1Password v 6 upgrade

I have 1Password 6 on my iMac, my MacBook Pro, my wife's MacBook Pro and 1Password 6 Pro on our iPads and iPhones.
Would single subscription cover the about setup under family sharing?

Thanks - Tom

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Licence

Comments

• Corey_CCorey_C

Team Member

Hi there @hubbycat

In your situation, I would recommend a 1Password Families membership. That way, both you and your wife could have your own separate accounts where you could each store your own personal passwords as well as have access to the Shared vault where you could put things you want to share between the two of you.

Individual accounts are largely meant for individuals rather than multiple people.

• Thank you Corey_C but that would mean storing our data on your servers if I'm not mistaken. It's something that I'm not thinking about at this stage. Looking at 1Password in Apple Store I see that it offers Family Sharing. Does it mean that If I buy from Apple Store me and my wife would be able to use it?

• Corey_CCorey_C

Team Member
    edited May 29

@hubbycat

Not really. The issue here is that the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 only supports the use of 1Password memberships. If you wish to use standalone licensing, then you will need to use our website version of 1Password, which requires individual licenses.

Is there a reason you are not interested in using a Family membership? Are you concerned about the security of your data?

• Yes, I am. I'm also concerned with lock in. If my licence lapses I understand I'll only have read access to my data where as at the moment I can use my 1Password v 6 in read/write mode. Is there a way I can renew my standalone licence?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Right. With a subscription you always get access to the latest versions of the apps, but if you stop the subscription or it lapses the apps will enter read-only mode. With a license you don’t get any upgrades or multi-platform access, but you do get perpetual access to install and use the version that you purchase the license for.

As for security concerns I’d highly recommend reading this page (and the white paper linked at the bottom). In short, the security of your 1Password data does not rely on where it is stored.

About the 1Password security model

If you do decide you’d rather go the license route you can buy a 1Password 7 for Mac license from within the 1Password 7 for Mac application when you download it from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Hello, I'm in the same situation where I don't want a membership. How much is the v7 license if I buy it stand-alone?

• Corey_CCorey_C

Team Member

@Greg_Smith Pricing for licenses can be found on the announcement blog post for 1Password 7. That post can be found at https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/.

• Hi Corey. Thanks for the quick response. Are we still in the "launch special" timeframe for the reduced price?

• Corey_CCorey_C

Team Member

Yes we are @Greg_Smith.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file