Upgrading to 7; can't access Primary vault

xiamenese
xiamenese
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years now, on all my computers, my iPhone and my iPad. My "Primary" vault, is the one that has been built up over all those years through all the upgrades. It is stored on Dropbox. A couple of years ago, I converted to a 1Password for Families and set up appropriate personal vaults for myself and my wife and a shared vault. However, neither my Personal vault, nor the Shared vault contain all the data in my Primary vault.

Although 1Password on my 13" MBP and our iMac provided the opportunity to upgrade to v. 7, the upgrade notice never appeared on My 17" MBP (running MacOS 10.13.4, like the 13"), but I found I could download it from your website and install it that way. However, when I opened it, it would only allow me to login to our family vaults, not to my primary vault on Dropbox. This means I don't have access on the 17" MBP to important data held in the Primary vault.

How can I reset 1Password 7 on the 17" MBP so that it accesses the Primary vault?

Thank you.
Mark

1Password Version: 7.02
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @xiamenese

You can re-enable standalone vaults in 1Password 7 by checking the "Local Vaults" option in the Advanced section of 1Password's settings. Although what I'm concerned about is this situation as a whole. All of your data "should" be in your Personal vault. As a 1Password membership user, you shouldn't be using a Primary vault at all. Is there a particular reason why everything isn't in your Personal (or Shared) vault or was it just never moved there?

• xiamenese
    xiamenese
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not using that machine at the moment, but will check next time I boot it up. I had a quick look at the advanced settings, but didn't spot anything that seemed relevant at the time.

As for the Primary vault. I suppose there are three parts to the answer: (1) by having all my data in my primary vault, it is not only on the Dropbox server, but it is also on the HDs of my Macs, and therefore most importantly, is backed up regularly onto external HDs, which means I have a readily accessible vault should everything go pear-shaped and I have a major crash ... it also includes the necessary data for accessing the Family membership, for which I wouldn't otherwise have such a secure repository; (2) my access password to the primary vault is deeply ingrained in (muscle-)memory, the Family account password is not; (3) the other reason all the rest of the data is not in the Family vaults, is that I never got round to copying it all across, as you surmised … I think it was version 5 at the time, and copying data across was not particularly quick, if I remember rightly.

I'll post back again when I'm working with the other machine.

:)

Mark

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@xiamenese - one thing that may be the culprit here is that if your sync keychain in Dropbox is an Agile Keychain, you won't be able to open it in 1Password 7 -- on ANY device. This is where we get into specifics of what you did on your 13" MBP. Since you listed your 1Password version here as 7.0.2, I'm guessing that means you did upgrade that Mac first, before you ran into the manual download issue on the 17" MBP? Or is that not the case?

With 1Password 7, we retired the older Agile Keychain format of sync keychain. If you were using Dropbox to sync, 1Password 7 will only allow you to import it, not actually sync with it. Can I ask: what is the status of things on both Macs right now? What version of 1Password is running, and what's the sync setup? Agile Keychain? OPVault? Nothing? Please look in both your Dropbox folder as well as in Preferences > Sync and let me know. Thanks!

• billtlee
    billtlee
    Community Member

I just had the same experience. I figured I'd try the new version. After I installed and went through the setup, all of my logins disappeared. I can't seem to locate the running local vault option. That was quite a scare! Lucky for time machine I downgraded and now everything is back! I think I will stay on the old version...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @billtlee! I'm sorry for the trouble, and glad to hear you were able to revert to your existing setup.

When you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, did you have more than one local vault? Were you syncing your data via Dropbox? Was they sync keychain an Agile Keychain or an OPVault? What steps specifically did you take, and at what point did things seem to go off the rails, to you? Without a little more information, it's difficult to say what might have gone wrong.

• billtlee
    billtlee
    Community Member

all i did was downloaded the upgrade. When 1password started, it told me it couldn't work with chrome or something like that, then i restarted 1password. it asked me to select my vault. i selected my master vault. it then went through a few steps asking me to log in to 1 password. once i completed the steps, i didn't see any of my data. i panicked, then I checked on my iPad and iPhone as saw that all the data was still there. Then I went and did searches on the internet and found this post, tried to look for the local vault option, I couldn't. So, I went to time machine and restored the old version. I was afraid the restore would lose my data, luckily it didn't. I am not using dropbox with 1password. I am backing up my data with iclould.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@billtlee - thanks for your reply.

it then went through a few steps asking me to log in to 1 password.

Sounds like you may have chosen to create a 1password.com account, which you didn't previously have. Could that be the case? What steps, specifically, did you take?

If you did create a 1password.com account, that would explain why none of your passwords were there -- because you created a new 1Password Individual account, which by definition has no data in it.

• xiamenese
    xiamenese
    Community Member

Hi Lars. First my my iMac and a day later my 13" MBP notified me of the update to version 7. I updated through that, and on both machines was asked to locate my 1Password vault on Dropbox. I did so, both linked and are now presumably accessing the 1password.opvault that has been created.

Nearly a week later, I booted up the 17" MBP—which was running the final stable version of v. 6 like the other machines—but unlike with the others, I got no notification of the upgrade. I opened the 1Password app and used the menu to check for upgrades and it said I was running the latest version. The next day, I tried again with the same result, so I went to your website and downloaded the installer. It installed but I was unable to open the app until I realised I would have to enter the password for the family vaults, not the password for my primary vault, which works on the other two machines. (Fortunately, I have 1Password on all my devices which includes the information for the family account; without that, I would have been screwed!)

The 13" MBP, on which I'm writing this, has v. 7.0.3, as does the iMac. I think the 17" MBP has 7.0.2 as I did get an upgrade notification for that. I won't be able to check the 17" MBP until next Friday or Saturday.

I have just re-linked my iPhone and iPad without trouble to the new .opvault on Dropbox. There is just the 17" MBP that needs sorting out.

Mark

• @xiamenese If the 1Password app still isn't working on your 17-inch MacBook Pro, to get a better idea of what the issue is, please create a Diagnostics Report from it:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.