New mini problems with dual displays

Options
mlebarron
mlebarron
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When I have a browser open on my secondary display, mini opens up on my primary one. The old extension used to stay with the window.

Also it doesn't keep it's placement. If I open it on my main display, and move it up near the actual extension icon (where I expect it to show up), then go to the secondary display and open it, it opens in the middle of my primary, and stays there even when going back to the primary and opening it up.

makes more sense visually so let me know if that was confusing and I'll give it another crack, or make a video or something

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• apasternak
    apasternak
    Community Member
    Options

I came into the forum to post about the new mini issue, and this seems like the most appropriate place. Clicking on a matched entry brings the main app window into focus. When sharing your screen via browser, this could expose info I inadvertently had selected in my main app (for that matter, I really wish credit card numbers were masked along with logins unless deliberately exposed, is there another thread for this?). Interacting with mini should never bring the main window to the front.

(using FF 60.0 with 1Password 7
    Version 7.0.BETA-16 (70000016)
    AgileBits Beta)

• chadseld
    Options

Hi mlebarron,

Can you check, do you have System Preferences > Mission Control > "Displays have separate spaces" enabled or disabled?

Also, are you activating the mini in from your browser by clicking the icon in the browser toolbar? or the main system menu? or by a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks for the bug report.

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

"Displays have separate spaces" is enabled

it doesn't matter which way I activate mini, same behavior from browser, system menu bar, or shortcut.

When I have the window on my main display, then activate from the main display, it stays wherever I put it.

When I have the window to the secondary display and activate it from the secondary display, it stays wherever I put it.

When I have the window on either display and activate it from the other one it stays on the other display and always reverts to the same position on that display. Returning to that display and activating it from there leaves it in it's new position

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

disabling "Displays have separate spaces" resolves this btw, just tested it

• rudy
    Options

@mlebarron,

What OS version and 1Password 7 version are you encountering this on?

Rudy

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

10.13.4 (17E202)
    7.0.BETA-16

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

uhhh... well I was experiencing this until I switched the spaces option, logged out/in, switched the spaces option again and logged out/in.

Essentially I'm back to the setup I had when I was duplicating the issue all day, except now it works fine.

soooo... yeah, there's that.

• rudy
    Options

@mlebarron,

oh no, hopefully we find someone else that encounters the same issue then; i just followed your StepsToReproduce and it behaved as intended on my computer with 5 displays :\

Rudy

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

yeah I don't know... weird. if it comes back I'll let you know

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy okay not the same exact issue, but here's one with multi displays.

command-/ to open 1password mini
    command-tab to a window on another display
    command-/ to open 1password mini again
    1password mini opens on original display

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

after more testing... command-tab to another browser window

I've duplicated it by having safari on one display and chrome on another. Also duplicated with multiple chrome windows and switching with command-`

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I also have those issues and I didn't do anything so far to fix that. Is there any info I can provide you with?

My Summary:
    1P version: 7.0.BETA-16
    Browser extension: Firefox 4.7.1.90

Setup:
    MB Pro 13"
    2x external monitor

Mission control options enabled:

• When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application
    • Group windows by application
    • Displays have separate spaces

Does not matter if I click on the toolbar or use the cmd + \ shortcut, the mini window always opens on the MB display no matter where I have the browser window.

I hope that helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional information and feedback on this folks! We'll continue to see if we can track this down. Spaces and Mission Control can be pretty unpredictable in many ways, so we'll need all the help we can get! :lol:

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

I had this happen again yesterday, but there's no way I could give you reproduction steps :) I've plugged/unplugged too many times to say "this caused it"

I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can get it back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you. That makes sense. Never hurts to ask though! Thanks for your patience and willingness to work with us on this. :)

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

it's back! I'll see if I can figure out how to "fix it"... anything specific you want me to do?

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

quit and reopen 1password resolved it.

• Ben
    Options

Huh. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear restarting the app helped.

Ben

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys, just wanted to jump back in into the discussion, since I realised and tested one thing in my setup. The "problem" here was, that I had set to the 1Password app, that it should open always on the "Desktop 1". But for some reason that affects 1Password mini as well, therefore no matter what I do, it is always opening on the "Desktop 1".

When I removed deactivated that, seems that the mini window is opening on a correct one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ondrejfuhrer: Indeed, 1Password is a single app, so if you assign it to a desktop, that's always where it will show up. I'm glad that making that change helped. In case this helps as well, you don't have to have the main 1Password window open to use 1Password mini or fill logins in your browser; it runs in the background to enable that. Cheers! :)

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes, that I know, but I wanted to have the app always on my macbook monitor, so that if I'm showing someone something on the external, the app does not pop out there. But, when I'm authenticating a page, I wanted to have the mini window where I'm authenticating.. I thought those are two separate apps and frankly I even forgot that I have that setting on for the app. If they would be separate, the setting could be different as well.

But makes sense in this was even though it does not fit my needs (well, more precise "wants") :chuffed:

• Ben
    Options

With 1Password 7 everything falls under one app. There are a lot of advantages to this, but this is one downside.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.