Trying to upgrade from standalone to account

ttrapanittrapani
edited June 1 in Purchasing

I've used the stand alone version so I don't have an account. I purchased the annual membership via apple and received confirmation. When I try to load the new software I keep getting asked to select a purchase option (I already purchased one!). I contacted support and was told to re-download the software and then log-in as an existing user.

How and I supposed to do that when I never had an account to begin with?

This has been going back and forth for days now. I just want this work, but am about 1/2 step away to contacting apple and canceling everything.

If there was something I did wrong please let me know. But I simply purchased it and tried to use it. Now I'm in some kind of loop I can't get out of. It shouldn't be this hard!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @ttrapani

I’d be happy to help you with that. My understanding of your situation is:

1. You were using 1Password 6 for Mac as a standalone product (no membership)
    2. You signed up for a membership, but did not sign into this membership before installing 1Password 7 for Mac
    3. Once you installed 1Password 7 for Mac it is prompting you to sign up for a membership or purchase a license because it doesn’t know anything about the membership you signed up for

If that is correct we’ve fixed this situation in 1Password v7.0.2. There is a link to sign into a membership on the welcome screen now. I’m sorry about this oversight on our part, and that wasn’t in the initial release, but it should be fixed via an update soon. In the mean time you can resolve this, but it does unfortunately require a couple of steps.

1. Uninstall 1Password 7 (drag to trash, empty trash, restart Mac)
    2. Reinstall 1Password 6 (here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4 )
    3. Open 1Password 6 and add your membership there
    4. Uninstall 1Password 6 (drag to trash, empty trash, restart Mac)
    5. Install 1Password 7

I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Ben

• @Ben I completed steps 1-2 but am stuck on 3. I don't have a membership to add. When I click to add membership it takes me to the website and asks what purchase option I want. Don't know how to proceed. How do I add a membership I've already paid for (through Apple) without an account from 1Password?

What do I need to do next?

• @Ben I also checked my iPhone version. It's fully functioning, synced through iCloud - but with no account information show.

• This is the 5th support request I'm trying. I've not gotten a single working solution from the previous attempts.

Here is where I'm at:

• I first purchased 1Password way back in 2011.
    • I've been using it in the local stand alone mode
    • I sync with the iPhone version via iCloud
    • I do NOT have nor have ever had a 1Password account
    • I finally decided to upgrade to the subscription model and made the purchase through the Apple store
    • I receive verification of my payment
    • However - 1Password refuses to work. It only gives me options to sign-up and purchase again OR log-on with an existing 1Password account. It's an endless loop. I've already paid - but I don't have login.
    • I've been told to remove 7, reload 6 and add my account and then reload 7...but how am I supposed to add an account that I don't have? So I'm stuck half way through the given solution. Do I have buy this from BOTH Apple and AgileBits?

I have no idea what I did wrong. I've worked in IT for over 20years. This is by far has been the most frustrating installation (and I'm saying that in hope I can eventually get this installed and working) I've ever encountered.

Come on. I love the product. I paid the money. All I want is for this product to run.

• I've tried 6 times now to get an answer. I still do no have a working product.

• I first purchased 1Password way back in 2011 and have been using it in the local stand alone mode
      • I do NOT have nor have ever had a 1Password account
      • I finally decided to upgrade to the subscription model and made the purchase through the Apple store (NOT on an iOS device)
      • I receive verification of my payment from Apple
      • However - 1Password refuses to work. It only gives me options to sign-up and purchase again OR log-on with an existing 1Password account. It's an endless loop. I've already paid - but I don't have login.

So far support has told me to
    1. Reload 6 and then enter in my account - BUT I DON'T HAVE A 1 PASSWORD ACCOUNT
    2. (or) Download the latest version of 7 and click on already have an account - BUT I DON'T HAVE A 1 PASSWORD ACCOUNT
    3. (or) I was just told by support that I couldn't have bought a subscription through the Apple Store and that every purchase would automatically give me a 1Password account - BUT I HAVE THE CONFIRMATION OF PURCHASE FROM APPLE AND I STILL DON'T HAVE A 1PASSWORD ACCOUNT.

Even If I just wanted to create a 1Password account the only way to to purchase - what I've ALREADY purchased through the Apple Store.

It's going on a week and I still don't have software that works.

Come on people. I love the software. I paid my money. I just want it to work

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@ttrapani: I've merged your post with another discussion you've started, so we can hopefully avoid further confusion while trying to assist you. Unfortunately when you post messages in multiple places it makes it very difficult to get a good sense of the problem you're having and help you find a solution. For example, I still don't even know which version of 1Password you're using. It also slows down the support process for you and everyone else, as we try to cross reference everything. Since I see that you've also been in contact with us via email, we'll continue the conversation there to avoid further confusion.

However, I wanted to address a few things in case it helps you or anyone else:

I do NOT have nor have ever had a 1Password account
    I finally decided to upgrade to the subscription model and made the purchase through the Apple store (NOT on an iOS device)

Both of these things cannot be true. If you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership subscription, you'll have an account. That's what you use to sign into the app on each device to access your data:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

So unless you did not sign up for a subscription like you say you did, you do have an account.

I receive verification of my payment from Apple • However - 1Password refuses to work. It only gives me options to sign-up and purchase again OR log-on with an existing 1Password account. It's an endless loop. I've already paid - but I don't have login.

You do. When you signed up for the subscription, you setup a Master Password for your new account and your Secret Key was also created. Those, along with your email and sign in address, are what you use to login. I can't give you all of those because we won't have them, but I can guide you through doing that yourself. I'll close this discussion and reply via email shortly to help you get sorted. :)

ref: RKA-29756-327

This discussion has been closed.