Any plans to add Firefox Native Messaging to iPassword 4? [Supported]

tanek
tanek
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I've been wanting to migrate to FireFox for a while, and I began the process today. Progress halted fast, however, because the Firefox addon is incompatible with iPassword 4 and requires the subscription version instead.

I know that you offer the subscription model because it enables travel mode and other benefits like 2FA, but I'm perfectly happy with my onetime-purchase version, as money doesn't grow on trees.
I feel that an important feature like Native Messaging should be made available to iPassword 4 owners, so that people have a choice which model fits their feature list and wallet the best. There are probably third party addons for Firefox out there that has this feature, but that is defeating one of your design principles that you should never have to trust a third party with your password wallet (and trust them to not silently siphon all your logins), something I'd never install.

So in the spirit of your design documents I hereby sincerely request this feature to be added to the Firefox addon.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1803 build 17134.81
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @tanek,

Thank you for reaching out! I've moved your post to our newly created 1Password 4 for Windows topic. I hope you don't mind. :)

Native Messaging is already supported in 1Password 4 for Windows and you should be able to use 1Password extension with 1Password 4. Please do the following in order to enable it:

1) Update to the latest version of 1Password 4, Firefox, and the extension, which all support Native Messaging:
    2) Close Firefox.
    3) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Advanced and make sure that you have Native Messaging enabled there.
    4) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Restart 1Password Helper.
    5) Launch Firefox and let me know if it works for you after that.

Additionally, please check if you have 1Password 6 or 1Password 7 installed on your PC. If you are planning to use 1Password 4, you should uninstall them:

1) On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2) Select System > Apps & features.
    3) Find 1Password 6/7 there and then select Uninstall.

1Password extension should connect to 1Password 4 after that. Please note that 1Password 7 for Windows supports standalone licenses and local vaults as well as 1Password accounts, but it is a paid upgrade for the current license owners.

Cheers,
    Greg

• tanek
    tanek
    Community Member

Awwwww YUSH! That was spot on! Thanks! :)

• tanek
    tanek
    Community Member

I might upgrade soon, depending how long you'll have the introductionary discount... Thanks for the tip!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tanek,

You are very welcome! :+1: :chuffed:

I believe that 1Password account is the best way to use 1Password right now. It is a great way to get 1Password for all your devices and spread the update costs out across monthly payments to make sure you stay up to date. You can learn more about other benefits here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Let us know if you have any other questions, we will be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.