To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Getting rid of second vault with the same data

This discussion was created from comments split from: Duplicated entries after migrating to 1Password 7.

Comments

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

I, too, have duplicated entries. I'm not sure if it's duplicated vaults, although I think so. When I click on vaults, which says I have 2 (why?) it shows my name-clicked, under my name it shows 'Personal"-clicked and under that it shows 'Primary'-clicked. When I unclick either the personal or primary, the duplications go away. I've never set up more than one vault, so I don't know why I have both of them or if I can delete one of them or not.

Also, I'm in a trial for 7. Wondering if it is even worth it for me to upgrade, since I don't need multiple vaults, family or Travel mode. Is there any other benefits I'm missing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@debstr: The "[your name]" thing is not a vault; it's the name of your account for an individual 1Password.com membership. The "Personal" vault is part of that. The "Primary" vault is completely separate. It sounds like you migrated your data from there to the account, but didn't remove the Primary vault afterward, so you now have two vaults — Personal and Primary — with the same data, and viewing All Vaults will show both at once, hence the "duplicates". If you can verify that you have all of your data in your account by signing into the website:

https://my.1password.com/vaults

Then it's safe to remove the Primary by disabling local vaults (in Preferences > Advanced).

Regarding 1Password.com memberships, there are a ton of benefits, but my favourites are:

• Automatic offsite backup for 1Password data — which, for me, is some of my most important stuff
    • Built-in sync, to access 1Password data across all devices seamlessly
    • Item history, to undo changes if a mistake is made
    • All of the apps

For example, even if all of my devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, I just need to sign into my account on a new device to get my 1Password data back. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@brenty, does that mean that my data is somewhere besides my personal computer? If so, I'm livid. I would never have uploaded it to some website somewhere? I refuse to use Dropbox, even.

Do I need to look for other password software that won't take my data off my personal computer?

You said:

"If you can verify that you have all of your data in your account by signing into the website:

https://my.1password.com/vaults"

I tried, but I don't have a secret key to use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@debstr: If you moved your data to a 1Password.com account, then yes, all of that is encrypted locally and stored on the server. That's also the only way you'll have a Secret Key (which is also used to encrypt the data, along with your Master Password) or a sign in address. Where is your data currently?

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@brenty, I honestly don't know where my data is now. I'm hoping it's only on my computer. I've owned various versions of 1Password for years and recently accepted the 1Password 7 trial. Ultimately I would like to buy the purchased version of 1PW7, if that still keeps my data on my own computer. Can I upgrade to 1PW7 and still keep my data on my own computer and not your server?

Sorry if I seem untrusting, but I simply cannot bring myself to trust someone else when servers everywhere are being hacked. I have personally had my data released by others 3 times now, have been in a constant fight because all my personal information, including Social Security number, have been released, had bank accounts emptied and spent months trying to get my money back. As a result, I have to keep my credit records locked for the rest of my life. So, yes, I'm not a trusting person with my financial data, but don't take it personally. 😃

And if I can keep my data only on my computer, how do I get rid of the duplicates? Can I delete one of the vaults? And, if so, which one?

Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I honestly don't know where my data is now. I'm hoping it's only on my computer.

@debstr: There's a fairly straightforward way to check. Open the 1Password app and go to your vault list. If you have a Primary vault there, that's where all of your data is, and you don't have it configured to sync with Dropbox, iCloud, or something else, then that local vault exists only on that device and isn't being sync'd anywhere.

I've owned various versions of 1Password for years and recently accepted the 1Password 7 trial. Ultimately I would like to buy the purchased version of 1PW7, if that still keeps my data on my own computer. Can I upgrade to 1PW7 and still keep my data on my own computer and not your server?

You absolutely can. Licenses are available for version 7, so you can use a local vault and sync (or not) your own data. If you are not signed into an account in the app, you'll see "read only" and be offered the option to purchase. Let me know if you need any help with that.

Sorry if I seem untrusting, but I simply cannot bring myself to trust someone else when servers everywhere are being hacked. I have personally had my data released by others 3 times now, have been in a constant fight because all my personal information, including Social Security number, have been released, had bank accounts emptied and spent months trying to get my money back. As a result, I have to keep my credit records locked for the rest of my life. So, yes, I'm not a trusting person with my financial data, but don't take it personally. 😃

Not at all! That really sounds like a nightmare. I've been lucky so far — at least, as far as I know. And you're certainly not the only one. Things like that should happen to no one ever, and to say that it's "unfortunate" that they do is an egregious understatement. I just don't have words to express it better — especially not here in a family-friendy support forum. So I hope you'll excuse me if it seems like I'm downplaying the significance.

