Old version of 1Password won't open [legacy 32-bit apps cannot run on iOS 11 or 12]

12345679»

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bgdady Thanks for the clarification. I don't mean to be picky, but there is no iPhone 7S. Can you tell us what version of iPhone you're using, and more importantly, which of the versions of 1Password for iOS from the chart I gave a link to seems most like the icon you see on your iPhone's home screen? Thanks.

• bgdady
    bgdady
    Community Member

7plus and A or B from the chart

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bgdady Thanks. That means you're using 1Password 3 for iOS, which is the reason you're getting those messages. I'm going to move this thread into 1Password for iOS, if you don't mind, since it's not really concerning 1password.com memberships. Please have a look at the first post in this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82810/if-you-have-an-old-version-of-1password-that-wont-open-legacy-32-bit-apps-cannot-run-on-ios-11 and follow those instructions. Let us know if you have any questions.

• hollyt2018
    hollyt2018
    Community Member

HI, I wonder if anyone can help please. I updated my iphone to ios 11 a couple of days ago without realising 1password wouldn't work. How do I get access to my old passwords as many I do not have written elsewhere. Can someone help me please?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @hollyt2018! Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting updated to a current version of 1Password for iOS. If you'll take a moment to read the first post in this thread it contains the only solution possible for this issue. You'll need to be able to meet all the requirements there. If you do, the steps are tried-and-true. Let us know how that goes for you!

• CharmaineS
    CharmaineS
    Community Member

Hi, I'm in the same predicament - updated to iOS 11 and the app doesn't run anymore. I'm have the "A" 1Password 3.7.2 and I never saw the retirement announcement before. The app had a tendency to crash a lot before but I did not get the upgrade notification. I don't know if I know the Master Password but I can try guessing. My question is where can I try my Master Password?

Alternatively, can I try restoring my iCloud backup to an older phone that ran on iOS 9 or 10 to see the app again?

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CharmaineS: It may be possible to restore to another device running iOS 9 or 10, but I wouldn't waste time on that unless you've exhausted all other options, as iCloud backup/restore is not always reliable. It could be a lot of trouble for nothing. The best thing to do would be to review the requirements in the first post in this announcement and, provided you meet all of them, follow the instructions there to attempt to recover your data. That's the best option if you've already upgraded to iOS 11. It's worked for many people already.

• Confuseduser
    Confuseduser
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Hi, I need help. I purchased full version of 1password long long time ago when I was still using my Iphone 4. Last year I bought Iphone SE and I installed the new version of 1password. Now I’m using Iphone 8 and I cannot log in. I used only using my master password to log in or using finger print. Now I need to fill in the sign in adress and secret key, which I’m confused since I’ve never had it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Confuseduser: It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Where do you have your data?

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

You all might want to update this to reflect the current status quo. I have been using an original iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) as a desk clock, and use 1Password to login to the few things that I need to authenticate to. Yesterday, I enabled 2FA with my 1pw account, and I am unable to update to the latest 1Password app, and therefore 1Password no longer works for me on that device.

I realize this use case is obscure, and doesn't affect my 99.99% of my workflow. I'm not even sure if it would be possible to put out an app update for the older 32 bit iOS devices these days.

• Hi @alanhoyle

Thanks for taking the time to write to us about your use case. I do a similar thing with one of my older iPads, though I don't generally run any apps on it besides the desk clock app.

I'm not even sure if it would be possible to put out an app update for the older 32 bit iOS devices these days.

I don't believe that would be practical, if even possible, at this point. In December of 2018 it was reported that iOS 12’s adoption rate was about 72%. I imagine it is even higher now. Folks still running old versions of iOS are in a very small minority, and the number of 1Password customers among those would be a fraction of that. iOS 9 is not even supported by Apple themselves anymore. I understand this is not the answer you were hoping for, and I'm sorry to not have more encouraging news, but I can't see us justifying undertaking support for such old technology using what are already limited development resources.

I hope that makes sense.

Ben

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

I get it, it just might be worth warning folks that enabling 2FA will disable 1Password on 32-bit/legacy devices, either here on the forum or on the 2FA setup page. I really only use 1Password there to login to sync my calendars and (rarely) to control smart home lights. It was a bit more convenient than having to type the complex passwords, but, again, this is a 1/10,000 case, even for my personal use of 1Password.

• Thanks @alanhoyle. We do note this on our system requirements page:

System requirements for 1Password

Ben

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

Is there a way to keep track of what versions of 1Password apps have been connected to the cloud account, and maybe a device ID? If that was the case, it could give a warning about it. e.g.

If you enable 2FA, you will lose access from your device(s) running 1Password 6.x or older:  
         Ben's iPad Mini
         Ben's iPhone from the Bronze age

No big deal for me, but might be problematic for some other user.

• Ben's iPhone from the Bronze age

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. 😁

No big deal for me, but might be problematic for some other user.

It's certainly a thought. I'll pass the suggestion along to our development team for further consideration. :+1:

Ben

• @SamKay

I've responded to your questions here. Please do not post the same question in multiple places, or make off-topic comments in other threads. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.