Duplicate Passwords, Recovery email and Attachments

mattjn
mattjn
Community Member
edited May 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I use the password generator in the browser extension to generate password when registering for websites. The annoying thing is these are automatically saved as passwords in the vault but they are already saved as part of the logins so they pop up as duplicate Passwords and I have to manually delete the saved passwords. Is there a way to stop the generated password from being saved separately or at least solve the duplicate issue?

Another issue is when some website has a recovery email and 1password saves this email as the user name instead of the user name which is not an email address I entered in the web form and when I correct this, the web form detail field changes the recovery email to the user name and I have to put the recovery email in the note field to save it. Is there a way to keep the recovery email in web form without having to resort to note?

Can you attach files to the logins in the vault? I have a 1password personal account but I don't see any field to attach files.

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @mattjn,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! :+1:

I use the password generator in the browser extension to generate password when registering for websites. The annoying thing is these are automatically saved as passwords in the vault but they are already saved as part of the logins so they pop up as duplicate Passwords and I have to manually delete the saved passwords. Is there a way to stop the generated password from being saved separately or at least solve the duplicate issue?

When you use a password generator in 1Password in order to generate a new password, it is saved as an item in the Passwords category of your vault. This acts as a safety net. If your Login item is not saved in 1Password, you will be able to find your generated password there. After that, when you select All Items view in 1Password, you will see those password items alongside your Login items. If you want to avoid it, please select Logins category and you will see your Login items only.

We are planning to improve this behaviour in the future, so please stay tuned for future updates.

Another issue is when some website has a recovery email and 1password saves this email as the user name instead of the user name which is not an email address I entered in the web form and when I correct this, the web form detail field changes the recovery email to the user name and I have to put the recovery email in the note field to save it. Is there a way to keep the recovery email in web form without having to resort to note?

If you save your Login for such website manually, does the issue with recovery email remain? It will be really helpful, if you share an example of such website, so we could test it on our side. Thanks!

Can you attach files to the logins in the vault? I have a 1password personal account but I don't see any field to attach files.

We do not have attachments in 1Password accounts. Instead, we have a new category for your important files and we call it "Documents". You can upload your documents into that category and then link to the document from the related item:

The document will be shown in the item view in "Related items". Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mattjn
    mattjn
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I understand the necessity for the safety net. My main problem is that those show up in the duplicate passwords of the security section. If I do not clean those passwords up, I may miss the real duplicate passwords, which is not ideal.

I encounter the recovery email issue during the protonmail registration. Maybe I'll try manual save next time. I didn't know about the related items feature. Thanks for the tip.

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi @mattjn,

To expand on what Greg meant by future improvements, 1Password on Windows will gain the feature where if you generate a new password and a new Login item came up later that has the same password and website, 1Password will remove the redundant Password item. This is available on macOS already but we haven't implemented this yet on Windows.

We will also provide a cleanup tool in a future update to run a check across all items you have as well since the first improvement would not work retroactively. Both improvements will help make the Duplicate Passwords feature more useful.

ref: OPW-1051

• bubbaslopchop
    bubbaslopchop
    Community Member

Count me in as someone longing for this feature. Seems there is no way to change your passwords directly in the browser without ending up with duplicates (and 1password clean up redundant doesn't work properly for me in the app). And when you have trouble with a site for whatever reason and need to try generating passwords multiple times you will end up with a tone of duplicates. It really seems like a flaw in the workflow and long for it to be addressed. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bubbaslopchop: Please see my reply to you in the other thread and avoid posting the same thing in multiple places, as that generates notifications for everyone involved and slows down response times for everyone -- including you.

This discussion has been closed.