Local vs AB Hosted Vaults

Stoli
Stoli
Community Member

I'm thinking of moving to family, but have some questions about the actual locations of various vaults.

First, I am aware that anything stored on AB servers is an encrypted "blob". However, even that has implications.

In the process of moving to a family sub, the first step is to move my existing data over. The last substep is to delete my current vault, presumably because that information has been transferred to a vault on AB servers. Is there a way to not have to do this and keep my current vault local, and only use AB servers for shared vaults?

Until I am more comfortable with the family idea, is a reasonable usage scenario to have everyone keep their personal vaults local (so 1P works the same as it is now), and we use the shared vault only as a temporary location where we'd "post" what we want shared, then copy the info to each person's local vault? I understand the issues with having data in multiple locations, but I may be willing to perform this trade to keep my "blob" off the cloud.

Additional questions:
1) When creating a vault, how does one specify the location (local vs AB)?
2) Is it easy to query a vault to determine its location (local vs AB)?
3) Is there any limit to the number of local vaults that can be created?
4) Will local vaults sync the same way if I sign up for a family plan as they do now under a single person license?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Stoli,

Is there a way to not have to do this and keep my current vault local, and only use AB servers for shared vaults?

This should be possible, hopefully someone with more knowledge could help. It has been a while since I used the standalone vaults myself. One thing you would want to do in this case, is to set "Vault for Saving" in Preferences > Vaults.

1) When creating a vault, how does one specify the location (local vs AB)?

You need to enable "Allow creation of standalone vaults" checkbox in Preferences > Advanced. After that you would do it the same way it was done in 1Password 6.

2) Is it easy to query a vault to determine its location (local vs AB)?

Yes. They should be displayed separately in the sidebar.

3) Is there any limit to the number of local vaults that can be created?

I do not think there is. Note that you can only sync a single vault using iCloud.

4) Will local vaults sync the same way if I sign up for a family plan as they do now under a single person license?

Yes, you will have to set it up manually for each vault.

This discussion has been closed.