FEATURE REQUEST: inject 1Password StandAlone license into vaults for simple activation/reactivation.

Options
weblacky
weblacky
Community Member

Hi,
Along with my previous post about using the new 1Password v7 license files, I think you should do away with them entirely. Instead you should provide a file or entry that (when stored in a vault) allows 1Password to get your active license. This would allow very easy migration of 1Password versions and upgrades, the software seeks out the license in the vault first (before asking you for it) and then updates it when you buy a new entitlement. For those of us with a single vault, this would means you need to be able to put in a Mobile (Android and IOS), MacOS, and Windows activations inside the same vault. I'd be down for it. As long as I can add the licenses if I need to recreate the vault (files I place in the 1Password folder that encrypt with my master password).

This would mean a vault entitles you to a version of 1Password...not the other way around.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member
    Options

I like this idea.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@weblacky: It isn't possible on Android or iOS, as there are no licenses there; the purchase is tied to your Google Account or Apple ID respectively. But this is exactly what we do with 1Password for Mac, and perhaps we can find a way to do this on Windows as well. :)

• Ben
    Options

Yep -- just spoke with development about this one. If you have added a 1Password for Mac license that should be added as a Software License item to your Primary vault. If you sync that vault with another Mac that 2nd Mac should pick that up and license 1Password. If it doesn't that would seemingly be a bug. Please let us know.

Ben

• weblacky
    weblacky
    Community Member
    Options

Can you tell you that currently doesn't happen (I've had to manually activate 3 macs in total so far with the license file) however I named the entry I made: "1Password for MacOS". And placed a 7 in the version field. I can't name the entry "1Password". Because then I'd not clearly see which key is for windows and which for MacOS. So can you provide the entry details I have to match to get this auto-activation on MacOS?

Also the activations have been a real pain in MacOS (I haven't done all my windows yet to know if the same issue exists on Windows clients). I have to run the license file during the sign in pop-up (first screen). Then it auto detects the vault but wrong (uses system folder instead of Dropbox). Then the vault info is wrong (default save to vault is blank). So I then have to go to "troubleshooting" and "reset all data". This preserves my activation and changes the start screen to kindly ask me if I then have an existing vault and what I have. I can then click Dropbox and it works correctly! Figured this out my second MacOS activation. I can't specify a Dropbox vault without the reset. Options are either grayed or not available to change the vault after license activation in the Sync or vault prefs.

I don't really understand why the setup screen doesn't appear after the license activation at the sign up screen. But doing that instead would be smoother for me.

I am purposely changing my vault from system folder to Dropbox because upon setup testing the Dropbox sync doesn't function if I don't say Dropbox. If I leave my clients at system folder. Syncing doesn't works, selecting the Dropbox option on all clients has correctly worked so far.

• rudy
    edited June 2018
    Options

@weblackey,

1Password is unlocked and you drop/pick/double click the license file? It should create a 1Password entry in the software licenses category and add that license file as an attachment to the item?

It also puts the license into iCloud keychain, so if you've got iCloud keychain setup on those machines, it will end up there as well.

Rudy

• weblacky
    weblacky
    Community Member
    Options

Why would I do that after 1Password is unlocked and setup? I guess I'll see about trying it.

The only way I've gotten 1password for Mac to set up correctly the first time is by staying at the initial screen, double clicking the license file, resetting all data, then opening the program again, then specifying the Dropbox option and then unlocking. Every other way I get no synchronization (locked into system folder option) with blanks "save to" vault or I don't see all the items from the vault, I see a subset of them left over on the system from the old 1Password client back up or something. But if you're saying that trying to re-activate the license automatically adds the entry, I'll have to see if that actually works. But I wouldn't count that as being intuitive because why would someone click the activation file again after they have things working?

My current entries were made immediately following my purchase of the software because I had all the purchasing order details, final cost, and support information. If I use the license autoinsertion it doesn't provide me that info for me. So in reality since I don't see way to merge two entries with different fields and I had to choose one over the other. So I did have a 1Password for Mac entry auto input when I did my first set up but I had to delete it because it was missing all the information I just spent 10 minutes typing in plus for some reason I couldn't change the title and it didn't have the OS is part of the title. So I couldn't distinguish it from my other licenses.

• weblacky
    weblacky
    Community Member
    Options

Also I purposely mangled the setup for my iCloud Keychain account using instructions from Apple customer service. So it is permanently "unsetup" and cannot be used, on purpose. Unless I setup the keychain again. When we upgraded to High Sierra I found that the OS automatically started placing full email account details and browser passwords into the keychain without any sort of notification or permission (even if keychain was fully disabled in iCloud preferences on OSX prior to upgrade). I then found on new OS installations that Apple was purposely setting up email accounts in Mail using my full details including passwords automatically without consent. The only way to stop macOS from doing this is to ruin your keychain account and leave it on unsetup mode after a full data reset of the keychain. So I purposely have my keychain on in iCloud disabled.

I've only had to call Apple customer support three times in my life, and this was one of them. They basically claimed that while it was no big deal they couldn't confirm or deny that high Sierra was doing this. But I can confirm with four installations that any prior iCloud account plugged into the machine and working even with keychain disabled would automatically be re-enabled and uploaded during the set up of High Sierra. And then subsequently all future setup's would automatically bring down username and password and email accounts and start bringing in email immediately upon set up without user consent. I'd strongly urge you not to recommend iCloud keychain to your users for the above reason.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@weblacky: Keychain is part of the OS, and, if you're using Mail, that's where account credentials are stored. Otherwise you'd need to enter them every session. There are alternative email clients though, but often they do the same since that's the most secure way to store things like this on a Mac (or iOS device). It's certainly your prerogative if you want to mess with that -- it's your machine! -- but it does mean you give up some conveniences. It's all about choices.

What Rudy is saying is that by design and on all of the Macs we've tested on, the license is automatically saved when you apply it the first time. His suggestion was that you try it again to see if you're able to add it since that didn't work on your Mac the first time for some reason. No one is suggesting that everyone should do that. We're trying to troubleshoot your specific issue. Also,

I did have a 1Password for Mac entry auto input when I did my first set up but I had to delete it because it was missing all the information I just spent 10 minutes typing in plus for some reason I couldn't change the title and it didn't have the OS is part of the title.

Maybe this tells us something. Possibly related to your other post. We just haven't had other reports of people missing data or not being able to make changes to it. Rather than trying to have a discussion in multiple places, let's continue there.

This discussion has been closed.