To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Duplicated entries after migrating to 1Password 7

mjusten
mjusten
Community Member

I have just installed 1Password 7. For some reason, it connected to an old vault on Dropbox. I didn't find any way to add another vault or to disconnect with this one. First, I've tried to delete 1p 7 and restart all the process, but it was already connected with that same old vauld. Then, the only option was to "merge and sync" with the most recent one, also on Dropbox. I did that and now it is a mess: I have several of duplicated entries (like 300 or more). I sorted the entries by "Reused Passwords" and started deleting one by one. Is there a better way of getting rid of the duplicated ones?

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Duplicated entries

Comments

• Hi @mjusten,

Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items should help. Sorry to hear about the difficulty! Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• mjusten
    mjusten
    Community Member

Thank you, @Ben. But "Clean Up Duplicate Items" is not available for me here. Am I missing something?

• jbentin
    jbentin
    Community Member

This tool will only work in 1P for Mac but not on IOS (iPhone and iPad)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jbentin: That's correct. This is a new feature in 1Password for Mac version 7.

@mjusten: You'll need to select a vault first. It won't work in All Vaults because similar items in separate vaults are often there for a reason (e.g. sharing).

• jbentin
    jbentin
    Community Member

I ended with 2 vaults and solved problem eliminating one of them. No more duplicates.

• mjusten
    mjusten
    Community Member

Great, thank you very much! Everything fine now!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

On behalf of Brenty and Ben, you are very welcome. Glad to hear everything worked out. :)

-Corey

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

is this tool available for v6 also? (I have the same problem of duplicated entries). thx.

• @stevenj,

The Clean Up Duplicate Items tool is new in v7. The first thing I’d recommend checking is whether you have multiple vaults with the same contents.

Ben

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

Ben,
    Thx, I actually have only one vault with duplicate entries, so I manually deleted them. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, I put on a stupid movie on Netflix and just did it. Actually, it seems most of the movies are pretty stupid these days....

• I can’t argue with you there. Thanks for the update.

Ben

• ChazMacs
    ChazMacs
    Community Member

I moved from the App store version 6 to purchasing and creating an account, but when I set up version 7 I wanted to continue using Dropbox to sync. For whatever reason, now everything in my vault is duplicated. The Clean Up Duplicate Items tool is grayed out, and not usable. Do you have suggestions? This is making me crazy! Along with the changes to the Mini interface, and problems with the extension in 7.0.2 (corrected in 7.0.3) I'm not feeling the love I've had since version 1.

• Hi @ChazMacs

I'm sorry you're not feeling the love right at the moment. Hopefully we can get that fixed up in short order. Do you have multiple vaults? You can tell by looking in the upper left hand corner of the main 1Password window:

You can see I have "a few." ;)

Ben

• ChazMacs
    ChazMacs
    Community Member

I just discovered that there was a Personal vault with my name attached, and a Primary vault, which synced with Dropbox. I decided to delete the Primary, and will use your cloud to sync with. This solved the issue. It would have been great to have had some kind of info regarding this before I got into it, but that's asking a lot.

• Thanks @ChazMacs. For what it's worth we do have a guide on migrating here, and it does recommend deleting the Primary vault:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@branlaw: The person I was talking to has a "Personal" vault.

If you have a "Private" vault that's fine. I'm glad to hear that you were able to sort out the duplicates. Is there something I can help you with?

• BluesBrother1980
    BluesBrother1980
    Community Member

I ran into this problem with "duplicate vaults", too, when migrating from v6 to v7 on my Mac in preparation for Mojave. I wound up with "duplicate entries" (all of them) and most passwords showing as "reused" (I guess because of the duplicate entries). I find that v7 is substantially "different" than prior versions. I wish that I would have read about v7 first, and migration from v6 to v7 in particular, before I installed v7. there have been quite a few "surprises" along the way...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BluesBrother1980 - 1Password 7 for Mac does indeed include a number of differences from previous versions, as full-version upgrades often do. Are you still having troubles with duplicated entries? When you click Preferences > Vaults, what do you see? What is the number and names of the vaults you see there?

• BluesBrother1980
    BluesBrother1980
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

The All Vaults dropdown shows 2 vaults: 1) (my name) -> Personal (567 entries), and 2) On iCloud -> Primary (522 entries). So apparently they're not "exact" duplicates (since the number of entries is different).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BluesBrother1980: Unless you got an error when importing, they'll be the same. You're just getting hung up on the number because 1Password.com accounts use Documents, which are separate items, for files, while local vaults had these as attachments to other items.

• BluesBrother1980
    BluesBrother1980
    Community Member

OK. So I can delete one of the vaults, then?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BluesBrother1980: I'd recommend that, yes. That's why 1Password prompts to remove the old vault after migration. If your intention is to use the 1Password.com membership and its Personal vault going forward, you can remove the Primary vault as described in the migration guide:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ljrkrispes
    ljrkrispes
    Community Member

So I have duplicates as well....I have a Vault 1Password 6 and a vault 1Password Account (Linda Rice). Is that 2 vaults and which one should I remove?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ljrkrispes: If you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account, you can remove the old vault. You can check by signing into the website:

https://start.1password.com

The Primary (local) vault will not be associated with your account. Let me know if you have all of your data in the vault in your account.

• ljrkrispes
    ljrkrispes
    Community Member

I have a Vault 1Password 6 and a vault 1Password Account (Linda Rice). There is no vault called Primary. Which one is my primary vault and how do I tell if I have all the data in my account? No duplicates on my Apple phone which only has one vault--Primary.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ljrkrispes - there is ALWAYS a vault called "Primary" if you're using 1Password in standalone mode, as that is the default vault, just as it is on your iPhone. Can you please look in 1Password for Mac at Preferences > Vaults and let me know what you see there? How many vaults do you see there, and what are their names? Thanks.

• ljrkrispes
    ljrkrispes
    Community Member

So I have duplicates as well....I have a Vault 1Password 6 and a vault 1Password Account (Linda Rice). Is that 2 vaults and which one should I remove?

• ljrkrispes
    ljrkrispes
    Community Member

Lars...after relooking at my account, I have 2 ACCOUNTs named `1Password 6 and 1Password Account (Linda Rice) . I have one vault Personal.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ljrkrispes - OK, thanks. Switch to the Personal vault (so you're viewing only that data). Is the data in that vault what you would consider complete and up-to-date? Is there any data missing, or any data in the other vault that's NOT in this one? If it seems complete to you, you can remove the other vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

This discussion has been closed.