Plannings for Version 8?

GOODRIDDANCE
GOODRIDDANCE
Community Member

I have purchased version 6 in the AppStore.
Honestly, I'm very upset that upgrading to a V8 should cost money again.

Since I do not want to support your subscription policy (who would like to subscribe for an application?), I am considering buying a one-time purchase license from version 7.

Of course, I would also do that reluctantly, if I already knew that in 1-2 years then a version 8 released, which would have to be bought again.

Please let me know when the next major upgrade to a V8 is planned.

Should a V8 be planned for next or next year, unfortunately, I have to change to a competitor product.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Doesn't 1Password membership include all future upgrades:

• Get every update at no additional cost

?

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

Exactly @Mark Sealey he doesn't want to subscribe.

Good news for you @GOODRIDDANCE is that Version 7 has a lot of flaws right now that they're gonna have to spend time fixing ;)

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I'm not 100% sure of the pricing under the new system; I'm sure a mod/someone from AgileBits will correct me if I'm wrong.

But I have been a happy user for many years… the one time I ran into real trouble (a crash when trying to select all fields in a tsv export to an externally-mounted HD - and of course now fixed), I got absolutely superb support… nothing was too much trouble for the tech. who helped me.

So I'm happy with this new arrangement - precisely because, I think (and again, I'm ready to stand corrected) when version 8 does come along, I will 'already have paid' for it, so to speak :-)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@Mark Sealey

Yes memberships include the latest and greatest version of 1P.

A subscription account includes the full versions of the desktop and mobile apps for no extra cost.

From https://support.1password.com/faq/

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

1Password from 4 to 6 were not paid upgrades (I am 99% about this). 1Password 7 is the 1st paid upgrade in 5 years (this I am 100% sure).

The subscription/membership model, all the updates are included on all platforms.

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member

I know that updates in the subscription model are "free". That's why every month costs are incurred. In the long run, this model will be more expensive than a one-time purchase.

Personally, I do not want to support these subscription models. I do not know how much software you use, but imagine you would have to sign up for each application monthly subscription? I do not work to rent software. When I need software, I buy them and I expect free support / upgrades for a certain period of time.

But everyone as he wants. If you find this new subscription model good, you are free to subscribe.

Back to my actual question:

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

@GOODRIDDANCE: Just to be sure you're aware. The difference between the subscription model and the licensing model is not just a financial one. What you get for your money is also quite different. You can read about the benefits here:

https://support.1password.com/why-membership/

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a license. I just wanna make sure you know what you get. :)

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member

I know that.

Again back to my actual question:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@GOODRIDDANCE 1Password 7 was just released, I bet they don’t even know what 1Password 8 will bring yet.

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I´m sure that they exactly know what their release list for V8 is.

The requirements do not come in this year but are collected for years and not all implemented with V7.

After the release is before the release...

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Hi there @GOODRIDDANCE

Actually, we don't have anything planned for 1Password 8 at the moment. 1Password 7 is quite possibly our biggest release ever and, considering that it just released last week, it is still claiming all of our focus. I couldn't even begin to tell you when to expect 1Password 8 because it's not even close to anybody's radar at the moment. All of our focus is currently on 1Password 7 and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

As for our membership model, it's not quite as you claim. The monthly (or yearly, for most people) cost is not really for the app itself but rather for the 1Password sync service and all of its various benefits. We are aware that subscriptions are becoming an unsettling norm for various things that don't necessarily warrant them. So we worked hard to make sure that our membership service provided some real concrete value for the people who choose to use it. That value comes from the 1Password sync service and all that comes with it.

Syncing has always been the thing that has caused both us and our users the most trouble. A majority of our support tickets and time are spent on helping people solve their sync issues when using standalone sync services. Dropbox, and iCloud are great services that I happily use myself in my daily life. However, they are generalized services meant to support as many types of data as possible. 1Password has some very specific requirements due to the secure nature of the data it works with. It is also extremely intolerant of oddities. As such, 1Password syncing with these services often breaks, especially if you start introducing multiple platforms and devices into the mix. Given that we don't operate these services, it is difficult for us to troubleshoot when things go wrong. We wanted to solve this problem, so we built our own service, the 1Password.com service from the ground up solely for the use of 1Password. Since we built it, we can guarantee that it works flawlessly with 1Password no matter what device or what platform you are using and if something does break, we can fix it because we have the people who built it right on hand. There is no setup needed, no maintenance needed, nothing at all to worry about. No matter the device or the platform used, you simply link the 1Password app to your account and your data is there and syncs instantly.

Controlling the system ourselves also allows us to provide a whole measure of other features, such as Travel Mode, automatic, no fuss backups, support for optional 2-factor authentication and easy, built in, and secure sharing between family members or team members within a business, all within 1Password and all while retaining full security for each person.

In addition, as people start to use more and more different types of devices, phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, watches and so on, all on different platforms, it becomes a nightmare trying to juggle all the different licenses for each device. What device does this license apply to? Which device can you use with what version? What happens when there is an upgrade? With device can upgrade? It becomes incredibly unwieldy. With a membership, there is nothing to worry about. You simply have 1Password on any device, any version, no questions asked. It's ease and piece of mind for our users.

We work hard to make sure that our membership is worth the monthly fee. If are customers start to feel that our service is no longer worth the asking price, then that is something that needs to be addressed and they are free to cancel at any time and retain full access to their data. As for price, if you use more than one platform or have multiple people in a family using 1Password, a membership actually ends up cheaper in many situations than it would be to go the license route.

However, we do understand that some people prefer to pay for software up front, so we still provide that option for those who wish to do so.

• con_man_not
    con_man_not
    Community Member

any news or thoughts 1,5 years later as to a v8 release ?
    (:

THX !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@con_man_not - I mean, sure, we're planning to do one -- but I have no information to share regarding timelines for when you might see any such new version. We don't normally pre-announce release dates as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned, and thanks for your interest.

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

@Lars Does AgileBits have a policy about new versions which come out after purchasing a standalone license? With the Safari update which just got rid of the version 6 Safari extension I now need to look into upgrading. But I was purposely waiting or version 8 before I bought my next standalone license. What will AgileBits do for those of us purchasing a version 7 license if version 8 comes out within 12 months of the purchase?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kazooless:

I don't believe we have a formal policy, but if you purchase a license before a next major upgrade, we can certainly help you with that :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kazooless - historically, we've been pretty generous both with upgrades and "grandfathering." Anyone who purchased a license from our store for 1Password 4 for Mac got a free upgrade to version 5...and again to version 6. That's unlikely to happen again because it was a unique set of circumstances. But we always have at least a few months of "grace" built into new purchases. I don't have any news to share about plans for release dates or pricing for any future version 8...and I would caution against expecting a full year of "grandfathering" in any upgrade. But it won't ever be the case that you can purchase Version X on one day and be required to purchase Version X+1 the very next day.

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

Thank you Lars. I am one of those who originally acquired a version 4 license so I’m very grateful for the grandfathering which occurred. And as you see, I’m about ready to purchase a new license. I just wanted to ask about timing and policy. Thanks again.

• On behalf of Lars you're very welcome. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.