Keyboard shortcut adding global hook incorrectly. [Current behavior is intentional]

mofirouz
mofirouz
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

There is a bug in the last two (Beta7 and Beta8, not sure about earlier versions) of 1Password 7. It is related to the Keyboard Shortcuts setup in the Preferences, specifically the "Fill Login on current web page."

The shortcut is activated irrespective of which window is active and hijacks the keyboard input. I've setup "cmd+/" as my shortcut to fill in the current webpage, and "cmd+shift+/" as Show 1Password Mini. Activating either of these keyboard shortcuts, will display the 1Password Mini window, irrespective of what active application is in focus.

This means, that it hijacks the keyboard shortcut. And in my line of work (as a programmer), it hijacks my comment-out-code shortcut, which is... annoying! I've changed the keyboard shortcut as a workaround but this is definitely a bug that didn't exist in 1Password 6.

1Password Version: 7.0-Beta8
Extension Version: Safari 1Password7-Beta8
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Family

[Note from 1Password team: this Mac Beta discussion is now closed and related conversation currently continues in Ignore specific (or all) apps in the new 1Password?]

Comments

• craigy
    craigy
    Community Member

I am also experiencing this issue - took me a while to figure out why my sidebar shortcut in PhpStorm (cmd+) wasn't working.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mofirouz! This is not actually a bug, it's by design. We no longer unregister those keyboard shortcuts for invoking the 1Password mini's main features, because we're allowing invoking everywhere now, which means we need to keep it active. In short, you'll need to either find a new key combo for 1Password, or for other applications you use that have the same shortcuts (whichever you prefer).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@craigy - can you clarify for me? What specific keyboard shortcut isn't working? If you're using either ⌘\ or ⌥⌘\ in PhpStorm, those won't work any longer if you have 1Password 7 for Mac installed. But ⌘+ shouldn't be affected.

• mofirouz
    mofirouz
    Community Member

@Lars Sure thanks for the heads up. I suggest that the team removes either options if they both do the same thing, as that's the cause of confusion?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mofirouz - OK, now you've confused me. ⌘\ and ⌥⌘\ are not the same thing. We've actually got a published list of keyboard shortcuts in 1Password, which you're welcome to use as a guide...but the traditional ⌘\ should be filling in data on the current webpage, while ⌥⌘\ should open the 1Password mini from anywhere, but not fill or submit any particular data. Are you seeing something else?

• mofirouz
    mofirouz
    Community Member

@Lars Basically there is a change in behaviour from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7.

1. The behaviour of ⌥⌘\ is correct.
    2. However the behaviour of ⌘\ has changed. On a browser window, it either fills the fields, or opens the 1Password Mini window if there are multiple choices (which is correct). However, on a non-browser window, it just opens the 1Password Mini window which is both useless (at least to me), globally hooked up which steals keyboard input from underlying application (annoying) and renders ⌥⌘\ kinda pointless.

My suggestion - either go back to the behaviour in 1Password 6, or remove the option for ⌥⌘\ completely as it is already achievable by ⌘\

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mofirouz - Ah, OK, I get your point now. I'll certainly run this past the developers, but because the vast majority of the time, a user will be using this function within the context of a browser window where the two are most definitely not the same, I'm not sure how much momentum there will be for removing one of the most-popular, hard-wired keyboard shortcuts in 1Password for Mac.

• mofirouz
    mofirouz
    Community Member

@Lars To be honest, I actually prefer the two separate shortcuts, but reverted back to the functionality of 1Password 6. Thanks a lot for listening and the prompt replies.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mofirouz - OK, thanks for the feedback and for helping us test 1Password 7 for Mac.

• craigy
    craigy
    Community Member

@Lars Sorry for not replying sooner! I have ⌘\ mapped to toggle my sidebar in PhpStorm, after installing 1Password 7 this no longer functioned. I've now changed the keyboard shortcut in 1Password :)

• :+1: :)

Ben

• cwhenderson
    cwhenderson
    Community Member

@Lars, I have to agree with @mofirouz in that, outside of the context of a browser window, the ⌘\ shortcut is not really useful. I'm in a similar situation (as a programmer) where ⌘\ being a newly-global shortcut has messed up my IDE window workflow. Given that the ⌥⌘\ shortcut is, and always has been, global, and that outside of a browser window, the two do the same thing (just open the mini window), I don't see a reason for ⌘\ to be global. Just my two cents!

• Thanks for the feedback, @cwhenderson. We'll continue to evaluate the options here. At present we are not considering this a bug as it is working the way we designed it to, but certainly if enough people feel strongly that the new behavior is undesirable we may re-evaluate.

Ben

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member

At least give us an option to disable the global ⌘\ shortcut and revert to 1P 6 behaviour.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gdhnz: You can disable the shortcut it by clicking the ( x ) for it in Preferences > General.

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member

I didn't say I didn't want the shortcut, I said I wanted 1P 6 behaviour. If it ain't broke don't "fix" it. There's been another global shortcut for years. We don't need another.

⌘\ for browsers
    ⌥⌘\ for everywhere else globally

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gdhnz - Thanks for weighing in; we're continuing to evaluate what makes most sense for the largest number of users; for the present, it's not changing (immediately), but we appreciate hearing your views on the subject.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Regardless of what application I’m in Cmd-\ triggers the 1P mini window. I can’t find this in System Preferences to switch it off. Never seen a systemwide shortcut that isn’t there. Maybe I just can’t find it c

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

So it's not every application. Oddly it's not in browsers. If I'm in Trello, or IINA, or Quicken, or Calendar, or CrashPlan, or Final Cut Pro, it opens. For most apps it opens with Agilebits highlighted, but apps like Trello it opens with the Trello entry selected.

• @TomWolsky,

I've merged your question into this already existing topic on the subject.

Rudy

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you Rudy. So in browsers the shortcut only functions when I'm on a login page, but nowhere else in the application. In other apps it functions all the time, anywhere, where it really has no function. Would it be possible it make it only function in browser login pages? I never knew about the shortcut and simply clicked on the browser extension button to open the mini window. I only discovered this when it conflicted with a shortcut in a video player. brenty pointed out how to switch it off, but now that I know that it's there I kind of like it, just wished it restricted itself to login pages.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

@TomWolsky,

Its function in non-browser apps is to show you your credentials for that app. You can't fill them, but you can more easily copy & paste. The current behavior is intentional. As for restricting to login pages only... we really have no way of telling what is a login page and what isn't, and many websites now have the ability to login from any page (usually through a hidden element that only appears when you click a link).

Ben

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Interesting. For me 1P seems to be able to tell what a login page is and what isn't. When I'm on a page with no login function, the shortcut doesn't function, no mini window appears. It only seems to appear on a page that asks for credentials.

The shortcut seems to function in applications that have no credential requirements. I understand in Trello, but other applications have nothing for opening the application or any sign in function, which is why I guess the shortcut opens to the Agilebits entry.

The downside for users is of course that in applications where the keyboard is heavily mapped, the 1P shortcut seems to take priority. The only option seems to be to switch it off in 1P or remap a number of other applications where it's there by default or is a logically used shortcut addition based on the default mapping.

Anyway, thanks for your comments Ben.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

If there's nothing to fill, 1Password will still try when you press the keyboard shortcut, but nothing will (apparently — sometimes websites have hidden fields) happens. I'm not sure what the solution is here, or that it's even possible to accommodate everyone, but we're listening to everyone's feedback as we look toward future updates. Thank you for sharing yours! :)

Edit: See Note from 1Password team in first comment

ref: apple-1411

This discussion has been closed.