We also hear about website breaches more often, and, fortunately, that's something that 1Password can help with to a large extent, since it makes it easy to minimize that sort of risk by using unique, random passwords for each site. So the "irony" of 1Password.com potentially being breached is not lost on us, and has been foremost in our minds during all of its ongoing development. From the beginning we recognized that we could be compromised someday, and that it wouldn't be acceptable to put this out into the world without a disaster plan. Otherwise, frankly, we wouldn't be comfortable using it ourselves. So what we've come up with, while it has involved a lot of work, is fairly simple in principle: 1Password encrypts the data locally on your device using your Master Password (and, with 1Password.com accounts, also the Secret Key); the encrypted data is sync'd and stored in the server; and the "keys" to decrypt that data are never transmitted to us. So even if someone breaks into 1Password.com and steals the encrypted database, they will not have the means to decrypt it; only the user does. That's why countless people around the world are able to use 1Password to store their most important data without losing sleep over it. After all, the losing sleep part is our job, as we continually work to secure 1Password, and participate in external audits and cooperate with independent security researchers as well, so we don't just have to take our own word for it.

And if I can keep my data only on my computer, how do I get rid of the duplicates? Can I delete one of the vaults? And, if so, which one? Thanks for your help.

Sure thing! Happy to help any time! I think this goes back to where the data is stored. I suspect that you have a Primary (local) vault with your data but also signed up for a 1Password.com account and copied it to a Personal/Private vault there, hence the "duplicates", which you'd see when viewing All Vaults at once — two vaults with the same data.

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

Whew, that's a lot of information! Thanks, I appreciate it!

If you have a Primary vault there, that's where all of your data is, and you don't have it configured to sync with Dropbox, iCloud, or something else, then that local vault exists only on that device and isn't being sync'd anywhere.

I do have a primary vault. I also have a personal vault. Should I delete one of them?

If you are not signed into an account in the app, you'll see "read only" and be offered the option to purchase. Let me know if you need any help with that.

I don't see an option to purchase, but I'm assuming that it will pop up when my free 30-day trial is up. If there's a way I can purchase it now without waiting I'd like to do so.

1Password encrypts the data locally on your device using your Master Password (and, with 1Password.com accounts, also the Secret Key); the encrypted data is sync'd and stored in the server; and the "keys" to decrypt that data are never transmitted to us. So even if someone breaks into 1Password.com and steals the encrypted database, they will not have the means to decrypt it; only the user does.

You make me feel much better, but I'll be honest that I'm not sure I will ever get to the point of being able to entrust my data outside of my computer. :)

I suspect that you have a Primary (local) vault with your data but also signed up for a 1Password.com account and copied it to a Personal/Private vault there, hence the "duplicates", which you'd see when viewing All Vaults at once — two vaults with the same data.

Since I do have a primary and a personal vault, should I delete the personal vault or will, as I saw in another post, purchasing version 7 resolve it all?

Thanks so much for your help!

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

@brenty, did you see my comments above? I forgot to address them to you so you would get a notification about them. Sorry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Whew, that's a lot of information! Thanks, I appreciate it!

@debstr: You're welcome! And sorry! Thanks for reading! :lol:

I do have a primary vault. I also have a personal vault. Should I delete one of them?

If you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account (Personal vault), then you can safely delete the local (Primary) vault. Please sign into the website and double check that you have everything there:

https://my.1password.com/vaults

If so, you can disable local vaults in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Advanced to remove the Primary vault.

I don't see an option to purchase, but I'm assuming that it will pop up when my free 30-day trial is up. If there's a way I can purchase it now without waiting I'd like to do so.

You'll be reminded before the 30 day trial is up, but you can subscribe any time through your account on the website:

https://my.1password.com/billing

You won't actually be charged until the trial is finished though. You'll get the full 30 days. :)

You make me feel much better, but I'll be honest that I'm not sure I will ever get to the point of being able to entrust my data outside of my computer. :)

I'm glad if I can help put you at ease, but the most important thing about 1Password is that its security isn't based on reassuring words; it's based on encryption. When you setup your account, you chose a Master Password, and a random Secret Key was created for you as well; these are both used to encrypt your data, and the only way to decrypt it is by using both of those. That's the only way we're okay with our data being stored on 1Password.com too: because those "keys" to decrypt it are never sent to 1Password.com. So only you have the power to access your data. :sunglasses:

Since I do have a primary and a personal vault, should I delete the personal vault or will, as I saw in another post, purchasing version 7 resolve it all? Thanks so much for your help!

With a 1Password.com membership, you don't need to purchase the apps at all; they're all included in your subscription!

@brenty, did you see my comments above? I forgot to address them to you so you would get a notification about them. Sorry.

