What's a secret key? First time I've heard of it.

WilliamD322
WilliamD322
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Lounge

The instructions for obtaining your Secret Key are idiotic! "Sign in here to recover your secret key"... but you need your secret key in order to sign in! This must be what hell is like!!

I purchased 1Password in 2015 and have never needed a secret key in the past. What's up AgileBits?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What's a secret key? First time I've heard of it. And the directions from AgileBits are ridiculous!

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

A secret key is used for a 1Password.com account. If you never used one before sounds like you have a stand alone vault and not one synced through a 1Password.com account.

Make sure you are trying to setup the correct account type on the welcome screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WilliamD322: If you're already using a 1Password.com account on any device, you'll be able to unlock it with your Master Password -- without the Secret Key -- and then you'll be able to access it there, just as described on the website:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

However, it sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but do not have one. You only would if you'd signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s also the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Either way, we're here if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.