How do I merge two logins?

cbales
cbales
Community Member

Hi.

Watchtower is complaining that my amazon.ca and my amazon.com password are the same. How do I merge those two logins so 1Password knows that is actually just one account?

I have a similar issue for all my work logins that require my domain password - lots of entries that say username m324523 - my windows domain username at work all have the same password - how do I tell 1Password that those 30 logins on 30 websites are all actually 1 account that gets used on 30 websites, and when the password changes on one of them change it for all.

thanks.

Cameron

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:how do I merge two logins?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @cbales

In the case of two entries for Amazon, they don't necessarily need to be two entries. You can have a single "Amazon" entry that includes both .com and .ca in the website fields.

As for the work login, does your work not use some sort of SSO system? Unfortunately the Amazon solution won't quite work here as having 30 urls listed for a single entry will likely break some things.

• cbales
    cbales
    Community Member

for the Amazon case - what exactly do I do?

for the work case - we have SSO for email and file shares, but there are lots of websites we use that simply use the same password database on the backend, but we login individually. Do you think 10 websites would be possible/ inside the normal use case?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@cbales

Open up 1Password and go to your Amazon entry. Click the edit button and scroll down to the website section. Underneath the first website, there is space for "website 2". In that field you can put either amazon.com or .ca, whatever is not in the first website field. That will associate the login with both entries. Then you can delete the other entry as it is superfluous.

As for work, you could try? No guarantees that it won't potentially break something, though. I've never personally tried associating a login with more than 2 or 3 URLs.

• cbales
    cbales
    Community Member

That's working great. - Merci!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Fantastic! Great to hear it. :)

• ishming
    ishming
    Community Member

So in other words, you can NOT merge two password logins???

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ishming: Nope. Like any two files -- images, videos, mp3s, etc. -- they're separate. You can edit to add the contents of one to another though.

• cblunardi
    cblunardi
    Community Member

Couldn't this procedure be automatized?
    Some UX like: select two logins, open the contextual menu (with the right button on desktops or long press on android...) and then an option to "merge into one" (that can only be enabled if both share the same username/password combination)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cblunardi: But, "merge into one" how exactly? You're kind of hand-waving the part where 1Password has to know what to do with the data. What would you even expect? It sounds like you don't want to end up with two usernames and two passwords. How does 1Password pick the "right" ones? And what about other fields. It's not as simple as you'd like it to be...

• oliva
    oliva
    Community Member

@brenty I disagree and think you're "hand-waving" the request. There are many merge or "diff" tools that provide plenty of examples for how to do this by listing items that appear to be the same side-by-side and permitting selection of one or both. But, even if you don't facilitate this on behalf of users, you need to provide a UI enhancement to make manual merging tolerable. This requires that two entries be visible at the same time. At least on my computer, I don't see how to do that and resorted to opening a browser session next to the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@oliva: Different users have different ideas of what a "merge" option would even do, which is why these kinds of questions don't often get answers, and why the one's we get are not the same from person to person. The only "hand-waving" going on here is glossing over the fact that it's complex (even the best file sync tools, like Dropbox, can generate conflicts, and that's after over a decade), and that you're volunteering someone other than yourself to do the work. It's non-trivial, and would require development, testing, and support that takes into account a large number of differences between platforms, applications, and data types. Since people's data is involved, it's especially sensitive. And, frankly, all of that would mean saying "no" to many other things that a lot more of our customers need, and much more frequently. If we developed this feature, it would likely be used by any given person just once. So while I think it would be nice to have, it's important to be realistic and consider the big picture. :blush:

For what you're talking about though, to have "two entries be visible at the same time", you only need to do two things: open the main 1Password 7 app window, and press ⌘ O (or the toolbar button) to open the selected item in a separate window. I know that's not ideal for this specific use case, but it's something that's already been available for a long time, and it's a lot more versatile than a "merge"-focused feature, even if that might make things easier for people who have created diverging datasets. I'm sorry that I don't have a better solution for you, but this is what we have today, and a lot of people find it useful in a number of situations. Hopefully it helps you as well.

• oliva
    oliva
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your response. I looked for and did not find any way to open an item in another window and the shortcut you provided doesn't work. I use 1password for Mac.

You're describing an automated merge, which is not what I proposed. Sync conflicts are a nightmare, but merge tools exist in all platforms to facilitate user-performed merges.

This link below is a terrible example, but every time you resolve differences to commit code in a repo, you see what is effectively a merge tool... it just seems like this is a common pattern that could be provided. If your data is stored in xml or json, you would just need a formatter to split lines and could use any merge tool.

https://github.com/NickOliva/azure-docs/commit/01990caaf0a6b25ffea8ccde252a364f2d3abf29?diff=split

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're not wrong, but 1Password data is significantly more complex than plaintext GitHub commits, not only because of its data structures, but also because it's all encrypted, and can have potentially many different sources (people, devices). UI is another matter altogether.

You're right that the Open in Separate Window feature is not very obvious, and it's something we're working to rectify in future versions. It's a really cool thing that we need to do a better job of letting people know about. I think it's still not going to be an obvious choice for someone wanting to "merge", and it's not meant to perform this kind of function specifically, but it can be useful for that. Thanks for your feedback on all of this!

• nealm
    nealm
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

The lack of this feature is really really annoying, mainly with regards to multiple URLs for the same login, after importing saved passwords from elsewhere.

When I import my credentials from elsewhere, logins which have multiple URLs get imported as separate logins. I understand this - I mean, how could 1Password possibly know that they are the same account? It can't.

However, in order for me to work through a list of 're-used' passwords, I really should have the option to 'Copy this URL to an existing login, and delete this login'. That's all that's needed to remove the false-positives for this kind of 'reused' password.

As a side note, when I first saw the 'related items' list, I thought (hoped) that by linking the two logins, they would be treated as the 'same' login, and no longer count as re-used. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. What is the purpose behind relating logins together, by the way?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You can always add multiple URLs to your Login items. It's certainly possible we could add some feature like what you're suggesting to automate it, but it's not something we can prioritize currently for something that 1) comes up rarely and 2) in most cases is even then a one-time occurrence (i.e. importing existing data). There are just a lot more things that are more highly requested and/or which would help a greater number of people, so that's what we need to put first. :blush:

Regarding "related", there is no "related logins" feature, but rather a more general "related items" feature that can be used for linking multiple items to each other -- for example, a bank Login, a Credit Card item for the associated card, a Document with a scan of some account details, etc. I hope that helps clarify.

• nealm
    nealm
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Given the length of the thread where this is requested, I'm surprised it's not a priority. Very disappointing.

Do you have a public tool for people to vote on feature requests?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nealm: Please read my previous reply:

it's not something we can prioritize currently for something that 1) comes up rarely and 2) in most cases is even then a one-time occurrence (i.e. importing existing data). There are just a lot more things that are more highly requested and/or which would help a greater number of people, so that's what we need to put first.

I don't really know a better way of putting it. There are threads much, much, much longer than this one, in which there are comments from a total of five customers. The other has about 33.

We don't have voting for features, as that would imply that features for 1Password are decided democratically. Customer feedback is one of the primary factors that decides what will get implemented and what won't, but it isn't the only factor, and so having "votes" would give an unfair assumption. But we'll consider the fact that you'd like to see this as well, along with all of the feedback we get from all of our other customers.

Anyway, I'll close this discussion in favour of the other one so we're not continuing the same conversation in multiple places indefinitely, as that's not helpful to anyone.

This discussion has been closed.