No need to apologize! Doesn't hurt to @-mention me, but I actually get a notification either way. That's part of the reason for the delay getting back to you: I have a lot of notifications. Thanks for your patience! :blush:

• Retep_Nuk
    Retep_Nuk
    Community Member

@brenty According to me @debstr wants to keep his local (Primary) vault and NOT have his data on your server. So the vault named 'Personal' should be deleted. I just went through the upgrade process yesterday, but I'm OK with having my data on the server, so I deleted my old vault (which on Dropbox); that did the trick to remove all duplicates.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Retep_Nuk: I'm confused. According to you? 🤔 I think I should wait to hear back from them to see what they want. 😉 Glad that did the trick for you though. Cheers! 🙂

• Retep_Nuk
    Retep_Nuk
    Community Member

@brenty As @debstr mentioned:
    Ultimately I would like to buy the purchased version of 1PW7, if that still keeps my data on my own computer. Can I upgrade to 1PW7 and still keep my data on my own computer and not your server?

Then I understand that he’ll have to keep the local ‘Primary’ vault. Correct?

• I see. Yes, if that is the case the Primary vault is the one to keep. If you intend to use a membership but store your data in standalone vaults you can do that, but you won’t be able to get rid of the Personal vault. It doesn’t have to have any data in it, and you can effectively hide it pretty well (1Password > Preferences > All Vaults > uncheck Personal and change vault for saving to something sensible).

Ben

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Please sign into the website and double check that you have everything there: https://my.1password.com/vaults

@brenty After your explanation, which I admit I only partially understand, I've decided I'm willing to use your server, even though it scares me to death, if I can do it without a subscription. I'd rather do a one-time purchase than a monthly subscription. * That said, I do not have a secret key to when I go to the vault website, so I have no idea how to check it.*

*Edited to say that I just found a tag in my 1PW that was never there before called 'Starter Kit'. I guess my trial of 1PW7 put it there. But I found a secret key in that starter kit. Guess it's a good thing I changed my mind on using your server, because if I'd found this last week I'd would have lost my mind. LOL! I guess I need to see what else is in this new tag.

With a 1Password.com membership, you don't need to purchase the apps at all; they're all included in your subscription!

Is this true if I purchase a stand-alone program, too, and not the monthly subscription?

That's part of the reason for the delay getting back to you: I have a lot of notifications. Thanks for your patience!

No problem, I've been slow at responding, too. Life has a way of changing one's daily to-do list at the last minute...repeatedly.

Forgive me if I'm a dunce, but I'm in my mid-60's and tech doesn't come easily for me. But that is what has made me love 1Password, it makes things easy for me once I finally figure out how to do things in the beginning. It's just a bit of a learning curve that younger people probably don't have.

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

If you intend to use a membership but store your data in standalone vaults you can do that, but you won’t be able to get rid of the Personal vault.

@Ben Is this true if I do use your server, but purchase the program and not a monthly subscription?

Thanks

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

Using 1Password.com requires a membership (subscription). Membership includes all of the apps as well as upgrades. A standalone license does not.

I hope that helps clarify.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

After your explanation, which I admit I only partially understand, I've decided I'm willing to use your server, even though it scares me to death, if I can do it without a subscription. I'd rather do a one-time purchase than a monthly subscription.

@debstr: I'm glad you're giving it a try! Let us know if you have any questions. We all start at "partially understand". And getting a better understanding of how our important data is secured goes a long way toward making us feel secure too. :chuffed:

1Password.com memberships are a subscription, but you can choose an annual plan and save some money that way. Having access to all of the apps wherever you need them and an automatic offsite backup of important data saved in the 1Password account is well worth it, in my experience. :)

• That said, I do not have a secret key to when I go to the vault website, so I have no idea how to check it.*
      *Edited to say that I just found a tag in my 1PW that was never there before called 'Starter Kit'. I guess my trial of 1PW7 put it there. But I found a secret key in that starter kit. Guess it's a good thing I changed my mind on using your server, because if I'd found this last week I'd would have lost my mind. LOL! I guess I need to see what else is in this new tag.

Indeed, sorry for the confusion there! The Starter Kit is generated automatically when you setup your account. It's handy if you have access to 1Password on one of your devices. But also be sure to save your Emergency Kit through the website in case you ever need it:

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

Is this true if I purchase a stand-alone program, too, and not the monthly subscription?

No. If you go with a standalone license, they're each an individual purchase.

No problem, I've been slow at responding, too. Life has a way of changing one's daily to-do list at the last minute...repeatedly. Forgive me if I'm a dunce, but I'm in my mid-60's and tech doesn't come easily for me. But that is what has made me love 1Password, it makes things easy for me once I finally figure out how to do things in the beginning. It's just a bit of a learning curve that younger people probably don't have.

