To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why is there no way to sign into a family membership to set up on a second computer?

sscott
sscott
Community Member

I have created a Family membership. 2 users set up on the first machine.

I want to set up the same 2 users on a second machine.

There is no way to sign into a family membership on a subsequent machine?!
2 choices: Start a trial membership or get a license? This is bonkers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

I had the same problem and found that if you select the option to get a a standalone license you can then get into 1Password where you can sign in to an existing 1Password account. But first, after getting into the app, you should cancel the dialog that will be shown asking for payment info for the license purchase.

I did that for an Individual membership; the process could be a little different for Family.

No, it shouldn’t be this hard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@jtucker, @sscott: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You should be able to choose the "1Password.com" option under "Used 1Password before?":

Are you seeing something different than this?

• sscott
    sscott
    Community Member

That was the original welcome screen, seems it changed to the one with something like "lets get started" (maybe 7.0.1)
    and every time I tried to go back it just went back to the screen with the only option to start a trial membership, or in fine print get a license.

• sscott
    sscott
    Community Member

I probably didn't try to get a license, and then expect to be able to back out of that and get to a login screen, oddly enough!
    If that is the only way to get a login you may need to revise the UI?!

• sscott
    sscott
    Community Member

Sorry I can't get a screen grab as I have now set this up on 3 iMacs, 2 phones and an iPad and run out of fresh hardware.

• sscott
    sscott
    Community Member

Ok, I just tried as a Guest user on this machine, using 7.0.1 and I indeed did see the screen that you pasted above.
    That wasn't the screen I was seeing on my home machines, it was the second screen after clicking Start my trial,
    and there was no way to go back to that screen.
    Maybe there was a glitch on that machine, but it was definitely presenting the "lets get you started" screen as the first screen,
    with the price mentioned per month.
    Hence why I seem to have inadvertently started a monthly subscription that I was charged for, before I could cancel it, to then log in as the family membership!

• sscott
    sscott
    Community Member

I selected Try free for 30 days and was taken to an iTunes subscription dialogue that has now invoiced me for A5.99 for an individual monthly subscription.

• megalo
    megalo
    Community Member

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue. No way to sign into an account in 7.0.1 – only trial and "need a license" available. Please fix…

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Maybe there was a glitch on that machine, but it was definitely presenting the "lets get you started" screen as the first screen, with the price mentioned per month.

@sscott: To be clear, the screenshot I posted above is the first screen. I don't even see an option that says "let's get started". Were you maybe running an old beta on another machine? It's also possible there was a bug in 7.0, but this is the only thing I can see on any machine with 7.0.1.

Hence why I seem to have inadvertently started a monthly subscription that I was charged for, before I could cancel it, to then log in as the family membership!

Even if you subscribed for some reason, you wouldn't be charged until after the 30 day trial is up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@megalo: Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

@brenty

To clarify here (and for another thread where I mention this to you), what several of us are trying to explain is that the screen in your first posting above does not appear, we ONLY get the screen that gives the option of starting trial or getting a new license. Something is broken in the installer. To be completely accurate, some of us did see that screen -- it appears for less than a second before going on; if you blink or aren't paying close attention you never see it. And you can't possibly click in it.

I will also add that this happened only on the second Mac I tried to install (which happened to have a different iCloud account). It was using the 7.01 release. My first install, using 7.0 release, was a completely different but equally frustrating experience. I don't recall all the details but it never accepted my trial of 1Password membership. For it, I eventually went to the website to start the trial and then entered that information in the installer. That installer did give the option of signing in to existing account. The new one, at least in some situations does not give that option.

So again, on the second Mac with 7.01 point release and a different iCloud account, signing in to an existing account is never presented as an option during install.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To clarify here (and for another thread where I mention this to you), what several of us are trying to explain is that the screen in your first posting above does not appear, we ONLY get the screen that gives the option of starting trial or getting a new license. Something is broken in the installer. To be completely accurate, some of us did see that screen -- it appears for less than a second before going on; if you blink or aren't paying close attention you never see it. And you can't possibly click in it.

@jtucker: Indeed, thanks for clarifying. That helps a lot. If I am understanding you correctly then, you were using 1Password 6 without an account on that Mac, but upon upgrading to 1Password 7 there you were trying to also switch to an account at that time. Is that accurate? If so, 1Password was seeing your existing (non-account) setup and offering either a license to continue using that or a migration to 1Password.com. So you would have needed to reset 1Password in that case, and then you'd be in the state I described above. We've released 7.0.2 to better account for that scenario. I know that may not help you or others who had difficulty with this already, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience that caused. If you encounter further issues please let us know so we can help with those too.

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

Correct, 1Password 6 without account, tried to switch to account with install of 7. Your explanation sort of fits what was happening on the second Mac, but the first install had a different sort of problem -- it was letting me sign up for an account within the installer, but then not recognizing that I had done that, rinse, repeat.

The 7.02 will probably fix the issue, but to be more precise:

1. Originally using 1Password 6 from the website with Dropbox syncing, no 1Password.com membership.
    2. Downloaded 1Password 7 from the website and tried to sign up for the 1Password.com trial within the installer. Don't remember the details but was in some loop because it never seemed to recognize my signup. Went to the website directly and signed up and was finally able to add that membership in the installer.
    3. After a few days of testing and after the 7.01 update, I tried to install on a second Mac that uses different AppleID and was using 1Password 6 with Dropbox just like the first Mac. That install was also downloaded from the website. Never from the App Store.
    4. That installer put me in the loop where my only choice was new membership or new license, never able to just sign in with my existing membership. I got around that by choosing new license, which let me in the app where I cancelled the license order and signed in to 1Password.com account within Preferences.

All is well now, but it was really a painful process. I don't remember ever having any kind of trouble installing in the previous decade of using 1Password. I'll add that I'm a techie -- primarily network engineering, but lots of IT support and development -- and it was hard for me; I can't imagine the frustration for people with a different background.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@jtucker: Thanks so much for the additional details! Indeed, I think we're on the same page here and this will not be a problem for users on the latest version. You're right that it shouldn't be that hard, and would be even more of a challenge and frustration for less technical folks. I really appreciate your feedback on this. Thank you for taking the time to do so. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.