How can I restore 1password Chrome extension data from backups after Windows 10 reset

Options
CarloCuneo
CarloCuneo
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I had to do a Windows 10 reset. So I have all my data but no apps. I reinstalled the Chrome browser extension. How can I get back all my passwords from my backup files?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 7.0.558
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:how to restore 1password chrome extension

Comments

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member
    Options

Additional FYI. I purchased a single license for 1password 4 for Windows in 2015. (not a subscription). I don't know if I would have any of the original installation download.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CarloCuneo,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry to hear about your reset situation.

If you have access to your vault files, you can try to open them directly in 1Password 7 for Windows. Please note that if you open an .agilekeychain vault in 1Password 7 for Windows, your vault is automatically converted to .opvault file in the same directory.

However, if you have backup files from 1Password 4 for Windows (.agilekeychain_zip or .opvault_zip), please try to download 1Password 4 for Windows and restore a backup there.

Let me know how it goes. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Greg.

I tried downloading the 1Password 4 and installed and it worked! Used my last backup and got all my passwords back.

If that's where it stops, I'll be very happy. Wondering though - I used to use the Chrome extension (I don't think I actually ever installed the software standalone as it is now). It was super-convenient. When I try to download the Chrome extension, it appears to be a much newer version and I cannot see how to sync that with my new software. Is it possible to do so?

Thank you again!!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CarloCuneo,

You are very welcome! :chuffed:

It sounds like you have two versions of 1Password for Windows installed at the moment, 1Password 4 and 1Password 6/7. If you are not planning to use 1Password 4, please uninstall 1Password 6/7. Here is how:

1) On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2) Select System > Apps & features.
    3) Find 1Password 6/7 there and then select Uninstall.

1Password extension should connect to 1Password 4 after that. Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member
    Options

That did it! Your support is fantastic!! (Ask for a raise).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CarloCuneo: Great news! :chuffed: I am glad to hear that I was able to help.

Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime, we are always here for you.

Have a wonderful week!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.