1Password 7 with subscription AND standalone vault

gazu
gazu
Community Member

Hi guys.

I'm a 1Password individual subscriber and I know that I get your software on all platforms.

When 1Password 7 gets released next week does it allow me to create a standalone vault (non-synced) in addition to my online vaults? Some of my most crucial passwords I never want touching the cloud which is why I want to do this.

I also use 1Password 6 on an air-gapped computer. I currently work around this by copying the 1Password10.sqlite file to the system. Please confirm if I can use the 1Password 7 installer exclusively offline by doing what I do currently or will it need to touch base to your server to register?

Are 1Password 7 local vaults compatible with MacOS?

Bottom line:

• Does 1Password subscription support local vaults?
  • Can 1PW7 subscription be installed on an offline computer?
  • Will a Windows 1PW7 local vault work on a Mac?

Cheers!
:chuffed:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When 1Password 7 gets released next week does it allow me to create a standalone vault (non-synced) in addition to my online vaults? Some of my most crucial passwords I never want touching the cloud which is why I want to do this.

@gazu: Yep. :)

Just keep in mind that 1Password's security doesn't depend on you jumping through these hoops. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

I also use 1Password 6 on an air-gapped computer. I currently work around this by copying the 1Password10.sqlite file to the system. Please confirm if I can use the 1Password 7 installer exclusively offline by doing what I do currently or will it need to touch base to your server to register?

You'll need to be online to download it of course. But yes, the installer will work offline. ;)

However,

Can 1PW7 subscription be installed on an offline computer?

No. You'll need to be connected to the internet to sign into the account.

Are 1Password 7 local vaults compatible with MacOS?

Yep! OPVault is supported across all platforms. Cheers! :)

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I have a related question specifically around standalone and subscription.

I have the 1Password 7 beta standalone and have just now added a subscription trial. I've discovered that when I launch 1Password I am still being asked for my local vault password to unlock... but having unlocked I also have access to my subscription vaults (which have a different master password).

Is this expected behaviour? Obviously I don't want to have to type both passwords when I unlock but the current behaviour inherently means that my subscription master password is stored somewhere in my local vault. What happens if you have more than one local vault? (or more than one subscription?)

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

Just keep in mind that 1Password's security doesn't depend on you jumping through these hoops.

Assuming there's a terrible flaw in the implementation of the encryption then "jumping through these hoops" will protect me because my data will never touch the cloud. Following on from that argument an adversary would need to obtain my standalone vault from an air-gapped system before he could exploit the hypothetical flaw.

Security through compartmentalisation is important for some and whilst I'm happy to upload the majority of my passwords via your sync service, I won't upload them all.

Can 1PW7 subscription be installed on an offline computer?

No. You'll need to be connected to the internet to sign into the account.

Maybe I misunderstood your earlier comment @brenty but assuming I had the installer on a USB drive along with my 1Password10.sqlite file are you still saying I'd need to connect the offline computer to the internet?

I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, that all the necessary 'activation' information is contained in the 1Password10.sqlite file.

Can a user who has his .sqlite file and the installer access his vault on a computer which will never touch the internet?

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

Anybody?

Can a user who has his .sqlite file and the installer access his vault on a computer which will never touch the internet?

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@gazu my guess would be no... the activation is likely to require a maintained connection and almost certainly not just in the .sqlite file. Otherwise you could cancel your subscription and continue indefinitely offline.

As I said, that's a total guess but during the Windows 7 beta I even had problems with 1Password crashing if you didn't have an active internet connection (and I did NOT have a subscription... that was using a standalone vault). Obviously that could have just been because it's a beta but working offline is certainly not going to be their focus and I suspect their licensing model will require routine checkin.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have the 1Password 7 beta standalone and have just now added a subscription trial. I've discovered that when I launch 1Password I am still being asked for my local vault password to unlock... but having unlocked I also have access to my subscription vaults (which have a different master password).
    Is this expected behaviour? Obviously I don't want to have to type both passwords when I unlock but the current behaviour inherently means that my subscription master password is stored somewhere in my local vault. What happens if you have more than one local vault? (or more than one subscription?)

@wraith: Indeed, the 1Password app will unlock using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there. If you'd like to setup things differently, make sure you have a backup of all of your data, and then reset the app and set it up first with the vault/account whose Master Password you want to use for unlocking. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Assuming there's a terrible flaw in the implementation of the encryption then "jumping through these hoops" will protect me because my data will never touch the cloud. Following on from that argument an adversary would need to obtain my standalone vault from an air-gapped system before he could exploit the hypothetical flaw.

@gazu: That's a heck of a hypothetical! Fortunately we're not relying on assumptions for 1Password's security: apart from our own efforts, we participate in external audits and cooperate with independent security researchers to find any flaws so we can fix them.

Security through compartmentalisation is important for some and whilst I'm happy to upload the majority of my passwords via your sync service, I won't upload them all.

Gotcha.

Maybe I misunderstood your earlier comment @brenty but assuming I had the installer on a USB drive along with my 1Password10.sqlite file are you still saying I'd need to connect the offline computer to the internet? I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, that all the necessary 'activation' information is contained in the 1Password10.sqlite file. Can a user who has his .sqlite file and the installer access his vault on a computer which will never touch the internet?