Hey, that's great! Thanks for the kind words. Indeed, just go at your own pace. As you get familiar with 1Password and think of other questions, just let us know. We're here for you. :)

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

1Password.com memberships are a subscription, but you can choose an annual plan and save some money that way. Having access to all of the apps wherever you need them and an automatic offsite backup of important data saved in the 1Password account is well worth it, in my experience. :)
    No. If you go with a standalone license, they're each an individual purchase.

Subscription models are a blood-sucker to me. I hate them and have an absolute refusal to ever do one. I won't be going with your server after all. I've been using 1Password for years without a subscription and whenever 1Password has required repurchase to keep it updated I've been happy to do that. I want to keep it that way. Since I refuse to access my data on any computer that is not my own (either computer, iPad or iPhone) and I back-up my data regularly on hard drives.

So how do I purchase the stand-alone license? And will that stand-alone program receive equal updates as the subscription over time, until you require a big update and repurchase? Or in addition to losing functionality will I be losing the ability to have updates and bug-fixes?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Subscription models are a blood-sucker to me. I hate them and have an absolute refusal to ever do one.

@debstr: Fair enough, but I do want to be clear that there is no actual blood involved. :lol: I used to feel the same way, but these days I've got several subscription services I'm not sure I could live without: 1Password, Netflix, TextExpander, Parallels, iCloud, Amazon Prime. Certainly a one-time payment is preferable in principle, but for the continued value I get out of those a subscription is more than worth it for me. :)

I won't be going with your server after all. I've been using 1Password for years without a subscription and whenever 1Password has required repurchase to keep it updated I've been happy to do that. I want to keep it that way. Since I refuse to access my data on any computer that is not my own (either computer, iPad or iPhone) and I back-up my data regularly on hard drives.

Make sure you keep a backup somewhere away from your home/business then though. Otherwise anything that wipes out your other devices is likely to wipe out your backups as well.

So how do I purchase the stand-alone license?

You can purchase it right within the app. When you setup 1Password with a standalone (local) vault instead of an account, it will prompt you to purchase if you don't already have a license.

And will that stand-alone program receive equal updates as the subscription over time, until you require a big update and repurchase? Or in addition to losing functionality will I be losing the ability to have updates and bug-fixes? Thanks!

While you won't get any of the features exclusive to 1Password.com, all minor updates (e.g. 7.x) are included in the license fee; major versions (e.g. 8.0) will be a paid upgrade. Cheers! :)

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

Fair enough, but I do want to be clear that there is no actual blood involved. :lol: I used to feel the same way, but these days I've got several subscription services I'm not sure I could live without: 1Password, Netflix, TextExpander, Parallels,

Geez @brenty, do you have to be so reasonable? :p Yes, I do have Netflix and iCloud storage subscriptions. I hadn't thought about that. Argh!

I guess I will think about it until my free subscription runs out and decides then.

Thanks for your help and sorry I'm such a nuisance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Geez @brenty, do you have to be so reasonable? :p

@debstr: Well, I don't have to, but I think it's better for everyone. hehe

Yes, I do have Netflix and iCloud storage subscriptions. I hadn't thought about that. Argh!

I hear you. I was a long time holdout for iCloud especially. I clung to that 5GB for well past when it was reasonable, and I couldn't even backup my devices to it. But I caved, a bit bitterly, if I'm honest, and I've felt better ever since, now that all of my photos (that's the vast majority of my storage space nowadays) are safely backed up there and available on all of my devices. Here's hoping that Apple raises the storage for each tier eventually, but I would lose my mind without device backups and my photos, so it's money I'm happy to spend. I feel the same way about 1Password -- especially since managing that kind of data is decidedly not something iCloud is very good at. ;)

I guess I will think about it until my free subscription runs out and decides then. Thanks for your help and sorry I'm such a nuisance.

You're not a nuisance at all! It's always a pleasure, and, indeed, this is why it's important for us to offer a free trial. I think we all have our weaknesses when it comes to blowing cash (pizza...), but for most things it can be tough to give away our hard earned money. This way you can see how 1Password.com helps you, and if you find that the value it offers is worth the cost to you. :)

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

I was a long time holdout for iCloud especially. I clung to that 5GB for well past when it was reasonable, and I couldn't even backup my devices to it

Funny you should mention that. I had no problem subscribing to Netflix, but subscribing to iCloud took me forever and I admit to this day when I see the monthly payment hit my checking account I have to grit my teeth. It's 99 cents and irritates me to death every month! Yeah, apparently I have issues.

@brenty Thanks again for your help!

• My only gripe there is I wish annual billing were an option. With my previous iCloud plan it was, but when I had to upgrade for more storage the only option was monthly billing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for taking the time to hear our position.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.