password 4 and have vaults setup in 1Password 7.

You still seem to only care about providing a complete user expereince on apple devices. While selling half-baked experiences at similar price to non-apple users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is a feature you guys made necessary by ditching folders. In fact, your current 1Password 7 UI for saving new credentials works with vaults EXACTLY like 1Password 4 worked with folders; for quickly categorizing new logins:

@raaomoka: I guess I don't see how tags is related to multiple local vaults.

So, why not make the mobile app capable of taking advantage of this new and more intuitive replacement for folders?

That's exactly what we're doing. :)

Heck, you guys implemented multiple local vault support for iOS way back in 2014, so, this is clearly just disregard for Android user experience, which I won't be supporting:

You may believe that, but the reality is that there simply wasn't demand for multiple vaults on Android until after we launched 1Password.com; and even now, when there are certainly a few people asking for that feature, many more are requesting other features. We need to prioritize working on things that will help a greater number of 1Password users.

You guy's current idea of using "nested tags" as a replacement for folders isn't even user friendly with your current dialog for saving new credentials. It lives a lot of room for errors by requiring us to manually recall and type out the tag names every time we save a credential, and it's a slower process compared to how you had folders setup in 1Password 4 and have vaults setup in 1Password 7.

You're right. There's a lot of room for improvement with the brand new nested tags feature. It's something we're actively working on.

You still seem to only care about providing a complete user expereince on apple devices. While selling half-baked experiences at similar price to non-apple users.

Nope. If that were true, we wouldn't have added features to 1Password for Android, or spent the last two year building a brand new Windows app from the ground up. I understand why you may feel these things you're saying are true, but our release history for years now tells a different story. We still have a lot of work to do to make 1Password consistent across platforms, but that isn't going to happen overnight, only with dedicated, methodical effort, one update at a time.

• tenebris
    tenebris
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@brenty Well said. I'm disappointed as a long time mac/iOS user to find that multiple vaults aren't supported on my shiny new android phone I've the "pleasure" of using but as a developer I understand and appreciate your response. I have separated into vaults my work/household/personal information in order to facilitate sharing. Unfortunate that I'll have to choose one vault only for this device.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tenebris: Thanks for understanding. I'm sorry it isn't something we can justify working on at this time. In the local vault world, multiple vaults just aren't used by very many people though. As someone who falls into that category though, I feel your pain. I had to make the same choice myself, and opted to go with personal stuff on my Android devices. I'm also using a 1Password.com account there too now, so that helps a bit. I know that's not a particularly helpful answer, but it's only because 1Password.com was introduced and made managing and syncing vaults easy that most folks are even taking advantage multiple vaults on any platform. It's something we'll continue to evaluate, but I don't have high hope since it's been years already and we haven't seen this change. Multiple vaults just never took off in the wider local vault world, even though for some of us they're really important. :(

This discussion has been closed.