Probably not, as it's not something most users want and therefore not something we design for. At the very least, when setting up the app, you'll need to have an active internet connection to sign into your account. After that, any data there will be cached, but you'll need to connect to receive updates and sync any changes. 1Password may work to some extent off of a USB drive, but this is not supported; it will definitely break things like browser integration, and potentially cause other issues since the registry and other Windows settings are used.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty , (also pinging @gazu who I think you meant to reply to in the second post)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wraith: You're welcome. And dang it; you're right. Thank you! <3

• fobistech
    fobistech
    Community Member

I installed 1Password 7 on one of my machines with no issues. Both my private and shared 1Password.com vault were recognized. However, on my other machine, it did not recognize my private (via DropBox) and asked me to sign in to a 1Password.com which I did. However, it did not recognize my private vault and I can't see any way to add it. Further, I went back to 6 and noticed I did not my shared 1Password.com account which I did and then went back to 7 thinking it would pickup the change. It seems I need to remove some settings file to get this working. For now, I am working on 6 and the new vault file format which seems to be compatible with it.

Of course, I would like to get 7 working with both vaults.

• Hi @fobistech,

Thanks for writing in.

Just to clarify, your 1Password account is not going to sync your standalone vaults, they'll have to be sync'ed by your Dropbox client and you have to manually open each standalone vault on each computer, your 1Password app won't know what standalone vault to open.

In addition, make sure both 1Password apps are configured to open the same OPVault file. If you open the old Agile Keychain vault, 1Password 7 will prompt to convert it for you but it does mean your other 1Password apps have to be re-configured to open the new converted OPVault.

First, make sure Dropbox is installed and syncing on both PC and then make sure the same OPVault is visible on both computers before opening them in 1Password 7 via 1Password menu > Open vault on this PC.

• fobistech
    fobistech
    Community Member

OK so I figured out my issue. I went into Preferences/Advanced settings to enable allowing the creation of local vaults. Once that was done I got the Sync panel back in the toolbar and was then able to link the local vault to my existing Dropbox opvault file.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fobistech: It sounds like there may be some confusion then. This is a discussion about the Windows version of 1Password. It sounds like you're using the Mac version. Also, if local vaults were disabled, it's because you setup the app with a 1Password.com account. Is there a reason you're trying to use both a 1Password.com membership and a local vault? It's fine if you want to do that, I just want to make sure that's your intention, as it could cause a lot of confusion since local vaults are completely separate from 1Password.com.

• fobistech
    fobistech
    Community Member

And yes, these are Mac's and notice this thread was about Windows. Sorry for the confusion.

• fobistech
    fobistech
    Community Member

So I am a long time user and believer.... So my initial and primary vault was based on legacy (no password.com) accounts. A couple of years ago, I had one of my clients setup 1 Password for Families and share out a vault to me to support his IT stuff. I agree having both does tend to make things more complicated especially during setup.

On my one machine that upgraded with no problem happened to have both vaults installed but on my other machine only the primary vault so I guess on first launch on that machine 1 Password asked me to login which I did using my shared vault credentials but then of course no sign of my primary vault. I uninstalled and went back to 6, then added my shared vault there and then tried it again but there must be some settings value that had already set the app to only think it was connected to a 1password.com account. Then I found the advanced preference setting which allowed me to pull in my primary vault. Hope that makes sense.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @fobistech,

Thank you for the detailed feedback! :+1: If your 1Password.com account and your local vault have two different Master Passwords, it may get even more confusing.

If you add your 1Password.com account first, you will use the Master Password from that account to unlock 1Password app on your Mac. If you add your local vault first, then connect your 1Password.com account, you will use the Master Password from your local vault to unlock the app.

I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again anytime, we are always here for you. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• rothaar
    rothaar
    Community Member

I have the same situation and use case as gazu describes. I understand that currently 1Password does not currently support this use case. I would appreciate and use it if it did.

As I see it, folks like gazu and myself have 2 options:
    1) Keep using our older standalone licensed versions, if we have them.
    2) Purchase a v7 standalone license. Since we already subscribed, this would be an additional purchase.

Is there an option 3 to enable us to use the product this way? Perhaps a special file that could be updated every few months across the air gap? Perhaps a discount for the standalone license for those who already have a subscription?

Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rothaar,

While it is possible to create a local vault in 1Password 7 for Windows with your 1Password account, you will need an internet connection to sign in to your account from the beginning. Moreover, you will need internet connection, if you want to sync your local vault via Dropbox.

Do you want to create a local vault in the app in addition to your account or do you want to use a local vault completely offline? Please clarify. Thanks in advance! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You will also need an internet connection to use 1Password to login to any websites. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not the case that 1Password magically updates to a new version on its own. You'd need to either install it yourself through the update notification, or install the current version fresh from the website or App Store. That's why a year after version 7 was released we're still hearing from people who didn't even know it existed. I'm sorry for any confusion though, and if you need help with 1Password please start a new discussion and let us know the specifics so we can help you, rather than posting in someone else's discussion from more than a year ago, since that doesn't do justice to anyone's questions or concerns. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.